Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2013, 05:49 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,134,327 times

Advertisements

Anyone use them?

I'm considering them for my offgrid structure, and I'd like to speak to someone who actually uses them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 07:39 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,963,612 times
They seem to be so much more expensive than conventional or even AGMs that I wonder what the true benefit is. Maybe they are having a sale or distributors are selling them for less that list?

$9000 for 1000 amp hours of capacity doesn't seem very efficient in terms of investment/benefit. Edison advertises longer life but for the same cost you can use AGMs and get about the same longevity, plus with each replacement set you'd be brand new instead of a continuing downward slope on reliability or capacity.

I see their claims about using smaller capacity battery banks because they can discharge 100% but when designing the system, if you use their claims as a basis, you have nothing left. If you go with a 60% DOD for say AGMs they tend to last a long time and should you not have a good harvest for a short period of time, you have reserve capacity designed in. With the Edison battery, to get the benefit of the technology, you size the bank down but what about days with little or no harvest? You're stuck.

A lot of their claims are compared to flooded lead/acid and not AGMs. Lots of claims without much real hard data.

Any particular reason for using them vs good AGMs or something else?

Old 04-16-2013, 11:00 PM

First of all AGM batteries are not NEARLY as long lasting. Their lifespan is restricted by the way they are used.

And that is why I'm interested. It is for an offgrid property I plan on using for a few months in the spring, and a few months in the fall.

It will sit unused all winter. If I go with typical lead acid (AGM or not, all AGM does is allow for rougher handling, it is foolish to pay this premium when they will not be moved) I will more than likely be buying new batteries every year.

With the Nickle Alkali batteries I will merely hook them up to the Generator, and have some things like distilled water... and they are fine so long as they have 3% of their life left. (I don't see how the solar panels will not be able to keep THAT up) vs the (In best case) lead acid batteries which will have a shorter lifespan every time.

Old 04-17-2013, 10:07 AM

Actually, AGM batteries have very little internal resistance compared to other battery chemistry so their benefits go far beyond handling. AGm can discharge at higher rates and take charge rates that make using them much more efficient than flooded. The prices of AGMs has come way down and from what Edison is charging for their batteries, it wouldn't see like cost was that important.

If your batteries will be sitting unused for long periods of time, you might want to know that AGMs have a very low self discharge rate, especially compared to other battery types. They are also barely affected by freezing temperatures and some brands have never experienced a thermal overload condition.

It really comes down to how much power you need and when you need it. The Edison batteries seem like a very expensive proposition if they sit for long periods of time without use. With good brand AGMs, they can last as long as 15 years, probably ideal for your stated use.

If you are using a generator, you can use AGMs in the same way as the Edison batteries and the AGMs can probably accept a charge rate faster than your generator can produce or at least as fast as you'll ever need.

The Edison batteries will need maintenance, the AGMS not so.

It might seem like a simple thing to maintain batteries with fluid but what if one of them needs some and you're not there? You can hook up an auto watering system but that is more expense, they aren't cheap.

Just some things to consider. For the times you state power will be needed, virtually none of the claims Edison makes, make any difference in your situation. You can easily discharge the AGM to 30% for the times you need them and still have relatively good longevity and considering the much lower costs, replace them as needed and still come out ahead.

If you do buy the Edisons, how about reporting back occasionally on their actual performance, it would be very interesting.

Old 04-19-2013, 08:46 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,831,688 times
I have heard of most batteries but what are AGM's? Are they a variant on lead acid, Ni-metal hydride or Ni-cad?

Old 04-19-2013, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I have heard of most batteries but what are AGM's? Are they a variant on lead acid, Ni-metal hydride or Ni-cad?

Correct.
Absorbent Glass Mat (AGM) Battery Information - Battery University

Despite his incorrect claims, they do not last (Much, compared to added cost) longer than a similar price/quality regular lead/acid battery, they just make it easier to maintain/make it less necessary (Which DO make them last longer) but if your not going to be moving them, it's not worth the added cost. (I did a fair amount of research some time ago. I'm sure you can find some of the studies if you search)

Old 04-22-2013, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Correct.
Absorbent Glass Mat (AGM) Battery Information - Battery University

Despite his incorrect claims, they do not last (Much, compared to added cost) longer than a similar price/quality regular lead/acid battery, they just make it easier to maintain/make it less necessary (Which DO make them last longer) but if your not going to be moving them, it's not worth the added cost. (I did a fair amount of research some time ago. I'm sure you can find some of the studies if you search)
Which claims (plural as you cited) are incorrect? You know that if you choose only one source of information that there are easily found studies to refute that source. Also, you are not alone in having conducted research but if your research (conducted by you) is published, by all means, link to it and we can discuss it.

It is very easy to simply say something is incorrect and then link to one source to support your perspective.

There are many benefits when using AGM batteries vs flooded and those benefits have been proved as fact.

When comparing costs for example, flooded batteries often cost the same as AGM batteries. If you are buying single item or less than 10 batteries, the cost difference favors the flooded type but past that, the difference is virtually nil.

When it comes to durability and reliability, how a battery performs must take into account the effort and costs to maintain them and when those factors are considered, AGM batteries can be more cost effective than flooded batteries.

Old 04-25-2013, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Which claims (plural as you cited) are incorrect? You know that if you choose only one source of information that there are easily found studies to refute that source. Also, you are not alone in having conducted research but if your research (conducted by you) is published, by all means, link to it and we can discuss it.

It is very easy to simply say something is incorrect and then link to one source to support your perspective.

There are many benefits when using AGM batteries vs flooded and those benefits have been proved as fact.

When comparing costs for example, flooded batteries often cost the same as AGM batteries. If you are buying single item or less than 10 batteries, the cost difference favors the flooded type but past that, the difference is virtually nil.

When it comes to durability and reliability, how a battery performs must take into account the effort and costs to maintain them and when those factors are considered, AGM batteries can be more cost effective than flooded batteries.
The lifespan and durability. And I have no interest in going back and looking, and then having an internet debate. This thread is not to convince anyone else, but for my edification. There are DEFINITELY advantages to AGM batteries, but not for batteries which are never going to be moved. (As mine are). And sorry, simple Math doesn't work that at 10 units one item is a better buy, but at the same price 11 is not. It goes the OTHER WAY... (more units, better advantage.)

Old 04-26-2013, 12:07 PM

Well then, let us know how those Edison batteries work out. Who knows, they could be worth it and the information would we interesting.

Just saying that so far, there is a lot of marketing material and waiting 20-35 years to determine if something is more cost effective than something else is a long time.

Good luck. Peace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living