Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 01:08 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,426,086 times

Advertisements

Electric dragsters may eventually go faster than a top fueled dragster but theres more to dragracing than just the element of speed, take this race as an example, now imagine the same pass with two dragsters sounding like sewing machines.

NHRA "Greatest quarter mile pass of all time" - YouTube

Yeah i know its a bit dated..but it gets the point across theres a lot of ambiance in those 8000hp fire breathing thunder machines,,.. electrics? maybe not so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 04:28 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,162,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEtechs View Post
But could a human survive going from zero MPH to 1000 MPH in less than 2 seconds?
The short answer is yes,the key is it's a short period of time. I don't know what the acceleration was but the military tested human endurance with a rocket sleds back in the 50/60's using live test subjects and they were up to ridiculous amounts of G force for a very short time in excess of 40 G's. If I recall there was no long term effects but the subject had temporary vision problems etc.

-------edit-------

43 G's.... they accelerated him to 630 MPH but they stopped him in about second or so.

Old 12-17-2012, 04:50 AM

5 posts, read 18,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayabone View Post
Don Garlits is testing an electric dragster this weekend in Florida. 7 seconds, 200 MPH. Story in Competition plus.
A 7500 HP electric motor would be as big as a very large building...
Not true. A 7,500 HP motor is about the size of a midsize bedroom. You must be thinking of a 75,000 HP motor which is bigger than a large scale house!!

Here is a test run of 7,500 HP, AC induction motor, with its air-to-air heat exchanger removed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciJtbY-JcaM

Here is a 10,000 HP, AC induction motor, with its air-to-air heat exchanger installed: 10,000 HP 715 RPM INDUCTION MOTOR - IN STOCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Then it's not faster. You're comparing apples to sidewalks. It's not an electric dragster.
Please read all of post number 3. Notice that even if you do the indirect method with a Caterpillar Diesel or with the top fuel dragster engine of the same horsepower moving the same conveyor system would still lose against this electric setup. So there is your sidewalk to sidewalk comparison. Ultimately, you must realize that it will never be possible to make batteries light enough to carry to not be a burden to a dragster on wheels. The electric motor can be made light if it is like a 400 Hertz or 1200 Hertz design, but then be expected to pay a serious price increase since 60 Hertz motors are the most common which makes these high frequency motors a special design with very low volume of sells.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Electric dragsters may eventually go faster than a top fueled dragster but theres more to dragracing than just the element of speed, take this race as an example, now imagine the same pass with two dragsters sounding like sewing machines.

NHRA "Greatest quarter mile pass of all time" - YouTube

Yeah i know its a bit dated..but it gets the point across theres a lot of ambiance in those 8000hp fire breathing thunder machines,,.. electrics? maybe not so much
Which is why I stated electric will never take off as a profitable racing sport, because it is missing soul like I stated in post number one. But electric is faster with indirect method vs. indirect method or even indirect electric dragster vs. tire traction direct top fuel dragster, it just does not matter though as we will never see electric hit mainstream TV that the general audience would watch because of how boring it would be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
The short answer is yes,the key is it's a short period of time. I don't know what the acceleration was but the military tested human endurance with a rocket sleds back in the 50/60's using live test subjects and they were up to ridiculous amounts of G force for a very short time in excess of 40 G's. If I recall there was no long term effects but the subject had temporary vision problems etc.

-------edit-------

43 G's.... they accelerated him to 630 MPH but they stopped him in about second or so.

WOW! I never would have known a human could survive so many G's. I suppose I need to revise my talking points in post number one about the G's being too much.

Last edited by EEtechs; 12-17-2012 at 05:24 AM..

Old 12-18-2012, 06:00 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,890,148 times
Default Electric reaction drive dragster?

If the dragster was powered by electromagnetic induction to a strip of metal down the middle of a track and the energy supplied by power strips alongside the reaction rail I believe a LIM Dragster could be quicker and faster than a Top Fuel car. This set up amounts to a giant slot car or very special rail gun. With the energy supply outside the vehicle and only the power conversion and a very shock resistant driver aboard this could be a very fast device.

If the car has to carry all of the energy aboard it will never be as fast as an top fuel Dragster because there is no battery technology available that can store as much energy, even after conversion to traction, than a few hundred pounds of 95% Nitromethane.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:22 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,460,460 times
Yawn. You can produce about 10X that horsepower with a turbopump engine, about the same size as a typical V8. Produces about 80hp/lb. I also imagine it would probably kill the driver due to G-forces, and deafen everyone watching the drag race.
Whereas an electric drag car may beat a top-fuel, a turbine dragster will smoke both of them, hands-down (and also blow through a ridiculous amount of fuel).
(As a hobby I play with gas turbines, but more for rockets than cars).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living