Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 09:15 PM

927 posts, read 986,614 times

Advertisements

I am intrigued by the small house movement and eco villages around the country and possibly the world wondering how would one start to engage that type of lifestyle.

Ecovillage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Small house movement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I heard building and living in small houses are outlawed and heard currently most invidivual who chose to do so in pursuiing that types of lifestyle in a rural, isolated and secretive areas around the country mostly.

My self living in silicon valley depending on car, condo with internet, cable, cellphone bay area that seems almost impossibility however I am not quite interested on total isolation from mainstream lifestyle but just wondering how would one living in major metropolitan area have an option if one wants to do so at least partially.

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2014, 08:13 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,559,088 times
Don't take this as an attack, as it isn't - I just want clarification. It'll actually help me understand you better and maybe help you as well. I have only dabbled in small house movement mostly because it runs in concert with the ECO living part.

Anyways, I haven't heard that building a small house per se, is illegal. As long as it meets current building codes, who is saying your house has to be XXX sq. foot? So I am not sure what you mean? A source would be helpful. What is the min. square foot you have to build?

In urban areas especially, there are issues with manufactured homes, mobile homes, or trailers in certain areas - but those are more directed at the type of construction there are and not square footage.

Old 07-09-2014, 06:35 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,555,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggcd951 View Post
I heard building and living in small houses are outlawed and heard currently most invidivual who chose to do so in pursuiing that types of lifestyle in a rural, isolated and secretive areas around the country mostly.
I'd say that is a mix of myth and rumor, with a light smattering of facts.

The key concern of government agencies that regulate housing construction is health and safety. What we call building codes today arose out of disasters like the Chicago Fire and the San Francisco Earthquake, in which many people perished from the collapse of flimsy buildings, and then many more died from the diseases carried by the spread of raw sewage.

So naturally, what you plan to do with your own bodily waste is the number one governmental concern you have to deal with. And that is not so easily dealt with in urban areas, where cesspools and septic tanks are often not allowed for new construction. That's why you see many of the tiny houses in urban spaces being tucked away in a friend or relatives' back yard, and built on wheeled chassis so they can be moved in the event of issues. In essence these are an updated version of campers and trailer, handmade rather than factory built.

The further out into unincorporated rural areas you go, the less you have to deal with the niceties of urban living, so most of the people interested in building tiny houses on permanent foundations seem to be heading for the hills.

In terms of minimum size, I think the key limitation is local codes specifying the minimum size certain kinds of rooms must be, such as 6' x 9' for a bedroom, or a certain number of square feet for a bathroom. These regulations, many quite old, were meant as anti-slum measures, and to keep landlords from renting out closets as sleeping areas.

So along comes this new Tiny Houses movement, and it does not comfortably fit within existing parameters for a legal dwelling in many places. That leaves one with two viable choices... work to change existing regulations, or move to an area where it's not a problem. That's why it's referred to as a "movement," because many people are working on the former.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:39 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,842,362 times
The issue is that many jurisdictions require a minimum house size for a regular housing permit. A lot of tiny houses are built on trailers, because then your house can be licensed as a recreational vehicle, so you don't need a housing permit. As far as I know, no one requires any inspection of a tiny house on a trailer.

However, if you do build a tiny house on a trailer, with plans to park it on land, you may run afoul of other housing regulations that limit the length of time and circumstances that you can live in a rec vehicle.

I suggest you sign up at this site - Tiny House Blog | Living Simply in Small Spaces

Very active and informative.

Old 07-11-2014, 11:44 AM

927 posts, read 986,614 times
I see, i really did not give a thougth about sewer and water lines. these are big issues. and definitely will be an issue when large number of people living this way. as for now looks like movement is limited to the few dont know when or whether it will be a mainstream. i think it is right regulators should come up with something that allow dwelling in smaller units et.c et.c,

Old 07-11-2014, 02:40 PM

177 posts, read 340,365 times
Although the Tiny houses look like an inexpensive alternative. the ones I've seen made by persons are really not mobile homes although they are built on old trailers. Shingled roofs do not fair well at Highway speeds and unless wood construction is crossbraced correctly it does not stay tight when moved. Mobile homes require Fresh water tanks holding tanks for Black water and have their own set of codes to be built to. Tiny homes might be suitable for Off-Grid living conditions as is stated in previous posts. But for permanent in city living they can be a hassle. HVAC must meet codes and air exchange in small volumes can be a problem in colder climates. Even most hunting cabins are larger then some of the tiny houses I see. DOT rules limit height to 13'6" unless you get oversized load permits when you move it.

If you are young and adventurous and don't have any stuff but some clothes and a laptop it may work out.

My suggestion for persons who want to experience the lifestyle is to go find an old 16' travel trailer and live it for a while.
Just remember everything you have must fit in the unit and your car/truck. Otherwise you are fooling yourself.

Old 07-11-2014, 05:42 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,555,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmmenn2014 View Post
My suggestion for persons who want to experience the lifestyle is to go find an old 16' travel trailer and live it for a while. Just remember everything you have must fit in the unit and your car/truck. Otherwise you are fooling yourself.
Excellent advice. I once had the good fortune to be able to rent a 20' Airstream trailer for a while, and park it on my land and live in it, and it sorted out for me a lot of questions about how much space I really needed for what, and how different things would work. It was enormously valuable in planning what I wanted to build.

Old 07-12-2014, 06:01 AM

2,004 posts, read 6,850,315 times
If you want to live like this to see if you like it go rent a travel trailer and live in it at a campground for a few months, start with just electric and sewer only hooked up. Then see if you really want to live like that and see what you end up adding or going without.

Old 07-12-2014, 07:17 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,559,088 times
I wish the OP luck with this. I decided long ago that permanently living in a tiny house isn't for me, not that I need a mansion either.

Like OpenD - living in an RV proved that out for us.

Old 07-12-2014, 08:45 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,704,923 times
Quote:
As far as I know, no one requires any inspection of a tiny house on a trailer.
If one plans on moving it on public roads, it indeed needs to be inspected, licensed and registered.
Building one on a piece of land and leaving it there would still require certain permits. What makes it 'easier' (cheaper) is that it is not considerd a perminant structure, and will not add any value to the property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living