Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 11:06 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,520,317 times

Advertisements

One reason is when you no longer are physically able to drive yourself. Then it is safer to opt out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 06:16 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,133,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
One reason is when you no longer are physically able to drive yourself. Then it is safer to opt out.
Well, apart from people like me wanting to be uber-cheap, being infirm in any particular way would be another good reason.

Old 08-03-2013, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
Well, apart from people like me wanting to be uber-cheap, being infirm in any particular way would be another good reason.
I agree. One my thoughts is that really fat people are driving impaired. Obesity and narcolepsy can go together. So doctors should really be asking searching question about driving experiences by seriously obese people. It is not bias, it is science.

Old 08-04-2013, 12:12 AM

Quote:
I agree. One my thoughts is that really fat people are driving impaired. Obesity and narcolepsy can go together. So doctors should really be asking searching question about driving experiences by seriously obese people. It is not bias, it is science.
Believe me. After seeing the amount of morbidly obese drivers getting out of some of the trucks over here, it makes me wonder how any of them are getting away with passing the blood-pressure checks during the DOT physicals.
But getting back to the whole issue of owning a car, I'd still say own something you're able to fix yourself and won't cost you a lot of money and rent something nice when needed.

As for dealing with these pesky Alpha meatheads at my work, I either ride to the terminal closer to my place and start the day over there.
Or, leave early and ride down an alternate route.

If they see me at work, but never saw me roll in, the less I'm harassed about the lack of a "bro-mobile".

Old 08-04-2013, 02:53 PM

Is there anything to the idea that the bigger the truck the smaller the "equipment" (or as Tony Weiner calls it, "the package")?

Old 08-06-2013, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Is there anything to the idea that the bigger the truck the smaller the "equipment" (or as Tony Weiner calls it, "the package")?
I would say that would depend on how many times the truck has been modified since it was first purchased.
A plain, F-250 with a Powerstroke and factory specs on everything else is just fine.

These meat-heads that utilize as many different aftermarket accessories on their trucks as they do supplements on their body are over-compensating for a lot of things.

Usually for the appeal of the opposite sex a good percentage of the time.

Old 08-06-2013, 02:45 PM

"Powerstroke"?
Can't help smiling about the word choice. It reminds me of a gesture my brothers used to do in this connection. I can only describe as cupped hands separated about garbage can width, with the arms pistoning. Get the suggestion?

Old 08-06-2013, 04:21 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,454,081 times
I never understood these B.S. claims about more mods = more compensation? I don't drive a monster truck, but I do have a pickup, and have modified my share of cars. I don't see why people who have heavily modified vehicles, no matter how non-tasteful, are criticized as compensating. There are several other hobbies or tendencies I could point out that usually take more effort or more $$ than modifying cars, and are just as unnecessary or over-the-top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post

If they see me at work, but never saw me roll in, the less I'm harassed about the lack of a "bro-mobile".
You make it a point to avoid people because of your mode of transport?

Old 08-06-2013, 05:09 PM

18,339 posts, read 26,614,308 times
The modifications on my jeep aren't compensating for anything except the poor decisions of the engineers who designed it inadequately for its intended uses (i.e., weak frame where steering box is mounted, electronically controlled carburetor that didn't work, etc.).

Old 08-08-2013, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
I never understood these B.S. claims about more mods = more compensation? I don't drive a monster truck, but I do have a pickup, and have modified my share of cars. I don't see why people who have heavily modified vehicles, no matter how non-tasteful, are criticized as compensating. There are several other hobbies or tendencies I could point out that usually take more effort or more $$ than modifying cars, and are just as unnecessary or over-the-top.

You make it a point to avoid people because of your mode of transport?
If they're going to go to great lengths to push the issue, then why should I even attempt to be near them?
If it's just going to lead to possible fights in the future, then I'm doing everyone a favor by simply backing off.
Not to mention "redneck" types tend to get old and boring really quick when you've been around them an entire 12 hr shift.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living