Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 09:54 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,355,364 times

Advertisements

i know we're supposed to pick up after our dog poops to keep our waters from being contaminated by such waste. however, which is more green--picking up the poop in plastic bags (that tend not to be biodegradable) or leaving the poop alone to run into our waters?

any green advice for this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2013, 10:05 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,731,042 times
It's not "green" to leave poop anywhere. It is poisonous and not OK to allow it to run into our waters or anywhere else.

If you don't like plastic bags to put it in, then put it in a paper bag and dispose of it properly.

Please don't get me started on the slobs who think it's fine to leave piles of their dog's crap everywhere. Disgusting.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:44 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,292,919 times
Poop in places where people might step in it or young children get into it needs to be removed. That means streets, parks, and yards.

Poop in other areas can be allowed to decompose naturally.

Dog poop is a nuisance, but it's not poisonous. It's not going to "contaminate our waters."

Do you see anyone chasing coyotes with a pooper scooper? Or the proverbial bear in the woods? What do you do about all those birds?

Old 04-01-2013, 10:57 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,583,826 times
I use biodegradable poop bags when I walk my dogs and I pick up all the dog poop I come across.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:13 AM

1,449 posts, read 2,355,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Poop in places where people might step in it or young children get into it needs to be removed. That means streets, parks, and yards.

Dog poop is a nuisance, but it's not poisonous. It's not going to "contaminate our waters."

Do you see anyone chasing coyotes with a pooper scooper? Or the proverbial bear in the woods? What do you do about all those birds?
thats exactly what i thought. what about all the wildlife poop? is it different for housedogs just coz they eat manufactured food?

Old 04-02-2013, 08:56 AM

4,829 posts, read 8,731,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post

So I guess it would be OK for humans to just squat and poop and leave it there?? Poop is full of bacteria and other contaminants that don't belong in the body. In addition, dog poop can contain roundworm, heartworm and other parasites that can be dangerous.

Dog poop is more than a "nuisance". It's disgusting, dirty, and no one wants to see or smell it.

As for the wild animals?? You really can't do anything about that. You CAN, however, do something about your own animal and clean up after it rather than let your animal's mess just stay there and rot into the ground or into the water supply.

Old 04-02-2013, 09:04 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,174,659 times
To dispose of it in a politically correct method would to scoop it up with a releasable instrument like a scoop or shovel.

Place it in your toilet or you dig a 3-4foot deep hole in your yard and dispose of it there.
These small, in-ground systems work the same way septic systems do: They liquefy any dog poop deposited there and drain the liquid into the surrounding soil. The digester system has two parts: the digester unit itself (including the lid), and the digester mix. Here's how to use them:
1. Find a convenient but out-of-the-way spot in your yard to install the digester.
2. Dig a hole that's about 48 inches deep.
3. Install the digester and lid in the hole. The lid should be just a little bit above the ground.
4. When your dog poops, bring the poop to the digester, remove the lid, and place the poop inside.

What to Do with Doggy Doo - For Dummies

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilam98 View Post
i know we're supposed to pick up after our dog poops to keep our waters from being contaminated by such waste. however, which is more green--picking up the poop in plastic bags (that tend not to be biodegradable) or leaving the poop alone to run into our waters?

any green advice for this?

Old 04-02-2013, 09:13 AM

23,602 posts, read 70,446,439 times
This thread is a great example of why kids would do well to spend a summer on a working farm. Stepping in a pasture patty is an event to be relished.

Prior to about 1920, everyone in America got to live with horse poo on the streets. Why do you think there were street sweepers? The odor and the flies were a problem. Dog poo falls into a similar category - noxious and offensive, but not a major health threat. Human poo only becomes an issue in areas where there is the possibility of contamination of the water supply and/or typhoid or similar diseases.

The "green" thing to do in the country is usually to leave it lie. Horseflies are now eliminated through a supplement to the feed that kills the larvae. Even human poo is not poisonous, just smelly and generally offensive.

In answer to the original question - recycle shopping bags for the task in the more developed areas, just to be nice.

Old 04-02-2013, 09:22 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,551,576 times
I figured if my dog isn't going to clean up her poop in our yard, then I'm not going to either. I have to clean it up in the house if she doesn't let us know she needs to go out. Thank goodness for the puppy pads!

Old 04-02-2013, 09:34 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,174,659 times
One more slap for this horse.

" Poop is full of bacteria and other contaminants that don't belong in the body. In addition, dog poop can contain roundworm, heartworm and other parasites that can be dangerous"

To the above any wild animal can and do have these parasites and more and or diseases and their poop ends in the water too
Bacteria is not necessarily bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living