Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2014, 10:04 PM

563 posts, read 1,792,679 times

Advertisements

I have a bunch of west-facing windows that let in large amounts of sunlight/heat. I'm looking for help on what to look for in a window tint, I plan to buy it and install it myself. I'm looking for something that reduces heat transfer, while not darkening the window too much.

Could someone recommend a brand or two, or a web site for purchasing? I've heard good things about the product at HD as well, didn't know if there was something else better out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2014, 10:06 PM

Just to reiterate, I'm trying to cool down the rooms these windows are in, as they are much warmer than other rooms. Do not want drapes at this time.

Old 09-09-2014, 09:46 AM

1,126 posts, read 2,933,556 times
You might consider Solar screens. We use them and really like them. Go up in the spring and come down in the fall.

Old 09-09-2014, 10:54 AM

id consider solar screens but then they remove the light, correct?

Old 09-09-2014, 01:35 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,529,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWGuy View Post
id consider solar screens but then they remove the light, correct?
Yes, solar screens reduce the amount of light coming in, kind of like putting sunglasses on your windows. But so does solar film. One advantage is being able to take them down in winter. Another is appearance... the darkening of windows, from the outside is generally more acceptable than the reflective look of much solar film... so much so that some HOAs ban the use of solar film.

Old 09-09-2014, 02:38 PM

thanks, I also have sliding glass doors, and we don't want to do drapes/shades. Do screens come in that large of a size? Since these are on the side of the house, the reflection of film won't be an issue with HOA.

Old 09-09-2014, 08:06 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,529,414 times
Quote:
thanks, I also have sliding glass doors, and we don't want to do drapes/shades. Do screens come in that large of a size? Since these are on the side of the house, the reflection of film won't be an issue with HOA.
Yes, I used to live in a house with big sliding glass patio doors, and the solar screens worked well. The were also easy to put in and take out.

Old 01-07-2015, 06:44 PM

266 posts, read 451,886 times
Quote:
I have a bunch of west-facing windows that let in large amounts of sunlight/heat. I'm looking for help on what to look for in a window tint, I plan to buy it and install it myself. I'm looking for something that reduces heat transfer, while not darkening the window too much.

Could someone recommend a brand or two, or a web site for purchasing? I've heard good things about the product at HD as well, didn't know if there was something else better out there.
3M has about the best I have witnessed. Don't expect too much other than high reflectance or interior Low E. ALso if you have decent storm windows place the reflective material on them. Then, on the interior side of the glazing place a Low E product. Don't expect to get an "R" product for your glass, expecially if you want to see out of the window.

A a wee bit of Shaklee's wetting agent to distilled water for wetting the sheet otherwise you'll have a nightmare on your hands. Have plenty of sharp razorblades and keep your hand clean. Use a lint-free clothe when doint the clean prep. I have seen sealed in lint within applied films.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-08-2015, 09:04 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,771 posts, read 81,718,245 times
Tap Plastics sells the films by the foot, we used it on some of our windows and it's been great for over 10 years with no peeling or signs of deterioration. They are a west coast company but ship, perhaps you have a similar kind of company in your area.

Old 01-14-2015, 10:40 AM

266 posts, read 451,886 times
Quote:

Many options, even venetian blinds do a very effective job at shedding unwanted heat and light. Put them on a motorized operator and all is automatic when the sun shines through.

There are right and wrong films. The very first thing you need to do is calculate the heat loss and gain for the affected room. the formula is BTU/hr = SF area x U (1/R-value) x TD (temperature difference Inside - Outdoor or visa verse for summer). The formula needs to be done for the average summer and winter temperature for your area, (+/- 5 deg).

Saving 168 btu/hr internal film, 204 btu/hr for external films (per sf) are possible. However once you calculate your total btu/hr gain/loss you may further understand you may want to keep some of that heat for winter heating. If so, then you will have to quantify the surplus and compute then film percentage right to achieve the desired amount of heat for winter situations.

Awnings? Unless winter solar is still too great.

Because various building materials have different U values you will have to perform the calculation for each material untill all segments are totaled. Door, windows, thermal bridging, walls, roof, floor, etc. When you have a grand total you need to especially look at the heat gain through standard glass.

I think I commented on tinting before. Be reminded dark tints will convert solar to heat. Secondly, if installing for higher reflectivity and you have storm windows install the reflective fil on the exterior of the inside glazing. Think of the matter as a visible light reflecting bathroom mirror. Space is necessary to reflect visible light. Without space, such as placing one's thumb against the mirror, then the matter becomes one of conductance, not reflectance. The same holds true for window films and solar radiated energy.

In summer operation - minimally open the storm windows as to permit air to circulate between glazing systems because the heat can get rather intense.

If you want to go the extra mile I might suggest the inside surface of the inner window have a Low-E film applied. This will help in summer and winter. Low-E has basically impedes a material's ability to radiate stored energy from a substrate in this case.

Films can be balanced to arrive at a near exact balance for summer/winter needs. Films are available in percentage of performance, so shoose wisely, mathematically. Lastly, google for hints on installing window films - they may seem simple but films can be tricky from time to time. This is a lengthy topic and I desire not writing a book but can help if I know precisely where you are knowledge wise on the topic.

FYI: Standard single glass is R 0.98, or having a U = 1.02.

This is a good post, thought provoking for the general public to begin understanding interactional dynamics of heat.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living