Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 12:48 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,100,599 times

Advertisements

Yes, inside every solar panel is a special type of magnet that attracts sun rays. This means that wherever one puts a solar panel, the amount of sunlight will increase according to the square footage of the panel. I am tired of the cloudy days here so we plan to put a solar panel on the roof to draw the warmth and shine of the sun.

If it weren't for those intelligent senators and representatives from our neighbor state of KY, I would never have known.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2014, 02:07 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmaster View Post
At least once a week I hear the term "global warming" from the media. No one seem to have a definite clue on what may be causing it or if its a fact at all. Some people think it can be controlled by stopping the amount of carbon emissions...etc. Some think solar panels is one tool that can help solve the carbon emission problem. Questioning with an inexperienced non-scientific mind, if global warming really exist, can more solar panels be a contributor to it? Solar Panels are designed to collect/attract the sun rays and turn them into energy. Like a magnet drawing in not only rays but heat also. With enough solar panels scattered everywhere on the planet, that's a lot of heat being drawn to the planet that wasn't being drawn in before the creation of solar panels. The reason for this question, I think back as a kid with a magnifying glass in hand me an my friends used to set things on fire using the magnifying glass to collect the suns power/rays. With this in mind, I think of some solar panel farms in different locations and some that you can't get close to, because of the heat being generated. And I never heard of a "heat test" being done on the area around these solar panel farms, a test of the amount of heat being drawn in or a theory/test of the cumulative compounding affect of heat/rays being collected by so many solar panels.Anyone with a clue please chime in!
Even if we were to assume this was true (which it isn't) it would be an infinitesimally small amount compared to the amount of BTU's already being delivered by the sun. The sun delivers a huge amount of heat on the earth's surface.

I've head this argument before except it's usually used for the BTU's released by fossil fuels. Even using biased numbers towards BTU's the amount released over the last century through fossil fuels would only equal a few hours of sun.

Old 07-24-2014, 03:38 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,843,414 times
Quote:
At least once a week I hear the term "global warming" from the media. No one seem to have a definite clue on what may be causing it or if its a fact at all. Some people think it can be controlled by stopping the amount of carbon emissions...etc. Some think solar panels is one tool that can help solve the carbon emission problem. Questioning with an inexperienced non-scientific mind, if global warming really exist, can more solar panels be a contributor to it? Solar Panels are designed to collect/attract the sun rays and turn them into energy. Like a magnet drawing in not only rays but heat also. With enough solar panels scattered everywhere on the planet, that's a lot of heat being drawn to the planet that wasn't being drawn in before the creation of solar panels. The reason for this question, I think back as a kid with a magnifying glass in hand me an my friends used to set things on fire using the magnifying glass to collect the suns power/rays. With this in mind, I think of some solar panel farms in different locations and some that you can't get close to, because of the heat being generated. And I never heard of a "heat test" being done on the area around these solar panel farms, a test of the amount of heat being drawn in or a theory/test of the cumulative compounding affect of heat/rays being collected by so many solar panels.Anyone with a clue please chime in!
Here is my advice. Read, research and read some more and make up your own mind. The "digested" science out there is not really science, it is opinions driven by agendas. You have come to the wrong place to ask about global warming, there will be people on both sides of the isle pushing their own agendas, sometimes rabidly. Start with the papers on this page: Dr. James E. Hansen — Publications

For the sake of thoroughness, try to find science opposing his science. Mind you, not _opinions_, SCIENCE.

One major problem in this country is the wide-spread ignorance. It is actually quite scary. Scientific literacy is very low and people do not want to spend the time or they have no intellectual or educational capacities to research a topic thoroughly and understand what is actually going on. The number of people getting degrees has been increasing but the quality of the degrees has been decreasing (personal observation, have no proof or studies to point to). But, full stomachs, empty heads....

Old 07-24-2014, 04:57 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
LordyLordy - you are so very, very correct.

Faith is easy and science is difficult. No wonder we are a society based on belief in a technological and scientific world. After all Faux Noise knows everything and Limpjaw and Hannahatety are Profits of the New church of Ignorance on Earth. Have Faith and enjoy.

Old 07-24-2014, 05:26 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,008,103 times
Solar panel are the result of so called climate change , as it is the beginning of the end of the industrial revolution

Old 07-24-2014, 05:59 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,440,633 times
Quote:
It sounds like you watch Fox News. We do know what is causing it --- The greenhouse gases we've put into the atmosphere. We do know how to reduce our impact --- By reducing the pollution we put into the atmosphere.

Solar panels don't draw more energy from the sun. They collect energy that would have simply been absorbed into the ground or whatever surface. A solar panel DOES absorb more energy than a light colored surface, but the surface area is so small relative to the size of the earth that it has a tiny tiny impact

Old 07-24-2014, 07:26 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
A solar panel DOES absorb more energy than a light colored surface, but the surface area is so small relative to the size of the earth that it has a tiny tiny impact
You were doing good until this statement, which is nonsensical.

How much energy a solar panel absorbs or doesn't absorb is irrelevant. Not "tiny tiny," but absolutely irrelevant.

All the energy of the sun, all of it, no matter how we transform it or use it winds up being converted to different frequencies and radiating out into space sooner or later... unless it is trapped by greenhouse gases and heats up the air, water, and land faster than the heat can be radiated away.

Global warming is caused by that atmospheric heat entrapment, what we call the greenhouse effect, not by whatever surface the sunlight happens to fall on in the first place.

Look up the final (?) show in the new Cosmos science series, hosted by astrophysicist Neil DeGrasse Tyson in which he discusses this phenomenon in detail. I think it's available online.

It's quite startling to realize that the surface of the Earth could become hot enough to melt lead, simply by raising the CO2 level high enough that the sun's energy could get in to our atmosphere, but not get back out.

Old 07-24-2014, 07:42 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,440,025 times
We would be DEAD by then. CO2 is a trace gas, necessary for our survival. Excess amounts at the level indicated would be very toxic. The Earth has had higher levels of CO2 than exist today. Temps have been higher and have been lower.

People like Dr. Hansen have made forecasts that have never come to pass. Example is the claim that the Arctic would be melting. This last winter it was much larger. we had so much ice that there were ice bergs in the Great Lakes in June.

NOAA weather shows that temps have not increased in the last decade. A micro-review showed that DFW temps actually have declined in the last 2 years.

The fact is that the alarmist models set to justify government action have failed at every level.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:20 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,744,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos_Danger View Post
You're behind the times. The name global warming was replaced with climate change years ago. Climate change was replaced with climate disruption. What ever name you use people have come to see it as just the latest scam to fleece the taxpayer.
Australia has repealed their 'carbon taxes'. Several vested interests have been caught manipulating data to show warming where it was not.
Solar panels I would imagine a positive overall.
I think they've come full circle back to Global Warming now.

Old 07-24-2014, 09:22 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrain View Post
We would be DEAD by then. CO2 is a trace gas, necessary for our survival. Excess amounts at the level indicated would be very toxic. The Earth has had higher levels of CO2 than exist today. Temps have been higher and have been lower.
Please review the special rules for this forum in the sticky thread at the top. If you wish to debate the reality of climate change or global warming, this is not the forum for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living