Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 07:44 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,376,835 times

Advertisements

We've been discussing this in the Lubbock forum.

It seems that my Texas South Plains farm is in the footprint of that "world’s largest community-sponsored wind farm." Time will tell if it is a blessing or a curse for my family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2013, 08:57 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,464,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
I'll ask you again, what are the limitations?
Huh? I wasn't the one who raised the question of limitations.

Quote:
I hate to pop your bubble but Hayes and Floyd counties are within the Texas grid...

Texas County Map
It isn't popping any bubble of mine. I've got no dog in this hunt at all. I just find it to be interesting.

And I thought I was quite clear that I'm quite unclear about the geography involved. It just seemed at a glance like Lubbock might be in that chunk of the panhandle that belongs to the Eastern grid.

Oh, but then I went back and read the article I mentioned, and it actually addresses the question...

Quote:
When completed, it will add about 500 MW to the Electric Reliability Council of Texas, which serves the majority of Texas,
AND

Quote:
600 MW to the Southwest Power Pool Electric Energy Network, which serves states all the way to the East Coast, said Curtis King, senior vice president of investor relations for Tri Global Energy.

Old 11-10-2013, 08:58 PM

18,136 posts, read 25,318,143 times
Funny that everybody is so concerned about "evil wind farms" in West Texas
but I never hear anybody being concerned about the radioactive waste sites in West Texas.

Texas Site Begins Taking Federal Nuclear Waste : NPR - Jun. 2013

Old 11-10-2013, 09:26 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,215,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Huh? I wasn't the one who raised the question of limitations.

It isn't popping any bubble of mine. I've got no dog in this hunt at all. I just find it to be interesting.

And I thought I was quite clear that I'm quite unclear about the geography involved. It just seemed at a glance like Lubbock might be in that chunk of the panhandle that belongs to the Eastern grid.

Oh, but then I went back and read the article I mentioned, and it actually addresses the question...

AND
My bad, am on new meds...

Old 11-11-2013, 05:59 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,942,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Pretty much. The amount of misinformation/outright lies that are regularly circulated and then repeated about wind power by individuals who purport to be concerned about the environment is simply amazing. I'm not sure what their motivation is except that they're modern day Luddites with a fundamental antipathy to technology.

Birds and bats would have to be pretty lame if they can't avoid moving turning wind turbine blades as they move fairly slowly. When the wind speed is too high, the turbines shut down.
About 600,000 bats killed by wind turbines in 2012, study shows - CBS News

Quote:
In the process of creating sustainable energy, wind turbines across the United States are also taking a toll on a species that is vital to our ecosystem: bats.

More than 600,000 bats fell victim to the turbines in 2012, according to a new study.
And that's a conservative number.

Also, bats don't die from running into or being hit by the blades. It's caused by barotrauma.

Bat deaths from wind turbines explained | News & Events | University of Calgary

Old 11-11-2013, 06:15 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,376,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Funny that everybody is so concerned about "evil wind farms" in West Texas
but I never hear anybody being concerned about the radioactive waste sites in West Texas.
I would be very concerned if the fence around the waste site enclosed my farm.

BTW, I believe New Mexico is taking some of their own low-level waste at the W.I.P.P. in the southeastern part of New Mexico.

Old 11-11-2013, 11:19 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,464,547 times
Yes, regrettably there are bat deaths at wind turbines in certain areas, at certain times of the year, primarily during migrations, and primarily affecting a few species. .

These accidental deaths are very unfortunated, and research is underway to try to find ways to prevent them. But it should not be inferred from the news stories that bat deaths happen all the time, or at all locations.

Also, for perspective, the number of reported deaths is a very small fraction of the total population.

Old 11-12-2013, 03:57 AM

544 posts, read 610,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Also, for perspective, the number of reported deaths is a very small fraction of the total population.
Hmm... I guess I won't say anything since this isn't the politics and controversies thread.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:10 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,738,077 times
The awarness of danger to Avian life has halted at least one wind project....
Developers ditch disputed Minn. wind farm project - Yahoo Finance

Old 11-12-2013, 08:30 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,936,645 times
If thats the case, then big buildings should be taken down too and cars and every other thing birds run into .how stupid.
I have a wind mill and it has never been hit by a bird .
Animals through out time have dared and competed with any thing bigger than it's self.
I have rabbits the race with me on the property when I drive in , its just their nature.
On the motorcycle I have had birds try to fly in between cars and my self deliberately it is nothing unusual.
I say the radioactive danger, is far greater, than that of billions of wind turbines.
Personally , I would rather that people take a personal interest in solar power, and take responsibility for producing their own power.
It would be best in every way. less abuse, and less waste. and more ownership of the responsibility.
You want to add a TV to the bed room ? do you have the energy to run it ?
invest in another solar panel.
To do so and you are not adding to the problem to the world .
I practice what I preach. and I'm not rich .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living