Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 10:37 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times

Advertisements

Even at 240V the charge time for the Model S is 12 hours.

Your posts become increasingly incomprehensible. Try consolidating your thoughts into paragraphs and maybe I'll read them in more detail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2012, 10:37 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,194,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
I was actually surprised to see that 1 hour number, too. But that is not Rocket Science there either. It is just a parallel that double feeds the battery pack. Hardly even anything innovative. Just popped that in because you kept coming up with totally wack stupid routine -- it takes ten weeks to charge it for a one hour run type -- crap.
American homes typically get power at up to 240 volts and 200 amps and the normal three-prong outlets in the house supply it at 120 volts and 15 amps per circuit. Those standard outlets are what is known as a level 1 supply. The so-called level 2 charging stations can provide 240 volts and up to 60 amps but most homes are only wired for 30 amp, 240 volt circuits for devices like dryers and ovens. Most home level 2 stations are likely to be sitting on these 30 amp circuits. A 60 A circuit can push 14.4 kilowatts of power while a 30 A circuit does about 6.5 kW after accounting for losses in transformers. That reduced output means more than double the charging time.

However, the real bottleneck in these first EVs will be the on-board chargers that convert the AC to DC for the battery. The Nissan Leaf and Chevrolet Volt are equipped with 3.3 kW chargers which will double the charge time again. In the case of the Volt, with its smaller 16 kilowatt-hour battery (of which only 8 kWh is used), it should be able to charge in 3-4 hours on a 30 A level 2 station. The Leaf, on the other hand, uses about 90 percent of it 24 kWh capacity and will need 10-12 hours to fully charge.

In the case of the Volt, General Motors likely opted for the lower-power, lower-cost charger because the smaller battery could get by with it and slower charging will help avoid overcharging that can slash battery life. Nissan hand probably chose the 3.3 kW charger because it's a closer match for the 200 V/15 A circuits used in Japan.

Finally, because of its range extender and smaller battery, the Volt doesn't have support for DC fast charging (sometimes called, somewhat erroneously, level 3 charging). The Leaf will have optional support for 400 V DC charging, but since no AC-DC conversion is needed, this big-pipe technique simply bypasses the on-board charger and the energy goes straight to the battery.

Electric vehicle charging times will depend on both the charging station and the car

Old 11-29-2012, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post

Your posts become increasingly incomprehensible. Try consolidating your thoughts into paragraphs and maybe I'll read them in more detail.
Backup FACTS for Drover:

Quote:
EPA-rated power consumption for the 85 kWh model (with a starting price of $69,900 after the $7,500 federal tax credit) is 38 kWh/100 miles combined (38 kWh city, 37 kWh highway).

The battery is warrantied for 8 years, unlimited miles. Charge time at 240V according to the EPA is 12 hours. The Model S is equipped with a 10 kW capable on-board charger with the following input compatibility: 85-265 V, 45-65 Hz, 1-40 A. With a High Power Wall Connector and Twin Chargers (i.e., 20 kW capable), Model S can be recharged at the rate of 62 miles of range per hour. The 85 kWh version of the Model S is “Supercharger” equipped, allowing fast charging that will replenish 160 miles of travel in about 30 minutes when applied to the 85 kWh vehicle.

Green Car Congress: EPA rating for 85 kWh Tesla Model S: 89 MPGe, 265-mile range

Old 11-29-2012, 10:47 PM

This thread has gotten too serious.... time for a break....

BIGFOOT #20 - First Electric Monster Truck Car Crush - YouTube!

Old 11-29-2012, 10:49 PM

This thread has gotten too serious.... time for a break....

Old 11-29-2012, 11:36 PM

Hey I can put to rest this EV discussion real easy....

The Illuminati have build thousands of miles of underground highways and railroad tracks in Ozark, lets start using the for public transportation..

It would be a no-brainer to fit pantographs on the top of those railroad cars.

Never have to worry about weather disrupting the train traffic.....

Here are the tunnels I'm talking about: (at about the 5 minute mark they are entering the tunnels)

Jesse Ventura Ozark illuminati Underground - YouTube

Old 11-29-2012, 11:40 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,544,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post

Probably because I am just dealing in repeat and un-cited nonsense from you? Really am. Not that I mind, it is a bit amusing. But just saying.

So now we are down from 16 hours (unknown basis) to 12 hours (also unknown basis)?

Never did tell me where the 16 hours came from, but it seems to have gone away?

Maybe this is like a Reverse Auction or something.

Do I hear 10 hours, who will give me 10 hours? 8 -- what about 8 hours?

Look -- let's cut out this never-ending stream of made-up BS and just go straight to the source?

Let's maybe try Tesla? They should know, right? Even have a Calculator for us . . .

===============

Charging Model S | Tesla Motors

Kind of fun. Here are the numbers it is showing:

If I set the miles at 150 -- my typical 1 way trip --

and the charger at a simple single 240 V, 40 Amp plug --

Time: 4:43 Hours
Cost: $3.40 @ 8 cents per kWh
Energy: 42.5 kWh.

About 5 hours (hmm, not 12. Are you starting to see why I think you sound like a total bs-er?)

---------------------

But let's say I am in a hurry. Not going to sleep 5 hours tonight, only 2 or 3. So I get the High Power Wall Connector -- 240 V, 80 Amps, Twin Charger. Miles still set at 150 . . . and we get . . .

Time: 2:21 Hours

A little under 2-1/2 hours.

(starting to think maybe your advice would go over well at GM . . . )

----------------------

So let's wrap this up, and set it at the Max 300 miles Road Trip.

Again 240 V, 80 Amps, High Power Wall Connector, Twin Charger.

Cost: $6.79 @ 8 cents per kWh
Energy: 84.9 kWh.

------------------------

Game Over?

