Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 10:44 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,913,300 times

Advertisements

This another one of those dumb ideas to solve a simple problem. I have a few ideas that would save this country bundles of wasted gasoline and take a swipe at obesity. Just ban drive thru service, at pharmacies, fast food restaurants, banks, Starbucks, etc. The only people who could use them are people who have handicapped stickers on their car. Helps the enviroment, saves money and forces people to get off their extremely large butts and walk. Just think of the cars at just one fast food outlets, multiply it by hundreds of thousands of other drive-thrus and you get the picture. I'm sure there are other simple solutions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2012, 04:06 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,194,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
This another one of those dumb ideas to solve a simple problem. I have a few ideas that would save this country bundles of wasted gasoline and take a swipe at obesity. Just ban drive thru service, at pharmacies, fast food restaurants, banks, Starbucks, etc. The only people who could use them are people who have handicapped stickers on their car. Helps the enviroment, saves money and forces people to get off their extremely large butts and walk. Just think of the cars at just one fast food outlets, multiply it by hundreds of thousands of other drive-thrus and you get the picture. I'm sure there are other simple solutions.
Obviously you never read the OP and didn't notice this thread has nothing to do with gasoline automobiles..

Open a new thread and take your soapbox there....

Quote:
With virtually zero emissions and at the cost of about a penny per kilometer, it is definitely one of the most environmentally and economically friendly vehicles in the world. The tank holds about 175 liters of compressed air that can be filled at special stations or by activating the on-board electric motor to suck air in from the outside. Costing about $10,000, this car could beat out most smart cars from the market.

Last edited by plwhit; 09-28-2012 at 04:22 PM..

Old 09-28-2012, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
My TOTALLY environmentally friendly VW Rabbit cost me $35. Gets 50 mpg on FREE FRYER oil, DID NOT require a zillion BTU's of production Capacity to build, has served me well for over 35 yrs, uses FREE / very cheap tires from Wrecking yard. Cost $200 / yr to insure, very light footpriunt on roads / parking. Can go cross country on 2 fill-ups (~ 6 chinese food joints)

Will haul 5 people and LOTS of building supplies (Built MANY houses using it as a truck.)

50 mpg since 1976, no OPEC or Dinosaurs required...

Check your neighbors brier patch, that's where you will find Rabbits, often for FREE!
Congratulations on your frugality

My Acura cost me $46,000.00, gets 24 MPG on the highway cruising at 95 MPH with the AC going full blast and the 1,000 watt amp at max playing Pink Floyd...

Don't care what it costs because I enjoy it...

I don't worry about the pollution it makes because I know there are 1,200,000,000 Chinese and 1,100,000,000 Indians making more pollution in one day than I will in my entire life....

So exactly what does boasting about ones car have to do with the OP?

Last edited by plwhit; 09-28-2012 at 04:38 PM..

Old 10-02-2012, 05:11 PM

645 posts, read 1,275,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Obviously you never read the OP and didn't notice this thread has nothing to do with gasoline automobiles..

Open a new thread and take your soapbox there....
The person you quoted actually had a valid point. The fact that the auto this thread's about does not use gasoline is a moot point in light of all the energy, including gasoline, that goes behind its manufacture, maintenance, and the expansive infrastructer that's got to be build and maintained as well. Hence, there is no such thing as an environmentally friendly automobile aka green.

Using this quote does not strengthen the point. I'm going to quote the unknown poster referenced by plwhit:

"With virtually zero emissions and at the cost of about a penny per kilometer, it is definitely one of the most environmentally and economically friendly vehicles in the world. The tank holds about 175 liters of compressed air that can be filled at special stations or by activating the on-board electric motor to suck air in from the outside. Costing about $10,000, this car could beat out most smart cars from the market."

This is yet another myth or half truth if you will. It takes energy to make energy, and compressed air is one of the least efficient means of energy usage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Congratulations on your frugality

My Acura cost me $46,000.00, gets 24 MPG on the highway cruising at 95 MPH with the AC going full blast and the 1,000 watt amp at max playing Pink Floyd...

Don't care what it costs because I enjoy it...

I don't worry about the pollution it makes because I know there are 1,200,000,000 Chinese and 1,100,000,000 Indians making more pollution in one day than I will in my entire life....

So exactly what does boasting about ones car have to do with the OP?
If billions of Indians and Chinese used energy in the same manner you're speaking of, not only would there be exponentially more pollution, but also fuel would be phenomenally more expensive due to supply and demand.

I'm not a greenie weanie. In fact, I think that the EPA is evil. However, I'd like to see our country return to 1900 - 1910 transportation. One mile away from me was a railroad line that not only hauled freight, but also passengers. From that spur line, I could connect to a small city 10 miles south where I could catch trains to any destination in America, Canada, and many points south of the border. Furthermore, from the small city south of me, I could ride the trolley and reach 25% of Pennsylvania. This was what transportation was like circa 1900. I don't think I have to explain how much less energy was used for these forms of transportation or delve into how much less infrastructure they uses and well as the few government personnel were only there for regulatory purposes not to maintain, build, and run them. Trolleys were quite fast. I can recall being with my older relatives born circa 1880s, and they loved "Lowe Thomas Remembers." I used to watch it with them. In one episode, they filmed a race between a trolley and a biplane. The biplane was capable of 80 -90 mph, yet the trolley simply walked away from the aircraft.

