Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 06:57 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times

Advertisements

OFF is the most economical setting. As cool as tolerable is almost as good so long as the pipes don't freeze.

Realistically that means wearing a sweater or a heavy cotton shirt instead of a t-shirt. Try sitting with a blanket over your lap while watching TV. Baking bread and cooking supper instead of going out or using microwave stuff. Replace your florescent bulbs with incandescent "heat globes". Use small heaters in the bathrooms. Most of all make certain the insulation is complete and functional.

Mostly it means trading spring and fall comfort for saved money. This is second nature to us old time Yankees. We do not expect comfort in the winter or high summer and are not willing to waste money to achieve it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 09:54 AM

12,262 posts, read 24,457,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
OFF is the most economical setting. As cool as tolerable is almost as good so long as the pipes don't freeze.

Realistically that means wearing a sweater or a heavy cotton shirt instead of a t-shirt. Try sitting with a blanket over your lap while watching TV. Baking bread and cooking supper instead of going out or using microwave stuff. Replace your florescent bulbs with incandescent "heat globes". Use small heaters in the bathrooms. Most of all make certain the insulation is complete and functional.

Mostly it means trading spring and fall comfort for saved money. This is second nature to us old time Yankees. We do not expect comfort in the winter or high summer and are not willing to waste money to achieve it.
That is not something I am willing to trade and why I spend the extra money to keep my house at the temperature I want.

Old 10-18-2012, 10:11 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,374,505 times
In my house it doesn't matter what you set it at, it will blow CONSTANTLY.

So I keep it around 70-ish.

I'm working on getting new thermostats with an adjustable temp differential so it won't kick back on again until it drops a few degrees below what I have it set at but that's probably more for dust mitigation than energy conservation.

Ah they joys of electric heat pumps outside of their intended range.

Old 10-18-2012, 04:57 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,944,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post

Good tips, but be aware that you're just trading the power/fuel usage from one appliance to another... but at least you get food and light out of the deal

Old 10-21-2012, 03:52 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,989,918 times
It makes no sense to install incandescent bulbs as a source of heat.

Old 10-21-2012, 05:06 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
It makes no sense to install incandescent bulbs as a source of heat.
If you have electric heat it does. There is no savings with fluorescent over incandescent if you have resistant electric heat.

Old 10-23-2012, 07:10 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,989,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
If you have electric heat it does. There is no savings with fluorescent over incandescent if you have resistant electric heat.
If you heat your house with electric resistance heat you have bigger problems than light bulbs.

Old 11-03-2012, 11:00 AM

244 posts, read 390,389 times
73-75 here, I never understood the dropping the temp , the system has to work harder longer to bring the temp back up so You just pissed away all the savings you had by it not running to keep the reguler temp, when you let the temp drop everything in the house gets cold, then you not only have to warm the air back up you have to warm every solid thing in the house... Its a waste.

Old 11-04-2012, 06:32 PM

18,469 posts, read 31,630,721 times
I hate people when they ( and I include a lot of my friends) constantly keep adjusting the temperature on the thermometer. Doesn't it cost more to the re-heat what you have just lowered?, to me makes no sense.

My parents have a house since 1965, the thermometer was set on 72, I am asssuming that is the temp my parents like.....it is 72 at midnight, 6am, and 2 pm. It is always 72. It never gets touched.
If it is 20 outside it is 72 inside. If it is 60 outside it is 72 inside.

all the time morning noon and night, 72 degrees.

I remember growing up, we never talked about being too hot, or too cold, the house was always 72............................no one ever noticed the temperature, and thats when its the perfect temp, when you dont notice being too hot or too cold

I dont get the people that constantly raise and loewr the temperature???

whats the point???

Old 11-05-2012, 12:15 AM

1,073 posts, read 1,796,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I hate people when they ( and I include a lot of my friends) constantly keep adjusting the temperature on the thermometer. Doesn't it cost more to the re-heat what you have just lowered?, to me makes no sense.

My parents have a house since 1965, the thermometer was set on 72, I am asssuming that is the temp my parents like.....it is 72 at midnight, 6am, and 2 pm. It is always 72. It never gets touched.
If it is 20 outside it is 72 inside. If it is 60 outside it is 72 inside.

all the time morning noon and night, 72 degrees.

I remember growing up, we never talked about being too hot, or too cold, the house was always 72............................no one ever noticed the temperature, and thats when its the perfect temp, when you dont notice being too hot or too cold

I dont get the people that constantly raise and loewr the temperature???

whats the point???
Uhm, I would have had a constant cold growing up in your house! Problem with 72 is you're too cold in the Summer and too warm in the Winter! (Depending on where you live, of course.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living