Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2012, 08:37 AM

765 posts, read 2,441,233 times

Advertisements

I recently bought biodegradable dog poop bags, is there anything wrong with tossing them into the yard waste piles on the street? I live in California and our yard waste is collected from piles on the street for recycling.

I would assume that there is plenty of actual dog poop in the piles from the lawn clippings, but what about the "biodegradable" bags?

Thanks in advance!
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2012, 12:15 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,947,979 times
It's highly unlikely that it would be acceptable to put pet poo in yard waste collection since most of that gets composted or mulched and made available for gardens... and current standards say no dog or cat poop in garden compost due to parasite and pathogen risk.

I know in Seattle that pet waste had to be double-bagged and disposed of in the regular garbage, so I assume that rule would apply to Cali as well since their Health & Sanitation regs are even more stringent.

Old 09-10-2012, 01:00 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,201,643 times
Wouldn't moving this topic to the California forum (or one of it's sub-forums) get more specific answers?

Old 09-10-2012, 01:55 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,284,780 times
easybay...how would you like to be the guy that's probably picking all that gross dog doo out of the yard waste collection...totally gross, you sound like you've got your own yard, why don't YOU do something with your dogs POO.

Old 09-10-2012, 02:39 PM

765 posts, read 2,441,233 times
Seriously????? A tractor comes wheeling down the road and gathers up the yard waste and puts it into a dump truck for it to be ground up into compost. You really think that it is MANUALLY sorted? Guys with rakes? Pulling a baggy of dog poop out of the tons of leaves, trees, lawn clippings.........what century do you live in?

Geez, it's gets tiring, trying to do the right thing, PICKING up my dogs crap when I'm out on a walk, and buying the biodegradable doggy bags only to get beat up on. SORRY for trying to be a responsible pet owner, and for asking the question of whether the bag actually decomposes.

Old 09-10-2012, 03:10 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,371,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easybay View Post
Seriously????? A tractor comes wheeling down the road and gathers up the yard waste and puts it into a dump truck for it to be ground up into compost. You really think that it is MANUALLY sorted? Guys with rakes? Pulling a baggy of dog poop out of the tons of leaves, trees, lawn clippings.........what century do you live in?

Geez, it's gets tiring, trying to do the right thing, PICKING up my dogs crap when I'm out on a walk, and buying the biodegradable doggy bags only to get beat up on. SORRY for trying to be a responsible pet owner, and for asking the question of whether the bag actually decomposes.
PLWHIT is right. None of us can really do more than speculate regarding whether or not you're allowed to do this. That's based on local municipalities' codes.

To me personally, the idea that "manure" should not be allowed in compost is absolutely absurd. Manure has always been used as fertilizer. And the idea that bacteria/germs are going to leach from the manure into your garden produce is an extreme stretch. The composting/fermenting/decomposition process pretty much takes care of that.

My two dogs poop in our back yard. We do not pick it up, but let it dry & decompose. We have absolutely no problems with it.

Old 09-10-2012, 03:26 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,947,979 times
WRT the biodegradable bags, I use them when I take my dog into town. I just chuck them into our compost pile here at home and they do break down. Some brands break down faster than others, I've had some that took less than 6 months and others that took nearly 2 years.

Old 09-10-2012, 03:38 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post
To me personally, the idea that "manure" should not be allowed in compost is absolutely absurd. Manure has always been used as fertilizer. And the idea that bacteria/germs are going to leach from the manure into your garden produce is an extreme stretch. The composting/fermenting/decomposition process pretty much takes care of that.
All "manure" is not manure , using dog waste is risky.

Glad I live in the middle of nowhere and don;t have to deal with it anymore, I haven't seen my dog take a dump in 2 years. She goes up in the woods somewhere, I'm sure I'll find the spot one of these days.

Old 09-10-2012, 11:13 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,483,331 times
This is true, all manure is not manure that belongs in compost piles. Would you think it would be ok for your dog or cat to poop in your veggie garden, no.

Old 09-11-2012, 07:31 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,995,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
This is true, all manure is not manure that belongs in compost piles. Would you think it would be ok for your dog or cat to poop in your veggie garden, no.
Your cat certainly poops in the vegetable garden. You just don't see it. Cats are sneaky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living