Since people have been duped into believing their cars give them more personal freedom, the only way we'll ever return to a truly greener form transpiration is for the cost of fuel, infrastructure, and the government agencies that run them to become too great to use, and we return to trains and trolleys. With the large government agencies, companies, and the like making billions off of the auto, and everybody believing their cars give them personal freedom, this will never happen until it becomes too expensive. Green cars are faux green because it's an impossibility. Even if we could make cars out of rainbows that ran on happy rays of light, we'd still need an ever increasing expanse of infrastructure to drive them on as well as all that goes into their maintenance, and the huge expensive government agencies that regulate, maintain, and seemly perpetuate our car based society.

Last edited by bolillo_loco; 10-02-2012 at 05:45 PM.. Reason: I am no Rhodes scholar...

Old 10-02-2012, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolillo_loco View Post
Using this quote does not strengthen the point. I'm going to quote the unknown poster referenced by plwhit:

"With virtually zero emissions and at the cost of about a penny per kilometer, it is definitely one of the most environmentally and economically friendly vehicles in the world. The tank holds about 175 liters of compressed air that can be filled at special stations or by activating the on-board electric motor to suck air in from the outside. Costing about $10,000, this car could beat out most smart cars from the market."
Sorry 'bout the source, nobody has brought it up before and I usually include it....

This Tiny Pod Car Runs On Air | GizmoCrazed

Quote:
This is yet another myth or half truth if you will. It takes energy to make energy, and compressed air is one of the least efficient means of energy usage.
I can safely say every poster here knows it takes energy to make energy, it's not cosmic or rocket science....

Quote:
If billions of Indians and Chinese used energy in the same manner you're speaking of, not only would there be exponentially more pollution, but also fuel would be phenomenally more expensive due to supply and demand.
Don't you listen to the tree huggers and environmental fanatics?

It's America that's destroying the world!!!

Quote:
I'm not a greenie weanie. In fact, I think that the EPA is evil. However, I'd like to see our country return to 1900 - 1910 transportation. One mile away from me was a railroad line that not only hauled freight, but also passengers. From that spur line, I could connect to a small city 10 miles south where I could catch trains to any destination in America, Canada, and many points south of the border. Furthermore, from the small city south of me, I could ride the trolley and reach 25% of Pennsylvania. This was what transportation was like circa 1900. I don't think I have to explain how much less energy was used for these forms of transportation or delve into how much less infrastructure they uses and well as the few government personnel were only there for regulatory purposes not to maintain, build, and run them. Trolleys were quite fast. I can recall being with my older relatives born circa 1880s, and they loved "Lowe Thomas Remembers." I used to watch it with them. In one episode, they filmed a race between a trolley and a biplane. The biplane was capable of 80 -90 mph, yet the trolley simply walked away from the aircraft.

Since people have been duped into believing their cars give them more personal freedom, the only way we'll ever return to a truly greener form transpiration is for the cost of fuel, infrastructure, and the government agencies that run them to become too great to use, and we return to trains and trolleys. With the large government agencies, companies, and the like making billions off of the auto, and everybody believing their cars give them personal freedom, this will never happen until it becomes too expensive. Green cars are faux green because it's an impossibility. Even if we could make cars out of rainbows that ran on happy rays of light, we'd still need an ever increasing expanse of infrastructure to drive them on as well as all that goes into their maintenance, and the huge expensive government agencies that regulate, maintain, and seemly perpetuate our car based society.
This exact same thing (trains) is being heavily debated in another forum, why not join in?

https://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...c-culture.html

BTW, I love the old trains, am a member of the TCA......

I say slow the pace of American life down and bring back the luxurious sleepers that they used on the transcontinental runs....

One of the most awesome engines every made....

The Union Pacific Big Boy 4-8-8-4

Last edited by plwhit; 10-02-2012 at 09:18 PM..

Old 10-02-2012, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolillo_loco View Post
The person you quoted actually had a valid point. The fact that the auto this thread's about does not use gasoline is a moot point in light of all the energy, including gasoline, that goes behind its manufacture, maintenance, and the expansive infrastructer that's got to be build and maintained as well. Hence, there is no such thing as an environmentally friendly automobile aka green.
This valid point?

Just ban drive thru service, at pharmacies, fast food restaurants, banks, Starbucks, etc. The only people who could use them are people who have handicapped stickers on their car.

So that posters idea will put trucking businesses out of work put hundreds if not thousands of people out of work, take the trucks off the road because with the businesses closed they have no deliveries. Now the trucking company goes Chap 11, All the taxes the company paid to the state(s) and federal government for using the roads disappear. The tax revenue <poof> gone $0.0.

I think compressed air or hydrogen car are the future because it doesn't disrupt the driving experience and habits of the driver.

Old 10-08-2012, 11:21 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,400,123 times
that's something that would be cool out by where I live, in NYC or the surrounding large city-burbs...like Hoboken. But I imagine us Americans will have a hard time sitting in that since everyone will make fun of the driver. But, hey...it's never stopped men from buying Miatas...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living