Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 03:41 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,966,786 times

Advertisements

Toothpaste Can Replace Bathroom Cleaner, Jewelry Polish, Spackle And More

Please check out at the bottom of this article. There is a slide show on '5 new uses for everything'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 08:42 PM

11,085 posts, read 17,532,479 times
Just saw a post from Mother Earth News on facebook about making pillows out of old t shirts. Tuck the sleeves and neck inside before sewing up, then stuff through the bottom.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/diy/u...#axzz2dK2kHiOA

Last edited by kygman; 08-28-2013 at 08:47 PM.. Reason: Found web site

Old 08-28-2013, 10:48 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,032,070 times
Regular plain toothpaste is basically a polishing compound, you can use it polish anything really like a CD with scratch in it. Another use for it that is going to give you mixed results is polishing the headlight covers on your car if they have oxidized.

Old 08-28-2013, 10:49 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,144,036 times
I save glass jars for food storage. I even store other things, like buttons, in glass peanut butter jars. I have vintage canning jars that I use for storing dried beans and sugar.

Old tees, especially white ones, make good rags. I even use the sleeves, torn off the shirt and flattened, to cut small eyeglass wiper rags.

Old vases or cream pitchers make good holders for pens and pencils.

Old saucers make good soap dishes, holders for rings, or a place to put a scouring pad. I use an old saucer by my bed as a coaster for my water glass.

I use an old china cabinet to display family photos.

I put paper clips in an old ashtray on my desk.

Old stemmed "schooners" can hold glass marbles, and mascara, tweezers, eyebrow pencil,etc. Just stand them in the marbles.

Vintage milk bottles make great vases.

Old 09-06-2013, 09:37 AM

I have only one of those glass coaster looking gadgets that you place under the legs of sofas so they don't mark the rug - I use it to put straight pins in, next to my sewing machine, removed while I am sewing.

Using car wax on bathroom tiles (I have not tried this on the sides of my tub) protects grout and tiles from splashes. I would not use this on the bottom of the tub, 'cause you'll slip all over, maybe kill yourself, but I'll bet on the sides it would really help remove a ring.

Old 09-06-2013, 11:34 AM

5,147 posts, read 7,475,198 times
I accumulate way too many old t-shirts for the rag adaptation. But I imagine a more creative type would find all sorts of uses of the cloth if reduced to smaller sizes.

Old 09-06-2013, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
I accumulate way too many old t-shirts for the rag adaptation. But I imagine a more creative type would find all sorts of uses of the cloth if reduced to smaller sizes.
Sure, but I'll bet the 100% cotton shirts are by far the best and they don't wear as well as the half poly.

Old 09-06-2013, 01:16 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,545,596 times
I think tooth paste is way to expensive to use as a cleaner. Worn out cotton T shirts make the best cleaning and dusting rags.

Old 09-06-2013, 01:36 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,475,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
I think tooth paste is way to expensive to use as a cleaner. Worn out cotton T shirts make the best cleaning and dusting rags.
That assumes one cleans and dusts. Maybe they should be put somewhere for the cleaners and dusters of society to pick them up. Seems odd that cotton t-shirts can't be bleached and put in the mix for paper.

Old 09-06-2013, 02:27 PM

2,259 posts, read 4,751,066 times
Sounds like a lot of things that Grand Pa and Grand Ma did back in the day to reuse things are coming back in to vogue. Some of my favorites are the "Dutch Tupperware" basically old plastic butter, and cool whip containers used for food storage, my dad had a bunch of old Coleman lantern gas cans that he cut the top off of and use for storing nuts and bolts...coffee cans too. When we out grew, or some how destroyed our whitey tighities they would be recommissioned as cleaning rags. My grand ma makes rugs on her loom with old jeans that she cuts up into strips.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living