Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 01:11 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,988,204 times

Advertisements

They've already figured it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 01:51 PM

6,848 posts, read 8,022,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
With an increasing population, increasing demands on productivity that requires more land use, there is no such thing as surplus land. It is a finite resource. Only those who see a use for land for their own agendas see that land as surplus and without regard for anyone else.
You obviously don't travel much. Out in the Great Plains there are entire states that have a population less than a good sized city.

Old 05-13-2014, 03:03 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,248,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
You obviously don't travel much. Out in the Great Plains there are entire states that have a population less than a good sized city.
And how about states like Nevada where the government owns 95% of the land in the state....

Old 05-13-2014, 07:00 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,096,238 times
Quote:
Silly argument. We have so much surplus land in this country that land is only an effective constraint for hydro power.
Surplus land?? I see that you do not view fish and wildlife, ecological preserves, public land, recreation, etc. etc. as "valid" uses.

Put the windmills in the cities. We do not need to trash our public lands with industrial wind areas!!!

Would you allow the building of warehouses on public land?? Industrial wind areas have the same ecological effect except they spin.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:31 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,248,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Would you allow the building of warehouses on public land?? Industrial wind areas have the same ecological effect except they spin.
Spin and kill wildlife...

Old 05-14-2014, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Surplus land?? I see that you do not view fish and wildlife, ecological preserves, public land, recreation, etc. etc. as "valid" uses.

Put the windmills in the cities. We do not need to trash our public lands with industrial wind areas!!!

Wind turbines encumber about 1 acre/turbine. They are typically placed about 1500 feet apart. Modern turbines don't impact fish or other wildlife. We are going to put a lot of them on public land. It's already been decided.

BTW cattle do a lot more damage to BLM land.

Old 05-14-2014, 06:11 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,759,017 times
Quote:
Smokescreen....
market dispatchable Nukers provide 20% of this nations power about 90% of the time.....
Nuclear reactor characteristics and operational history
while non-dispatchable wind provides @4% of our power @34% of the time
U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) - Source
Short-Term Energy Outlook - U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)

Old 05-14-2014, 06:16 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,759,017 times
Quote:
Wind turbines encumber about 1 acre/turbine. They are typically placed about 1500 feet apart. Modern turbines don't impact fish or other wildlife. We are going to put a lot of them on public land. It's already been decided.

BTW cattle do a lot more damage to BLM land.

You should keep up with setback rules. All areas are different but here it's 5 rotor diameters North and South and 3 diameters East and west from the property line and 3 diameters from another unit. I just carved another 20 out of a guys field. That's 3 sections around me that will never see a friggin one go up...

Old 05-14-2014, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
You should keep up with setback rules. All areas are different but here it's 5 rotor diameters North and South and 3 diameters East and west from the property line and 3 diameters from another unit. I just carved another 20 out of a guys field. That's 3 sections around me that will never see a friggin one go up...
I'm not sure what this has do do with my point, which was that wind turbines don't encumber much ground. And don't worry for every one you stop, five more will go in elsewhere. Farmers are falling all over themselves to lease easements.

Old 05-14-2014, 09:37 AM

28,987 posts, read 30,394,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Spin and kill wildlife...
it is a proven fact, after they complained about the Alaska Pipe line, that animal wildlife, actually flourishs around the pipeline, it did nothing to damage Wildlife....and neither will wind mills. And if you think so, then how? What will they do to harm wildlife....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living