Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 10:18 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,198,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
No, the EU is struggling with a dysfunctional governing system at the financial level. Ultimately they need to form a United States of Europe with a strong central government. As we found out early on, weak central government doesn't work well.
Funny, what I read in the various european newspapers is that the citizens are starting to get fed up with multiculturalism because their countries are being overwhelmed by foreigners.....

Quote:
They aren't in many European countries, particularly Germany
I highly suggest you start following their newspapers, they are saying something else...... (Unless you only believe what the American MSM feeds you)

International - SPIEGEL ONLINE - News

TOP STORIES | DW.DE

All is not rosy in Germany...

Quote:
Bicycle travel is the fastest growing form of commuting in several cities in the United States. In Washington DC the Capital Bike Share programs has 100 to 200 thousand bike trips per month.
Amongst who? the environmentalists and hipsters?

Yup, they sure are and the death tolls reflect that.....

Not to worry, our politicians as soon as they see a real increase in bicycle usage they will slap a hefty tax on that too.... (and probably pass a law that requires bicycle riders to have a valid bicycle riders license)....

Did you forget a politicians mantra?

IF IT MOVES TAX IT

Last edited by plwhit; 03-30-2013 at 10:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2013, 11:45 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,993,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Funny, what I read in the various european newspapers is that the citizens are starting to get fed up with multiculturalism because their countries are being overwhelmed by foreigners.....
Their concern with multiculturalism isn't with fellow EUs.

Quote:
I highly suggest you start following their newspapers, they are saying something else...... (Unless you only believe what the American MSM feeds you)

International - SPIEGEL ONLINE - News

TOP STORIES | DW.DE

All is not rosy in Germany...
Better yet travel there and see for yourself. I find newspapers to be a relatively poor source of information. They print what is spectacular and controversial.

Quote:
Amongst who? the environmentalists and hipsters?

Yup, they sure are and the death tolls reflect that.....

Not to worry, our politicians as soon as they see a real increase in bicycle usage they will slap a hefty tax on that too.... (and probably pass a law that requires bicycle riders to have a valid bicycle riders license)....

Did you forget a politicians mantra?

IF IT MOVES TAX IT
There is really no cure for those who seek ignorance. There aren't 200K hipsters in Washington and those people usually own their bikes. These are short term rentals.
Read some of those newspapers you seem so fond of. The program in Washington is called Capital Bike Share.

Old 03-30-2013, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Their concern with multiculturalism isn't with fellow EUs.
It's not fellow EU citizens that are overrunning the EU countries.....

Quote:
Better yet travel there and see for yourself. I find newspapers to be a relatively poor source of information. They print what is spectacular and controversial.
So you live in Germany? Otherwise how did you discover just how good it is over in Germany? Crystal Ball? Mind reading perhaps?

Traveling to another country does not put you in the same mindset as the people who have lived there all their lives.....

Quote:
There is really no cure for those who seek ignorance. There aren't 200K hipsters in Washington and those people usually own their bikes. These are short term rentals.
Read some of those newspapers you seem so fond of. The program in Washington is called Capital Bike Share.
Oh? So to quote someone:

Quote:
Bicycle travel is the fastest growing form of commuting in several cities in the United States.
These cities are being taken over by hipsters?

I trust what media says in America as much as I trust politicians and environmentalists.....

Every time they put pen to paper, fingers on keyboards or open their mouths they are liars, cheats, thieves and charlatans.....

Instead of taxing gasoline why don't we put a separate tax on people who whine moan and wring their hands that mankind is destroying the environment?

Last edited by plwhit; 03-30-2013 at 01:36 PM..

Old 03-30-2013, 01:42 PM

Quote:
It's not fellow EU citizens that are overrunning the EU countries.....
The subject was stability of the EU. Not non-EU immigrants.

Quote:
So you live in Germany? Otherwise how did you discover just how good it is over in Germany? Crystal Ball? Mind reading perhaps?

Traveling to another country does not put you in the same mindset as the people who have lived there all their lives.....

