Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 04:22 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,464,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
I've yet to see analysis that supports lawn mowers are a significant environmental problem.
What would you consider significant? They foul the air with visible smoke, noise, and bad smells. They are the #1 cause of environmental pollution in the immediate area while they are in use. Isn't that enough?

When you look at the total environmental burden caused by green grass lawns... water usage, chemical runoff... it's a wonder they have such a hold on the collective psyche. In many communities they are mandated by HOAs and in some cases even by municipal requirements. Yet the days when green lawns supported flocks of grazing sheep, or were maintained for the upper class by serfs or slaves are long gone.

Xeriscaping... landscaping with drought tolerant native plants... and food gardening are valid and environmentally friendly ways to use personal real estate, even in urban environments. Grass lawns are not.

Seriously, America's addiction to neatly trimmed green lawns around private homes as a societal norm is a significant environmental burden.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2014, 05:17 PM

6,848 posts, read 8,003,108 times
I'm persuaded that overfertilized lawns cause some problems in some areas. Local smoke for an hour once a week during the summer does prove global environmental damage. I'm just asking for an analysis that shows this is something that we should deal with.

Old 04-18-2014, 06:13 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,963,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
I'm persuaded that overfertilized lawns cause some problems in some areas. Local smoke for an hour once a week during the summer does prove global environmental damage. I'm just asking for an analysis that shows this is something that we should deal with.
I am reasonable certain there are some available via the Internet. It would be good if you could find one you thought was worthwhile and then bring it here for discussion. Not everyone will agree that something should be done so "we" is relative to individual perspectives. Nevertheless, see what you can come up with, it might be interesting.

Old 04-18-2014, 06:33 PM
Zot

468 posts, read 682,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
"Based on current calculations, EPA estimates that the amount of pollution emitted by a lawnmower operating for one hour is equivalent to the amount of pollution emitted by a car driven for approximately 45 miles"
So if I toss my electric battery powered lawnmower, and buy a gas powered lawnmower (which I tend to think won't happen). I will be polluting less than if driving about going to the mall, have a nicer yard, and will burn energy to help lose weight.

Is the EPA trying to sell us on gas powered mowers?

Old 04-18-2014, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zot View Post
So if I toss my electric battery powered lawnmower, and buy a gas powered lawnmower (which I tend to think won't happen). I will be polluting less than if driving about going to the mall, have a nicer yard, and will burn energy to help lose weight.

Is the EPA trying to sell us on gas powered mowers?
Who knows what the EPA is trying to do. As with any government organization, it's primary function is to make sure it remains relevant and gets more funding, then impose regulations on some, give waivers to others and then cast blame on the rest.

Without lawns, what would Home Depot do?

Old 04-18-2014, 07:03 PM
Zot

Quote:

Without lawns, what would Home Depot do?
Sell lumber, hardware, electric, plumbing and other building supplies?

Old 04-18-2014, 07:25 PM

Lawns and everything involving them is a big part of their business, the profit margins are very high for materials and all the other plants and such that center on the lawn.

If as someone said, abolish lawns, there would be a very significant adverse effect on the economy.

Old 04-18-2014, 08:30 PM
Zot

Smile The green green grass of home

Quote:
Lawns and everything involving them is a big part of their business, the profit margins are very high for materials and all the other plants and such that center on the lawn.

If as someone said, abolish lawns, there would be a very significant adverse effect on the economy.
If only lawns weren't so darn green.

Old 04-19-2014, 09:32 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,530,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zot View Post
If only lawns weren't so darn green.
I couldn't rep you again, but I about fell off my chair when I read that...

Heck, I wish I didn't have to keep a yard. But in the tropics, everything grows fast and all year 'round. Always cutting, pulling, or trimming something.

I visit Arizona every once in a while, and every once in a while I see a yard with grass on it, and I think to myself, WHY???? I'd be happy doing next to no yard work and not looking like I don't care.

Old 08-11-2014, 01:15 PM

2 posts, read 1,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
Given how many people mow the lawn in the summer... and the fact that lawns themselves aren't even the most environmentally friendly thing around, I'm surprised here in 2014 that we still don't have any sort of mandated requirement to use a catalytic converter. Perhaps someone with more knowledge on the subject would chime in on the issue.

I'm a social libertarian of sorts who supports gun rights, owns multiple guns, supports marijuana legalization, etc. but also support common sense legislation to combat pollution, and I'd have no problem spending an extra 50-100 bucks to use a mower augmented with a converter... plus as a person who owns physical palladium and sees it as an attractive investment, I'd probably get my money back and then some... the amount of palladium used in each one is trivial, but adds up to a lot of ounces in a tight market.

In any case, I'd like to hear your opinions on the matter. Also if you have any opinions on 2 stroke boating engines which I also have issue with when it comes to lake pollution, and boating in general, feel free to chime in.
Emission reduction technologies do exist for all engines, lawn mowers, snowmobiles, ATVs, motor cycles, etc., etc., but do to a LACK of emission regulations these technologies remain IDLE, disappointing isn't it?

The emission regulators for both Canada, and the United States of America, are allowing small engine manufacturers to continuously pollute our environment, mainly the air we all have to breath.

Unlike emission regulations for cars and trucks that regulates and measures all three pollutants separately, carbon monoxide, hydrocarbons and oxides of nitrogen,
small engines manufacturers are allowed to measure two pollutants for ONE emission value, hydrocarbons PLUS oxides of nitrogen, thus allowing an increase in either emission.

Small engines are major contributors to the formation of SMOG, and this is do to their emitted values of oxides of nitrogen (NOx). Oxides of nitrogen created by small engines can move or blow from town to town, state to state and country to country, mixing with hydrocarbons created by other sources and still form SMOG, therefore, we need stringent emission regulations for ALL engines and not just the automotive sector.

Environment Canada, reveals that SMOG is responsible for 16,000 premature deaths each year in Canada, thousands of unnecessary hospital visits, not to mention it's associated cost to Health Canada.

FYI, the leaner an engine operates the less carbon monoxide and hydrocarbons will be emitted, however, there is a trade off while burning lean, the emitted oxides of nitrogen values increases significantly thus allowing a SMOG forming pollutant.

We need small engine emission regulations that specifies all three pollutants, carbon monoxide (CO), hydrocarbons (HCs) and oxides of nitrogen (NOX), be tested and measured individually such are those of cars and trucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living