Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 05:57 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
The new connector on the iPhone has huge speed advantages over the older one,.........
I can't seem to find any specs listed, do you know what they are?

USB2 is listed at 450Mbps, Tom's Hardware has some real world averages listed here averaging about as high as 30MB/s:

Read Transfer Rate : IcyDock's MB559 Happily Marries eSATA and USB 2.0

Realistically a faster connector is only going to come into play if you're transferring a lot of images or video.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 10:49 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,445,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I can't seem to find any specs listed, do you know what they are?

USB2 is listed at 450Mbps, Tom's Hardware has some real world averages listed here averaging about as high as 30MB/s:

Read Transfer Rate : IcyDock's MB559 Happily Marries eSATA and USB 2.0

Realistically a faster connector is only going to come into play if you're transferring a lot of images or video.
I have not seen any specs yet, but I have not specifically looked for them yet either. It is a proprietary Apple connector though, and I understand the backlash against going with it. Especially given Apple's history of keeping their proprietary designs as industry standards.

But on the other hand, I see Apple's side, it's obvious that the iPhone 5 is geared towards playing videos. This necessitates a faster connection, a faster processor, and a bigger screen.

Old 09-20-2012, 06:20 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
But on the other hand, I see Apple's side, it's obvious that the iPhone 5 is geared towards playing videos. This necessitates a faster connection, a faster processor, and a bigger screen.
At 450Mbps assuming you could sustain max speed (which isn't going to happen) you could stream the equivalent of 18 bluray discs simultaneously. A higher transfer rate is only going to come into play when you're transferring really large amounts of data between two devices, e.g. you shoot some video with your phone and want to transfer it to a desktop and typically anything made by such phone isn't going o be anywhere near the data rate of Bluray disc.

Old 09-26-2012, 03:50 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,950,199 times
I think the beef is that Apple's proprietary connection is not the standard form factor and isn't backward compatible with the standard. There is no practical reason improved performance can't be acheived with the same size/shape connector or that the new ports and peripherals shouldn't work with other/older equipment (without the performance enhancements, of course).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living