Oh? So to quote someone:

These cities are being taken over by hipsters?

I''ll quote someone else here:

I trust what media says in America as much as I trust politicians and environmentalists.....

Every time they put pen to paper, fingers on keyboards or open their mouths they are liars, cheats, thieves and charlatans.....

Instead of taxing gasoline why don't we put a separate tax on people who whine moan and wring their hands that mankind is destroying the environment?
I travel there periodically on business and know a dozen or so Germans. Germany in many areas is remarkably like the US. Much of it was completely rebuilt after WWII and the Germans love cars every bit as much as people in the US. They have made better choices in mass transit in many of their cities.

Old 03-30-2013, 01:50 PM

Quote:
The subject was stability of the EU. Not non-EU immigrants.
I brought up it's citizens because they are the ones starting to howl over the EU free access laws between countries......

Quote:
I travel there periodically on business and know a dozen or so Germans. Germany in many areas is remarkably like the US. Much of it was completely rebuilt after WWII and the Germans love cars every bit as much as people in the US. They have made better choices in mass transit in many of their cities.
Yeah, like that disaster of a railway station in Stuttgart? NFN, my grandfather was a general in the German army in WW1, I tend to think I'm familiar with Germany considering half my family is there.....

BTW, where did you come up with those numbers for Capital bike share?

I was just on their site, watched their video and didn't see a thing about it.....

LMAO, what a rip-off, after the first 90 minutes it's $6.00 per half hour?

Old 03-30-2013, 02:32 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
I think that alternative will make ganins as they make snese to use more fisa cally and then get more private investment. No tax is need to pick winners as we all lose from that method;IMO.

Old 03-30-2013, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I think that alternative will make ganins as they make snese to use more fisa cally and then get more private investment. No tax is need to pick winners as we all lose from that method;IMO.
Too bad progressive liberal elitists don't see it that way.....

Old 03-30-2013, 07:01 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,783,616 times
A gas tax would do more good for the current enviornment than all renewable energy investments so far

The price of anything transported by car or truck would go up.

Are you ready to tell poor families what they must give up, to keep buying food, clothes, heating oil, etc.?

And, how do you know they aren't already on the thinnest of shoestrings, unable to cut ANYTHING further?

Did you ask them about this, before you decided to make them pay more for food, etc.?

Old 03-30-2013, 08:46 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,952,353 times
Quote:
The Europeans have used tax to shape fuel consumption for many years. It's effective. Republicans don't like taxes.
The Europeans do not use tax to shape fuel consumption. They never have. First, having a high fuel tax to shape fuel consumption makes no sense when most of their long distance roads have speed limits far in excess of those speeds at which engines run most economical. The speeds for most of their long distance roads make it virtually impossible to use engines that run purely on electric yet a high tax on fuels would seem to invite the use of such cars.

The Europeans put high taxes on fuel because it generates revenue, not change the way people use fuel.

The average drive in Europe uses far more fuel per distance traveled by car than drivers in the USA. A car running at average speeds in Europe is burning far more fuel than a similar car running at the average speeds in the USA.

The Europeans use the high taxes on fuel to fund their many social benefit programs including public transportation systems.

Saying Republicans don't like taxes is like saying the Democrats do. The fact is no person with any significant level of understanding likes taxes. When taxes are necessary, have and use them. When they are not, simply having high taxes does nothing except infringes on the equal protection provisions inherent in our Constitution and other founding principals because taxes are never applied equally, they are always applied disproportional to one's income or in a manner that can be proved to be arbitrary.

Old 03-31-2013, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
The Europeans do not use tax to shape fuel consumption. They never have. First, having a high fuel tax to shape fuel consumption makes no sense when most of their long distance roads have speed limits far in excess of those speeds at which engines run most economical. The speeds for most of their long distance roads make it virtually impossible to use engines that run purely on electric yet a high tax on fuels would seem to invite the use of such cars.
Never mind the data

Consumption bbl oil/yr per capita
USA 21.8
Germany 10.7
France 10.5
UK 9.5
Italy 8.9
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living