Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 08:28 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sithlord72 View Post
So my question is, what are the pros & cons of solar panels, or was i about to get scammed ??
It's the taxpayer and the ratepayer getting scammed. They take advantage of the tax credits which may lower the installation costs 50%. That power usually generates a gree credit that can be very valuable becsue it's sold to power distributors so they can meet green energy mandates. Not only are you paying higher taxes because of your neighbors solar panels you are also paying a higher electric bill.

As for whether it's legitimate the first questions I would be asking is who is responsible for solar panels and what the contract calls for. Do they say you have to buy all the power or is it set at X amount regardless of how much power is being generated?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2013, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
No, your understanding is incorrect. Most installations today have a payback period of 4-6 years, mostly depending on what tax breaks and incentives are available,
Correct which translated means the taxpayer and the ratepayer are the ones paying for it. This allows people with the capital for installation to pass their electric costs off and companies like this to profit. Ir's like a Ponzi scheme in reverse, those who don't take advantage are left holding the bag.

Old 12-02-2013, 10:50 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Correct which translated means the taxpayer and the ratepayer are the ones paying for it. This allows people with the capital for installation to pass their electric costs off and companies like this to profit. Ir's like a Ponzi scheme in reverse, those who don't take advantage are left holding the bag.
That's quite a biased interpretation.

A more neutral explanation is that incentives have been made available in order to kickstart the transition from using fossil fuels to using renewable energy. Those who are in a position to take advantage of the opportunity, and who believe in the technology, are doing so.

Those who don't believe in the "green technologies", or who aren't in a position to utilize the incentives are predominantly not doing so. Is that any surprise?

But in this transitional period, acceptance of residential solar installations has skyrocketed. Installations have been increasing by over 40% a year for each of the last several years. It has successfully been mainstreamed, after lingering on the fringes for decades. As a result of several factors, including skyrocketing demand, costs have dropped dramatically, over 80% in the last 5 years, even before incentives are calculated in.

Clearly the program is working.

Old 12-03-2013, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
That's quite a biased interpretation.
No it's just the facts and the sad part is low income people where a large part of their expenses are energy are the ones footing a very large portion of the bill.

Quote:
A more neutral explanation is that incentives have been made available in order to kickstart the transition
Since the 70's........ when is it this transition ends?

Quote:
Clearly the program is working.
Guess it's time to end it then.

Old 12-03-2013, 10:50 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,943,455 times
Make sure you have a real good roof, otherwise you'll end up taking them off when re-roof time comes along. That expense will be on you and it won't be cheap.

Have 10 years in on a 20 year roof? Better think about it all real good. If you re-roof in 10 years, chances are you would be better off getting new panels because by then some advancements will make them far more efficient. Putting panels on anything but a newer roof is just adding lots of money to the roof maintenance when it comes due.

Lots of roofing companies are now offering the solar included if they do the re-roof. Of course nothing is free but it might be worth checking out.

Old 12-03-2013, 10:52 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,943,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
No it's just the facts and the sad part is low income people where a large part of their expenses are energy are the ones footing a very large portion of the bill.

Since the 70's........ when is it this transition ends?

Guess it's time to end it then.
Perfect.

Old 12-05-2013, 06:12 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,515,104 times
My research also supports OpenD's comments.

I'll just touch on a couple.

I've seen prices of the panels drop significantly. The problem has been the high install cost. If I forego paying for installation, which means I can't get the incentives, the payback is 5 years and with the installation and the "incentives" it is worse. Since I really don't want to install it myself, I am waiting.

And I agree on the roof part - especially now since your roof can be fine, but old - and insurance companies are still requiring a new roof after a certain age to get home owners insurance. (Also to sell, but if you are doing that much to the house, I can only assume that you wouldn't be looking to sell)

And yes, don't rush into anything. Do your research and make your own decisions. Sounds a little pushy and weird to me as well. If your "this isn't right bells go off", it is usually for a good reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living