Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 08:34 PM

563 posts, read 1,790,929 times

Advertisements

I just realized I have installed a pensar energy management system, but it has been disconnected for quite some time. It looks pretty old, not sure if it still works, bur wondering what purpose this serves and if its worth turning back on (assuming it works). I'm tempted to just remove the dang thing, as its taking up a switch on my circuit box.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2014, 08:49 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,496,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWGuy View Post
I just realized I have installed a pensar energy management system, but it has been disconnected for quite some time. It looks pretty old, not sure if it still works, bur wondering what purpose this serves and if its worth turning back on (assuming it works). I'm tempted to just remove the dang thing, as its taking up a switch on my circuit box.
Here's what their website says...

Quote:
PENSAR® is an advanced microcomputer load control system that can help substantially save on your utility bills. It does so by monitoring your total electric consumption and controlling high energy usage appliances in order to limit your "peak demand".

Products Page

Old 03-19-2014, 06:48 AM

6,848 posts, read 8,013,294 times
If this limits your peak demand, it will not save money on a typical residential bill because most residential service is billed based only upon total energy used. Some tariffs bill based upon time of use. I'm not aware of any that bill residential service based upon peak demand. Check with your utility.

Old 03-19-2014, 10:10 AM

23,637 posts, read 70,592,836 times
There used to be off-peak heaters using storage salts, and homes with them had a peak and non-peak rate. Sometimes water heaters were handled that way as well, but electric companies have gone more towards addressable load reduction for peak limiting. A pulse on the power line indicates to turn particular high load appliances on or off during peak periods.

Old 03-19-2014, 01:24 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,540,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
If this limits your peak demand, it will not save money on a typical residential bill because most residential service is billed based only upon total energy used. Some tariffs bill based upon time of use. I'm not aware of any that bill residential service based upon peak demand. Check with your utility.
Actually there are some utilities that also bill based on peak demand load. In other words if you needed 20KW you'd pay extra for that demand.

For an example, see the Juneau, AK electricity rates.

Snippet:

"Your electric bill not only includes charges for the amount of energy you use, but it also tracks and charges you for an electrical "demand" that occurs at your home during each monthly billing cycle. This demand component charge is designed to cover part of the actual costs of providing electricity to your home."

Source: Alaska Electric Light and Power Demand Rates

Old 03-20-2014, 06:50 AM

With a thousand utilities there will always be one. Demand billing is a typical billing format for commercial and industrial accounts, but not the norm for residential. My guess is the poster doesn't live in Juneau.

Old 03-20-2014, 06:56 PM

563 posts, read 1,790,929 times
thanks I live quite opposite of Alaska - Arizona! But I get the jist of it now. Thanks everyone, I will be removing this thing.

Old 03-20-2014, 07:37 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,975,965 times
In some areas, if you have an energy management system and it limits peak time energy use then the utility company might exempt you from certain energy conservation requirements being imposed upon you in critical times.

There is some talk about having different tiers of cost for energy based on the time the energy is being used. Smart meters are a step in that direction along with other objectives. If that becomes a reality, then an energy management system would have some financial benefits.

Old 03-20-2014, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
In some areas, if you have an energy management system and it limits peak time energy use then the utility company might exempt you from certain energy conservation requirements being imposed upon you in critical times.

There is some talk about having different tiers of cost for energy based on the time the energy is being used. Smart meters are a step in that direction along with other objectives. If that becomes a reality, then an energy management system would have some financial benefits.
Time-of-use meters have been around for decades. On the residential side, they haven't produced much behavioral change. Peak demand management would produce very little impact on a time-of-use meter.

Old 03-21-2014, 01:17 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,540,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
With a thousand utilities there will always be one. Demand billing is a typical billing format for commercial and industrial accounts, but not the norm for residential. My guess is the poster doesn't live in Juneau.
Yep. Usually for businesses and it just happened to be that we almost moved to Juneau and I was looking up utility rates in the area.

Now that I thought about it. I remember when I was looking at whole house generators.

That EMS system is more than likely for when you are running on a generator at your house during an power outage. I can easily pull 20 KW or more if everything were to turn on at the same time. However, a 10 KW generator would keep me comfortable. An Emergency Management System could prevent all of my central a/c units from kicking on at the same time as an example or turn circuits off to allow the water heat to run.

These are common with automatic transfer switches to whole house generators. It would be silly for me to buy a 50KW generator just to handle a few minutes of potential high demand when for the most part I am utilizing under 10 KW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living