Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 09:20 PM

40 posts, read 330,108 times

Advertisements

I live in Conyers GA and just got a 4kw system installed a paid 20k for it and that came with with the attic wrap and solar attic fan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 09:28 PM

102,235 posts, read 108,076,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murph1982 View Post
Hello, I would like to have solar panels placed on my roof which receives plenty of sunlight. I have a 4 bedroom cape cod, 2,000 square feet. My electric bill averages approximately $ 200.00 a month. I live in Southern New Jersey. I have not received an estimate but I have heard where estimates are running in the range of $ 65,000 for set up cost. Is there anyone on the message board that has converted over to the solar panels and are you happy with the investment? I would really appreciate your suggestions and advice! Please let me know!
Don't forget, you have to replace the panels after about 25 years.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:28 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,530,316 times
Does that include incentives or are you getting money back so the actual cost to you is less than the $20k? (Like the 30% Federal Tax Credit and does where you are in GA have any incentives?)

Old 01-28-2014, 10:56 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,464,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Don't forget, you have to replace the panels after about 25 years.
Maybe. Currently it's not unusual to get a 20 or 25 year warranty, with an expectation they could last longer. There are first generation solar panels that are still in service after longer than that, and the newer stuff is much improved.

What does happen is that there is a long, slow decline in the power output, of about 1% per year.

Old 01-29-2014, 06:24 AM

6,848 posts, read 8,003,108 times
I suspect most of these current systems will be replaced before the warranty runs out. Replacing panels is relatively cheap and the performance of future panels will justify early replacement. Panels are already under $1/watt at wholesale. In 15 years unnatl ill be able to replace his panels for a couple thousand dollars and probably get 5kW.

Old 01-29-2014, 06:12 PM

296 posts, read 572,216 times
Thank you everyone for all of the helpful advice! Very interesting topic.

Old 01-29-2014, 08:02 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,963,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Maybe. Currently it's not unusual to get a 20 or 25 year warranty, with an expectation they could last longer. There are first generation solar panels that are still in service after longer than that, and the newer stuff is much improved.

What does happen is that there is a long, slow decline in the power output, of about 1% per year.
Better hope your roof lasts longer than the panels. How many people can say their roof won't need replacing within the next 20 years?

People buying and installing panels now are riding and hoping on a technology about to be disrupted in a big way. The days of decades before an improvement in this area will reach consumers is over. The current efficiencies have been around for a while and it is doubtful we'll see anything but a pretty big jump in the efficiency rating of panels. It might take a few more years but even so, in a lease you're stuck.

The other thing with a lease is that you had better read the fine print. Say a new technology in panels comes along. You are in a long term lease. So the nice leasing company replaces your panels, at no cost to you of course, because they are such nice people. Too bad they aren't going to give you the benefits unless that is part of the lease contract. While your rates could be locked in, they could also be locked in to a much higher rate than you'd have if you bought panels yourself and switched them if the expense was worth it.

On the roof part though, few people read the part about rood repairs. If your roof was installed 10 years ago, the probability of having to replace it within 10 years is pretty high. You could end up with a real headache especially if the leasing company wants only their installers to remove the panels so you can deal with the roof.

Most people are far better off lowering their electric energy needs first. The more you reduce your need for electricity, the less attractive solar panels become. There are also a lot of benefits: get new TVs, replace your lights, insulate the house, put in passive lighting etc. All make the home more livable, save money and so on. You might find that the benefit of panels isn't as great then.

Old 01-29-2014, 08:10 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,530,316 times
Mack Knife - I guess that is why people with land put the panels on a different structure than on their roof. You make very valid points about roofing systems and panels. The removal for roof repairs is a real concern and can really add to the cost. Would be a good idea to get a new roof with the panels (wait for that replacement cycle and start them together). Also, you might be able to integrate the panels better into the new roof...

Old 01-30-2014, 01:04 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,464,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
Mack Knife - I guess that is why people with land put the panels on a different structure than on their roof. You make very valid points about roofing systems and panels. The removal for roof repairs is a real concern and can really add to the cost. Would be a good idea to get a new roof with the panels (wait for that replacement cycle and start them together). Also, you might be able to integrate the panels better into the new roof...
The experience of people who have dealt with this seems to say something different... roofs which are shielded by solar panels last much longer, so they say don't wait unless you have a roof that is already near replacement.

Old 01-30-2014, 10:38 AM

6,848 posts, read 8,003,108 times
I know someone who just had roof work done. Pv company removed and reinstalled system at no cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living