Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 07:59 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,708,765 times

Advertisements

We have become a very superstitious society. I think it's a combination of an increasingly complex world and a deterioration in the quality of education. The result is large numbers of people who do not have a basic understanding of science or logic, which leaves them powerless when they try to understand topics like vaccinations, genetically modified foods, fluoridation, nuclear power, global politics, and so much more. So they turn to modern day witch doctors and celebrity "experts" for help in understanding what's happening. It's not just sad but, to the extent that these people can influence public policy, it can be downright dangerous. There is no point in arguing with these people, because it's all superstition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 12:26 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,430,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Only lives are at stake..... Id like medicine to embrace alternative medicine more.. some doctors are changing , we have so much to learn..
This is very old news. I had prescriptions from my MD for acupuncture and chiropractic adjustment more than 25 years ago.

But if an alternative medicine is valid, it can be scientifically validated. As Dr. Offit says in the book I recommended earlier, "Do You Believe In Magic?"...
“There’s no such thing as alternative medicine. There’s only medicine that works and medicine that doesn’t.”

Old 11-06-2013, 12:26 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,834,641 times
We have to be today!!!!!!!!!!! (So much garbage in food THATS MEANT TO HURT PEOPLE SO BIG PHARMA GETS $$$$$$$$$$ TO HELP THEM "GET BETTER")

Old 11-06-2013, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
We have to be today!!!!!!!!!!! (So much garbage in food THATS MEANT TO HURT PEOPLE SO BIG PHARMA GETS $$$$$$$$$$ TO HELP THEM "GET BETTER")
I find it so sad that there is so much paranoia today, and so much irrationality. Scaring people about their food without valid proof is a criminal act in my book.

You thing Big Herbal is any better than Big Pharma? I don't For one thing they are so loosely regulated they can do almost anything they want, including selling herbs that are not only devoid of active ingredients, but laced with toxic metals.

Stick to organics if you are concerned, but drop the Chicken Little routine. It helps nothing.

Old 11-07-2013, 02:37 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,689,172 times
The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services now reveals there is too much fluoride in the water resulting in damaged teeth and now have other concerns about more dangerous side effects from fluorides.

US says too much fluoride causing splotchy teeth

Old 11-07-2013, 03:14 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,989,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services now reveals there is too much fluoride in the water resulting in damaged teeth and now have other concerns about more dangerous side effects from fluorides.

The article totally refutes your assertions.

"Like anything else, you can have too much of a good thing," said Dr. Howard Pollick, a professor at the University of California, San Francisco's dental school and spokesman for the American Dental Association.

Read more at: US says too much fluoride causing splotchy teeth

Old 11-07-2013, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post

Do you even read the stuff you post? Or do you just not understand what you read? This doesn't mean what you tried to make it mean. For example, there's this...

Quote:
One reason behind the change: About 2 out of 5 adolescents have tooth streaking or spottiness because of too much fluoride, a government study found recently. In extreme cases, teeth can be pitted by the mineral - though many cases are so mild only dentists notice it. The problem is generally considered cosmetic and not a reason for serious concern.

Old 11-09-2013, 01:58 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,741,834 times
Fluoride goes to everyone regardless of Age, Health or Vulnerability. According to Dr. Arvid Carlsson, the 2000 Nobel Laureate in Medicine and Physiology and one of the scientists who helped keep fluoridation out of Sweden: and hes not alone on this....

Old 11-09-2013, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Fluoride goes to everyone regardless of Age, Health or Vulnerability. According to Dr. Arvid Carlsson, the 2000 Nobel Laureate in Medicine and Physiology and one of the scientists who helped keep fluoridation out of Sweden: and hes not alone on this....
Sorry, but this is another logical fallacy known as Appeal to Authority, and it is another mainstay of alternative health misinformation and medical quackery.

As you yourself said in another post " even the smartest person cant always be right abut everything."

You can find individuals in every field who believe something different than the consensus. Remember, consensus is rarely unanimous, but is always based on a preponderance of the evidence. Even the most important court decisions involving global issues often hinge on a simple majority vote.

But scientific and medical consensus is more rigorous than that, requiring multiple studies and confirmations and retests and publication and the test of time... so the "vote" of any single person, no matter how learned or celebrated they might be, simply doesn't outweigh the mass of a scientific consensus.

And there have been notable cases of even great geniuses being proven wrong, even condemned by the scientific community at large.

William Shockley, 1956 Nobel Prize co-winner for invention of the transistor, had shockingly racist views, and believed strongly in the principles of eugenics, or the "culling" of people he considered genetically inferior.

Or how about Linus Pauling, 1954 Nobel Prize winner in Chemistry, and 1962 winner of the Nobel Peace Prize... a brilliant, brilliant man who proposed radical theories about the healing properties of megavitamins and especially Vitamin C... nearly all of which have been disproven over time. As Dr. Paul Offit puts it, Pauling "was arguably the world's greatest quack" for his assertions about dietary supplements." And in that view, Dr. Offit was expressing not just a personal opinion, but the consensus view of an entire profession.

One can always find someone in authority to agree with any view, no matter how far out that view may be. The sane and wise thing to do, however, is to consider ALL the evidence, and ALL the views, and look for the most credible, even if it confronts one's own beliefs!

My personal standard for determining the truth is to look for the preponderance of evidence, and the majority of informed opinion, and weigh those against the "some guy" who says the opposite. There's always at least one. And he's almost always mistaken. But I assume nothing, and I do my best to hear him out. That's what being open-minded is all about.

It is the knee-jerk rejection of all mainstream scientific consensus that I find to be closed-minded and irrational, and that's what I push back against in debates like this.

Old 11-13-2013, 06:49 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,099,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Yes, exactly.

There is a wave of ignorant anti-science activism currently that is attacking mainstream science the way the Luddites once attacked the looms. People who don't understand science, or who fear it, are easy prey to hucksters selling their tales of denial... vaccines are bad, fluoridation is bad, climate change isn't happening, they're spying on you with those smart meters, the doctors don't want you to get well, etc... and oddly enough, people choose to believe those emotional appeals based on little to no credible evidence over the rationality of large scale well structured research.

The only cure for this epidemic of anti-science, I'm afraid, is better education.
While I agree with the bulk of your post, I believe you have it backwards where climate change is concerned.

Without even getting into the East Anglia CRU data scandal or the flawed "hockey stick" graph that started this foolishness, I would like one proponent of this silly theory to explain why the Earth's climate was warm enough during the Medieval Warming period to allow the Vikings to farm sheep and grow barley in Greenland 1000 years before the worldwide burning of hydrocarbons.

When you can explain that, I may start seeing global warming/climate change theory as a possible "mainstream science" and not lies, propaganda and fear mongering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living