Old 11-29-2012, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
Probably because I am just dealing in repeat and un-cited nonsense from you? Really am. Not that I mind, it is a bit amusing. But just saying.

So now we are down from 16 hours (unknown basis) to 12 hours (also unknown basis)?

Never did tell me where the 16 hours came from, but it seems to have gone away?

Maybe this is like a Reverse Auction or something.

Do I hear 10 hours, who will give me 10 hours? 8 -- what about 8 hours?

Look -- let's cut out this never-ending stream of made-up BS and just go straight to the source?

Let's maybe try Tesla? They should know, right? Even have a Calculator for us . . .

===============

Charging Model S | Tesla Motors

Kind of fun. Here are the numbers it is showing:

If I set the miles at 150 -- my typical 1 way trip --

and the charger at a simple single 240 V, 40 Amp plug --

About 5 hours (hmm, not 12. Are you starting to see why I think you sound like a total bs-er?)

---------------------

But let's say I am in a hurry. Not going to sleep 5 hours tonight, only 2 or 3. So I get the High Power Wall Connector -- 240 V, 80 Amps, Twin Charger. Miles still set at 150 . . . and we get . . .

Time: 2:21 Hours

A little under 2-1/2 hours.

(starting to think maybe your advice would go over well at GM . . . )

----------------------

So let's wrap this up, and set it at the Max 300 miles Road Trip.

Again 240 V, 80 Amps, High Power Wall Connector, Twin Charger.

Cost: $6.79 @ 8 cents per kWh
Energy: 84.9 kWh.
------------------------

Game Over?
With you nose stuck so far into the air you missed this:

Green Car Congress: EPA rating for 85 kWh Tesla Model S: 89 MPGe, 265-mile range

And this:

Electric vehicle charging times will depend on both the charging station and the car

And this:

Alternative Fuels Data Center: Developing Infrastructure to Charge Plug-In Electric Vehicles

As the technology, both charging and batteries gets refined the charging times will somewhat decrease but of course that means the vehicle charging cost will come up....

And we still have that nasty problem of where these EV charging stations will be located, who will build them, who will fund them and who will repair/clean these stations once the tag artists get creative on them.

Old 11-30-2012, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post

~ Dallas - ninth largest city in America

~ Houston - fourth largest city in America

~ san Antonio - seventh largest city in America

Top 50 Cities in the U.S. by Population and Rank — Infoplease.com
Yeah . . . and in all those (granted Texas) cities, generally poorer folks live in apartments. We used to. No shame in that, just the way things are. Next tier up tends to be rental houses -- that would be us, now. Next up is Home Owners. Those folks usually represent folks capable of actually buying bigger ticket items. Like a new EV. Do not follow your problem in this. Maybe you should check some of the wider-world?

Quote:
Visiting and living someplace are two totally different things to normal people, but of course someone with your immense intellectual capacity and massive intuitive powers you understand everything with just a glance....
Nope. That is why I asked you the straight simple question.

The Question: Do / Did you need a car to get around in NYC?

I guess you are not capable of a straight simple answer?

Quote:
Ahhh, technobabble at it's finest...
I can draw cartoons if that makes it simple enough for you to understand?

Quote:
One can use the FUD factor and find something wrong/bad/dangerous/polluting in everything that touches our lives, seems you just have blinders on and concentrate on gasoline.....
Gasoline (and Diesel) is a/the major source of air pollution in most cities.

And generates Massive amounts of CO2 all along the production, distribution and use path.

Do you really not understand that?

Not too hard to be "Greener" than Gasoline.

Quote:
So in a city you propose to place the EV charging stations where exactly? Remember, the city owns the right-of-way on the sidewalks (and Unions do the actual work)..
Most cities seem to want them.

Dallas is even putting in free charging stations.

TXU Energy and City of Dallas Take Charge with Electric Vehicles in Dallas | TXU Energy

Yunno you would not look so dumb if you would research the topics . . . even just a little bit.

Quote:

Yes, we can see from the sales figures of EV's the huge public clamor for them. After they rent these EV vehicles just where do they go to get them recharged? Do they now have to take into consideration if the hotel has 20 EV charging stations and what type they are???

A businessman flies into San Antonio International and rents an EV car to take him to Ft. Stockton. 311 miles each way and FT Stockton has no EV charging stations.... oh yeah...

You should appear on Comedy Central, your act is hilarious...
Who is renting EVs? Are you on the wrong medication or something?

The Charging Stations at the Airports are in the Parking Garages.

Folks park their car there, take a day business flight and come back and the car is charged.

Old 11-30-2012, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
With you nose stuck so far into the air you missed this:

Which sez:

Quote:
The 85 kWh version of the Model S is “Supercharger” equipped, allowing fast charging that will replenish 160 miles of travel in about 30 minutes when applied to the 85 kWh vehicle.
30 Minutes. Time is shrinking faster by the post.

Holy crapola! I am barely going to have time for a Lap Dance at the Breast Tavern before the car is charged and I have to head back down the road.

You know what is comical to me on this? You have spent more time saying how long it will take to charge the car than . . . it takes to charge the car!

You gotta be retired or something, huh?

Mind if I just skip down the rest of your nonsense?

Quote:
As the technology, both charging and batteries gets refined the charging times will somewhat decrease but of course that means the vehicle charging cost will come up....
This is something.

You mean better electronic technology and equipment makes costs go up?

Glad I stuck with that $2000 Apple II PC.

Quote:
And we still have that nasty problem of where these EV charging stations will be located, who will build them, who will fund them and who will repair/clean these stations once the tag artists get creative on them.
And whether there will be Starbucks served at the charging station.

If so, I am betting they will be chock full of Elite Arrogant Snobs or some such cutting bidness deals.

Nasty problems abound.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living