Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 05:24 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,426,027 times

Advertisements

Although the cost of generating electricity from renewable power sources such as wind and solar is currently higher than burning fossil fuels, the cost is steadily dropping, and the facts that they emit zero carbon pollution, and their energy source is endlessly renewable continues to drive growth in this segment of the US energy portfolio...

Quote:
Wind Farms Flourish Across The U.S. As Interest In Renewable Energy Skyrockets

Wind energy is expected to make up about 4.6 percent of total U.S. electric power generation by 2015, totaling about 77,000 megawatts of wind power capacity nationwide, U.S. Energy Information Administration data show. That’s up from 3 percent in 2012, when total U.S. wind power generation capacity was about 60,000 megawatts. One megawatt of wind power is enough energy to provide electricity to roughly 300 homes.

A new interactive map featured on the U.S. Department of Energy’s website shows how fast all those wind farms were constructed. Wind Farms through the Years | Department of Energy

Wind Farms Flourish Across The U.S. As Interest In Renewable Energy Skyrockets
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 07:51 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,516,539 times
Still a long way from challenging fossil fuels. But it is step in the right direction. At least in my opinion.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:56 AM

I don't look for monolithic solutions. We really need to look at multiple niche solutions to add up to a meaningful and effective change.

Old 04-22-2014, 11:33 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,516,539 times
Hey... That's usually my line...

I read a different article that said that Solar and Wind power generating capacity outpaced nuclear. And that a lot of nuclear projects are being abandoned in place of solar or wind, because it is cheaper to put up a solar or wind farm than it is to build a new Nuclear plant to current code requirements. Now what happens and how bad that article was "spun" I don't know.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
I read a different article that said that Solar and Wind power generating capacity outpaced nuclear. And that a lot of nuclear projects are being abandoned in place of solar or wind, because it is cheaper to put up a solar or wind farm than it is to build a new Nuclear plant to current code requirements.
Not only is it cheaper, but the permitting process is far faster and easier for renewable power generation facilities.

Another advantage occurs to me, over most power generation methods - modular expansion is possible as demand increases. What I mean is that typically when an existing generating plant reaches capacity, adding more capacity requires another very large investment... another reactor, say, another boiler, another turbine... to add another large piece to the plant.

But a windfarm built with 2 MW turbines, can add additional capacity in 2 MW chunks as needed. Want 20 MW more capacity? Add 10 more turbines. And if the land acquisition and permitting process has included planning for the future, the additional capacity might be online in a year or less. The same could be said for solar photovoltaic facilities.

Old 04-28-2014, 12:13 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,278,566 times
normally I'm against tax credits but building these is a better use of our resources than spending a billion dollars on a couple of fighter jets... Obama should have extended that tax credit out for several years so that wind power capacity would have continued to explode.

I live just west of that big blob in western MN around Pipestone to Lake Benton where there are lots of them and I don't find them to disturb the scenic view of the countryside at all. It's nice knowing that the wind is being put to good use. There's more than enough potential sites to put wind power to provide energy for all of our energy needs, assuming expansion continues at an accelerated pace. It will not with the tax credit being expired.

Money is just numbers on a screen and can be wiped away with inflation.. might as well make use of it now while our currency is still solvent. Building wind farms, improving our roads and bridges, good uses of tax money compared to wasting it on the military (especially the high priced stealth aircraft) .. or for that matter subsidizing the corn industry and promoting the use of our food supply for fuel (ethanol)

Last edited by sholomar; 04-28-2014 at 12:21 PM..

Old 04-28-2014, 01:11 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,944,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
normally I'm against tax credits but building these is a better use of our resources than spending a billion dollars on a couple of fighter jets... Obama should have extended that tax credit out for several years so that wind power capacity would have continued to explode.

I live just west of that big blob in western MN around Pipestone to Lake Benton where there are lots of them and I don't find them to disturb the scenic view of the countryside at all. It's nice knowing that the wind is being put to good use. There's more than enough potential sites to put wind power to provide energy for all of our energy needs, assuming expansion continues at an accelerated pace. It will not with the tax credit being expired.

Money is just numbers on a screen and can be wiped away with inflation.. might as well make use of it now while our currency is still solvent. Building wind farms, improving our roads and bridges, good uses of tax money compared to wasting it on the military (especially the high priced stealth aircraft) .. or for that matter subsidizing the corn industry and promoting the use of our food supply for fuel (ethanol)
Just how does equating fighter jets and wind turbines work? Without the fighter jets, you might be hand cranking electric generators to run your laptop.

There are always other areas where money is spent that can be seen as excessive or questionable. However to use that as an example doesn't make too much sense unless it is an either or problem.

If you believe that wind power is the answer, and I am not saying it isn't one of a number of solutions possible to address energy needs, then why do you need a tax credit to put one up? Go ahead, get the kit, assemble it and go for it I say.

Old 05-05-2014, 12:19 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,397,033 times
I'm happy to see it continue to increase. I'd like the increases to be larger, but at this point, I'll take anything. There's really no excuse for us to not be at 40-50% from renewables by 2020, but that's also highly unlikely to happen. For now, I'll wish for more private rooftop solar installations to make small dents in the residential energy usage. But every time I read about larger scale wind farms I'm very happy.

Old 05-07-2014, 03:41 PM

635 posts, read 783,723 times
It should only take a few million wind turbines and a thousand square miles of solar panels to equal the power of one nuclear reactor. Of course everyone is happy to have these bird killing monsters in their backyard?
Its a nice idea,like magic powers.But in reality? Remote cabins and people who can adapt to using less power are the main users of soar and wind.
I use a few panels and a battery bank. Its ok for limited use.

Old 05-07-2014, 06:14 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,988,143 times
There is about 100 GW of nuclear capacity in this country and about 60 GW of wind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living