Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 10:04 AM

27,306 posts, read 16,287,901 times

Advertisements

I never thought I would buy a Volt. I did on Monday. I didn't do it to save the earth, or to combat global warming which I consider bunk. I did it as a means to an end.

Specifically, I had negative equity in the car I was trading that had huge payments. So the only car that had any kind of incentives to reduce the negative equity was the Volt. It is heavily incentivized, 0 percent interest on the loan so in less than 2 years the negative equity is gone so trust me the car will be gone as well. That and I get $7500 back on next year taxes on top of my normal refund.

The other pro while in engine mode it sips gas and in Canada that is huge. I will go over 400 miles on 9 gallons after the battery is used up.

It is highly computerized but with 3 years free Onstar with car diagnostics being monitored if any issue comes up, the dealer is notified.

Battery warrantied 8 years 100000 miles.

So there it is. A person who pooh poohed hybrids and such bought one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2013, 10:26 AM

7,279 posts, read 10,998,035 times
Volt goes about 35 miles on battery right? Maybe 50? Small part of the 400 mile range you are talking about.

That fuel economy is available in other cars. As for negative equity, a minor issue when buying a new car, the numbers can be made to work.

The tax incentive? Hardly worth the price of entry.

An entire new generation of electric cars is hitting the market end of this year and next, about the time you start considering selling the Volt. That is a lot of money to gamble on for a resale value that isn't guaranteed. If the new brands and models coming to market are a hit, you'll see the resale value of the Volt make your negative equity concern seem like pennies.

The Volt is a nice car though and has a lot of spunk to it. It doesn't look like other cars and the quality is high. Overall a very nice ride.

Buying a car with the intention of selling it in two years is a sure way to another negative equity position though. Cars aren't investment, just cash drains.

Old 04-24-2013, 12:38 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,089,533 times
Mack's right. With the Spark projected to double the Volt's battery-only range, I don't see anyone wanting to buy a used Volt in two years.

I don't really understand what you did. You owed more on your current car than it was worth, so you traded it in for a Volt? Isn't that like transfering a credit card balance onto a new card? So you now owe more on the Volt than it was worth new sitting on the lot (Volt price + your balance of negative equity on the old car)?

Now you plan to make big payments over the next 2 years to get out from under the old car debt and--at the same time--pay off the same amount of money as depreciates from the Volt's value?

Then, in 2 years, you'll sell the Volt at blue book and have no balance but also no car. (Presumably you'll buy another car at this point).

How is this going to be a better deal than just paying off the old car? Was the interest really that high on the loan?

Old 04-24-2013, 12:57 PM

15 posts, read 16,406 times
Volt 41k and Prius 19 for the V. And people wonder why GM is going to go bankrupt again.

Old 04-28-2013, 04:54 PM

Spark too small. I have issues putting my 4 year old in the back seat which is essentially the bumper. Like the Smart Car, it looks like you can crush it like a beer can.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:45 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,089,533 times
It's also 1st generation of some new battery. Possibly a firey beer can. Enjoy your new car!

Old 05-01-2013, 07:37 PM

65 mpg gas use 90 MPGe

Old 10-14-2013, 12:44 PM

892 posts, read 1,508,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
That fuel economy is available in other cars. As for negative equity, a minor issue when buying a new car, the numbers can be made to work.

The tax incentive? Hardly worth the price of entry.

An entire new generation of electric cars is hitting the market end of this year and next, about the time you start considering selling the Volt. That is a lot of money to gamble on for a resale value that isn't guaranteed. If the new brands and models coming to market are a hit, you'll see the resale value of the Volt make your negative equity concern seem like pennies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
Mack's right. With the Spark projected to double the Volt's battery-only range, I don't see anyone wanting to buy a used Volt in two years.

I'm actually looking forward to that....hoping the resale tanks on these things, so I can snatch one up cheap I have a short enough commute that the 30-40 mile range is plenty for me, even taking into account some reduced range when the batteries start aging. Of course, it will partially dependent on how well the battery ages in the things - might very well end up being a losing proposition anyways when you factor in battery replacement cost.

Always makes me giggle just a bit when I see people getting excited over the 0% APR loans, thinking they got an awesome deal or "it's like free money!". I've yet to see any 0% APR loan that makes sense at the end compared to a low interest loan from a bank, and taking the incentives on the car that paying cash gets you. More often than not, these people end up spending significantly more with the "free money" 0% loan than had they taken a loan from an external source.

Old 10-14-2013, 08:05 PM

2,491 posts, read 2,691,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbex View Post
Always makes me giggle just a bit when I see people getting excited over the 0% APR loans, thinking they got an awesome deal or "it's like free money!". I've yet to see any 0% APR loan that makes sense at the end compared to a low interest loan from a bank, and taking the incentives on the car that paying cash gets you. More often than not, these people end up spending significantly more with the "free money" 0% loan than had they taken a loan from an external source.
I really would not expect someone with negative equity in a car to understand your logic.

Old 10-16-2013, 02:41 PM

Quote:
So the payment that goes strictly towards the principle is stupid???

I don't get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living