Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 11:38 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,896,245 times

Advertisements

I hate vinegar smell, smells like I just threw up. My wife uses it to clean though and it does go away once it has dried.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 11:47 AM

36,753 posts, read 14,890,473 times
I use white vinegar and washing soda (or plain baking soda) weekly on the drains.

Old 05-21-2014, 02:07 PM

6,887 posts, read 7,933,510 times
I think y'all are crazy. I tried cleaning with vinegar and it smelled so bad! My husband came home hours later and asked why the house reeked of pickles. Maybe i used too much. And I did not find that it cleaned any better than ordinary Lysol all-purpose cleaner (active ingredient: Lactic acid)

I clean with a small amount of product, don't use ammonia for anything except windows, and I LIKE the smell of bleach (also don't use much of that). Bleach is not expensive, so I don't see what the big savings is.

Admittedly, I'm not a clean freak. Mostly wipe the countertops with the dishrag after doing the pots and pans in the sink.

Old 05-21-2014, 02:54 PM

42,029 posts, read 75,457,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTY483 View Post
We use it. Its supposed to work well as a disinfectant but IMO it is a poor solvent. I still use comet when I need to.
If you need the bleaching action of cleanser, try hydrogen peroxide and baking soda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
Bleach is not expensive, so I don't see what the big savings is.
It's not about money; bleach is toxic and harmful to the water system.

Old 05-21-2014, 04:27 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,400,220 times
I don't wash clothes in vinegar, but I add about 1/4 cup during the rinse cycle. No smell remains on the clothes. It makes the clothes softer and there's no static electricity (which is huge in Phoenix with 4% humidity!)

I use it once or twice a month in every drain in the house. 1 cup baking soda down the drain, then one cup white vinegar. It makes it all smell so much better and the drains run faster.

I mix it with water and use it to wash all the windows. It cleans them streak-free and there's no smell afterwards.

I have a Vitamix blender that is used every day. I soak the pitcher in about a cup of vinegar for an hour before finishing the wash cycle. Pouring the vinegar down the garbage disposal after I've added a cup of baking soda helps me do double duty and have a sweet smelling garbage disposal.

It may be that you are using too much. We get used to using all these chemicals that we think "if it's natural, I need to use 3x the amount!" Try mixing with water or using a little less.

And yes, you can add either lemon or lavendar to the vinegar to help with the smell.

Old 05-21-2014, 04:28 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,462,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post
Vinegar is cost-efficient and environmentally friendly for housecleaning.

However

1) In my opinion Vinegar doesn't smell very good. How to feel clean with that smell? Mix in essential oils like lavender?

2) I have used vinegar to clean before and it just seemed so watery (and I'll repeat- smelly) and didn't seem to clean up the surfaces at all, no more than water would.

3) And as far as using it for laundry...some sources say it's good for washing, other sources say it's good as fabric softener.

Please share your thoughts & tips?

I like using vinegar to clean. My husband hates the smell of vinegar but it dissipates very quickly. There are so many "green recipes" for cleaning out there.

First start with an essential oil that has antibacterial properties:

Lavender…the one I use the most
Lemon
Peppermint which is very Christmassy around the holidays and it is good to deter any mice
Orange
Tea Tree….which is the most powerful and good to use for bathrooms and kitchens

My all purpose cleaner is:
1 Cup Vinegar
3 Cups Water
15 Drops of an essential oil you like….I like lavender and my stepdaughter uses this:
Cleaning Blend

I also make a homemade soft scrub paste which I use for tougher jobs:
1/4 Cup Dish Soap
1/2 Cup Water
3 drops Essential Oil (optional)
Baking Soda

Mix the wet and add the baking soda to make a paste. Keep it in a wide mouth container as the baking soda will settle and need to be stirred. Or you can make a quick batch as needed.

If you have greasy or grimy things to clean just add a little dish soap(a little goes a long way or you will have to rinse) to the all purpose cleaner. That will cut the grease.

Old 05-21-2014, 05:07 PM

24,152 posts, read 32,653,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I do clean with it and I prefer the smell to ammonia or bleach. I mix it with baking soda when cleaning a counter top or stove.

I also use it to wash windows.
I meant to say "to wash WNDOWS"... I really need to stop multitasking while posting.

Old 05-21-2014, 05:37 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,427,828 times
I use vinegar to make glass cleaner, in combination with baking soda to clean drains, and in the washer as a softening agent. I don't find the odor offensive.

Old 05-21-2014, 06:05 PM

24,152 posts, read 32,653,403 times
On something white, straight lemon juice applied to the fabric, and left in the sun; does the trick.

Old 05-25-2014, 10:43 PM

12 posts, read 15,035 times
The best way to use vinegar is to spread it all around the floor or anything you want to clean,leave it for 10 mintues and then clean it as you want.It will be good if you use some kind of washing liquid with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living