Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2014, 11:59 AM

173 posts, read 257,175 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm majoring in sustainability/geography and am not sure what I'd like to do exactly, but am thinking something like environmental consulting and mapping. If you have experience in the environmental sector, what specific knowledge/skills would you suggest someone entering it learn? I already plan to get acquainted with using ArcGis (once I buy myself a non-Macbook computer, anyway, since it doesn't run on Mac).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2014, 04:55 PM

28 posts, read 32,879 times
GIS is good. But also your writing skills. Get familiar with Environmental Impact Reports and biological/geological studies. Be familiar with all federal environmental laws (NEPA, ESA etc.) and your respective state (for me CEQA, California Environmental Quality Act).

And try get a government job, the private industry is cutthroat.

Old 06-27-2014, 05:12 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,745,280 times
Geotechnical Engineering, Geology, Hydrogeology, Hydrology, Geophysics, Civil Engineering, CAD, GIS, LEED AP.

Old 06-28-2014, 12:18 AM

194 posts, read 506,375 times
I majored in Meteorology and had jobs in resource conservation, tribal environmental programs, and air quality. GIS does help. I recieved a certificated in GIS at a local community college while working during the ArcGIS 9.x series. If you want to start free, try QGIS. Works on a mac too. Even mastering Google Earth (regular or pro) is very helpful, as many environmental based jobs use that nowadays. Just like most jobs...expert knowledge of the MS Office Package is useful (Excel, Word, Access, PPT). I'm looking into developing my database development / basic computer programming skills to help my career. It helps when you're working with a lot of data.

There's a professional certification know as the QEP (Qualified Environmental Professional) issued by IPEP that looks good on the resume. Once you have at least 5 years experience you can test for this. They also have a credential for new professionals / students called the EPI.

There are also professional organizations such as the AWMA (Air and Waste Management Association) that offer memberships and professional development to new professionals. I'm sure there's something similar for Water Quality, Env. Justice, and other Env. fields.

If you join with a non-profit, grant writing is a good skill to pick up too.

Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living