Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 11:50 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,722,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
I'm not sure what this has do do with my point, which was that wind turbines don't encumber much ground. And don't worry for every one you stop, five more will go in elsewhere. Farmers are falling all over themselves to lease easements.
Really

Wind power line proposal irks some Midwest farmers : Business

https://www.wind-watch.org/news/2014...s-survey-says/

April 2014: Farmers not sold on wind turbines, survey says

https://www.wind-watch.org/news/2014...-from-farmers/

farmers fight back against big wind
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2014, 02:26 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,988,143 times
There are plenty of people who complain about wind turbines -- all of the people the developers bypassed.

Old 05-14-2014, 03:14 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,261,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
S

Would you allow the building of warehouses on public land?? Industrial wind areas have the same ecological effect except they spin.
The same people who said just leave footprints all of a sudden have no problem ruining millions of acres with behemoth structures and crisscrossing supply roads. Footprints?

Old 05-14-2014, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
The same people who said just leave footprints all of a sudden have no problem ruining millions of acres with behemoth structures and crisscrossing supply roads. Footprints?
As far as I know we don't put wind turbines in National Parks. BLM land is not meant to be pristine. It's meant to be used commercially.

Old 05-14-2014, 05:45 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,426,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever
Wind turbines encumber about 1 acre/turbine.
Not really. The pads they stand on are a couple hundred square feet. The rest of the ground under them are usable for growing crops or raising livestock. That's why many farmers are happy to sign a lease that pays them $5K lease per year per tower, because it doesn't interfere that much with normal farming underneath.

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
You should keep up with setback rules. All areas are different but here it's 5 rotor diameters North and South and 3 diameters East and west from the property line and 3 diameters from another unit.
That's where you are, not everywhere. And the rising interest in VAWT designs, which use a vertical spiral blade design in place of the common three-bladed "propeller" HAWT design, renders rules like this obsolete, and in need of reworking to suit an entirely different geometry.

Quote:
509 said
Would you allow the building of warehouses on public land?? Industrial wind areas have the same ecological effect except they spin.
Keep in mind the choice is not wind farms or nothing. The choice is wind farms... which do not pollute the air... or fossil fuel sources which do. Wind farms do not cause huge toxic spills which kill countless wildlife and and ruin their habitat. Wind farms are not involved with fiery train wrecks with destroy property and kill people and animals. Wind farms do not require carving the tops of mountains off to expose the coal seams underneath. Wind farms do not pollute underground water supplies nor cause earthquakes like fracking for oil and gas do. Wind farms do not require huge refineries to process their fuel... which is free, and which is renewable.

Whatever you don't like about wind farms or solar farms, the currently available traditional choices are worse.

Old 05-14-2014, 06:10 PM

OpenD, my experience is that most developers fence about an acre of ground around each turbine. Some of that obviously depends upon what foundation type is used, but an acre is a pretty good thumb rule. Maybe some developers don't fence their turbines but that seems strange.

Old 05-14-2014, 09:05 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,261,600 times
Quote:
As far as I know we don't put wind turbines in National Parks. BLM land is not meant to be pristine. It's meant to be used commercially.
Could people use "BLM land" to ride ATVs, have off road races or use for dirt bikes?

Old 05-14-2014, 10:13 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,944,637 times
Quote:
You obviously don't travel much. Out in the Great Plains there are entire states that have a population less than a good sized city.
Population of a state has nothing to do with surplus land. Obviously your travels didn't provide you with clues to figure that out.

The logic or lack thereof in your comment is amazing.

In my travels I did know enough to understand that just because there isn't someone standing on every acre of land holding up a sign proclaiming ownership doesn't mean no one owns the land or that they aren't using it.

Old 05-15-2014, 06:55 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,722,465 times
Ultimately I benefit from more wind towers. I just hate to look at the things.... The more that go up the more fossil fueled power plants I get to build!

Old 05-15-2014, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Could people use "BLM land" to ride ATVs, have off road races or use for dirt bikes?
I think that happens already. Atvs can really tear up the place so there need to be limits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living