Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 02:26 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,427,301 times

Advertisements

Sorry, by yard, I meant lawn.

There are better uses for your land than growing useless grass that requires maintenance like mowing/trimming, water, chemicals when it does nothing for you except give your house that neat "just got a haircut" look. I'll never live in a suburb or subdivision for the reasons that they are way to strict on this kinda cr*p.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 02:45 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,362,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
Sorry, by yard, I meant lawn.

There are better uses for your land than growing useless grass that requires maintenance like mowing/trimming, water, chemicals when it does nothing for you except give your house that neat "just got a haircut" look. I'll never live in a suburb or subdivision for the reasons that they are way to strict on this kinda cr*p.
I know we keep drifting away from the cool topic of what to do with dog poop. Still, I love living in a place with yards or lawns. I don't live in a place with an HOA so we could put what ever we want to in our yard area. Some have placed rocks in their front yard. My parents have crushed rock in the back yard of their home.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:08 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,633,506 times
I know what common courtesy says. It says PICK UP AFTER YOUR PET!! I get so tired dodging dog nuggets in the road, when I walk, by people who are so inconsiderate that they let their dogs s*** anywhere they please. That goes for other people's lawns/driveways too. It's like leaving your cigarette butts all over. How would you like it if I came over to your house, dropped my drawers and defecated on your front lawn? As far as it being green, hell, then purchase and use some paper sacks to pick it up in then!!!

Old 08-29-2013, 11:56 AM

2,754 posts, read 7,427,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
How would you like it if I came over to your house, dropped my drawers and defecated on your front lawn?
LOL!
Actually I'd love that. I could videotape it and post on youtube. One million views, here I come! $$Cha-ching$$!

Old 09-04-2013, 09:24 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,958,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
How would you like it if I came over to your house, dropped my drawers and defecated on your front lawn?

"LOL!
Actually I'd love that. I could videotape it and post on youtube. One million views, here I come! $$Cha-ching$$!"

Just post the location, no doubt all your neighbors and maybe a thousand other people would gladly come over to "drop" by and help your filming activities.

Old 09-15-2013, 09:11 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,981,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I know we keep drifting away from the cool topic of what to do with dog poop. Still, I love living in a place with yards or lawns. I don't live in a place with an HOA so we could put what ever we want to in our yard area. Some have placed rocks in their front yard. My parents have crushed rock in the back yard of their home.
It's been my experience that even when you put plastic sheeting (ugh) under the crushed rocks, silt gets blown in and you will have weeds. I have never seen people hand pick all those weeds. Most use chemical weed killers.

Old 09-15-2013, 12:21 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,779,381 times
If you live in a high density, high pavement area, scoop it up!

Even though wild animals poop, there's a lot more dogs in a city than wild animals in the same area out in the sticks. Dog poop on a sidewalk or even a yard is more likely to wash right into the storm drains (and into your local stream, lake, bay, sound or ocean) than moose poop on a forest floor in Alaska.

If everyone in my city (Seattle) let their dog poop on their lawn, that'd be 25 TONS of dog poop washing into our local waterway each DAY.

If you live on 10 acres in North Dakota, yeah, sure, leave the poop there.

Old 10-03-2013, 11:25 AM

259 posts, read 670,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
What do you do about all those birds?

You mean the ones that fly over the municipal reservoir and 'relieve themselves' after ingesting lawn chemicals and other contaminates?

I use an R/O filter for my drinking water, of course.

Old 10-03-2013, 12:08 PM

259 posts, read 670,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post

If everyone in my city (Seattle) let their dog poop on their lawn, that'd be 25 TONS of dog poop washing into our local waterway each DAY.
I'd like to see your source for your data.

Kinda funny how 'environmentalists' think they must 'rush in' and 'save nature'. 20 billion years plus of evolution to turn a barren rock in space into a thriving, balanced ecosystem. Balacned for so long it has achived the ultimate creature with reason and intelligence, and then that same creature determines it to be so flawed that it must be rescued from itself.

Now THAT is truly miraculous.

Old 10-03-2013, 12:51 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,827,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Help Desk View Post
I'd like to see your source for your data.

Kinda funny how 'environmentalists' think they must 'rush in' and 'save nature'. 20 billion years plus of evolution to turn a barren rock in space into a thriving, balanced ecosystem. Balacned for so long it has achived the ultimate creature with reason and intelligence, and then that same creature determines it to be so flawed that it must be rescued from itself.

Now THAT is truly miraculous.
20 billion? And a "plus" even. C'mon, let's not exaggerate too much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living