Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 04:29 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,783,438 times

Advertisements

I use the plastic grocery bags daily to scoop my cats' litter boxes into. I also take 2 plastic grocery bags with me on dog walks. He is often a 2 poop a walk dog, so I re-use a LOT of plastic grocery bags. A tiny sandwich bag definitely would NOT cut it...he's 100 pounds, so his poopsie are rather large.... I also line my bathroom garbage cans with plastic grocery bags.

I use the paper grocery bags to hold my recyclable cans and bottles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 04:54 PM

10,255 posts, read 6,346,458 times
How am I supposed to scoop my cat litter? Cannot put it in the toilet bowl with scoopable litter (clog it), never mind I would have to carry it from one room to another. Don't DROP it!!!!! lol

Walk them on a leash outside? POTTY train them?????

Old 09-18-2014, 08:30 PM

7,084 posts, read 8,969,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
i think we need to get rid of the plastic water bottles. they are everywhere
Some states have deposits on cans and bottles, Maine started first in 1976, this should be nationwide.

I don't waste money on bottled water, I have a Pūr filter.

Old 09-18-2014, 10:18 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,485,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
How am I supposed to scoop my cat litter? Cannot put it in the toilet bowl with scoopable litter (clog it), never mind I would have to carry it from one room to another. Don't DROP it!!!!! lolWalk them on a leash outside? POTTY train them?????
I had a friend years ago who had 7 large black cats. I thought, whoaaa, this must be a huge challenge to keep up with their litter box! I paled at the thought.

Then I discovered that she had trained her cats to use the toilet. And to flush!

No joke, she was one of the most amazing women I've ever known.

Old 09-18-2014, 10:20 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,485,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
I use the plastic grocery bags daily to scoop my cats' litter boxes into. I also take 2 plastic grocery bags with me on dog walks. He is often a 2 poop a walk dog, so I re-use a LOT of plastic grocery bags. A tiny sandwich bag definitely would NOT cut it...he's 100 pounds, so his poopsie are rather large.... I also line my bathroom garbage cans with plastic grocery bags.
Ohmigard, how did people ever survive in the days before throwaway plastic garbage bags? It must have been absolutely brutal in those days!

Old 09-19-2014, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Ohmigard, how did people ever survive in the days before throwaway plastic garbage bags? It must have been absolutely brutal in those days!
Well, I had a housecat growing up, and I know my parents did not scoop daily. Instead, they just threw out the entire full box every few days and refilled with new litter. They also burned all their garbage. My dad still burns all his garbage.

Since I live in the burbs with scoopable cat litter, I will continue to RECYCLE and REUSE my bags.

Old 09-19-2014, 07:03 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,404,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
How am I supposed to scoop my cat litter? Cannot put it in the toilet bowl with scoopable litter (clog it), never mind I would have to carry it from one room to another. Don't DROP it!!!!! lol

Walk them on a leash outside? POTTY train them?????
I reuse cereal bags, bread bags, the plastic bag the sunday paper comes in, chip bags, coffee bags, etc most of the time. Very rare are the days that I don't have at least one of those - on those days, I use a doggy waste bag made out of cornstarch.

I don't get why people have to have liners for bathroom trash cans? I don't really end up with trash much in our bathroom cans though.

I refuse plastic bags at the store all the time - I don't get why people have to have plastic bags really. I made my own bags out of fabric (so I can throw them in the wash) and carry a large tote style purse most of the the time.

I also don't get the bagging of items where the bag makes it harder not easier to carry. I bought a gallon of apple cider yesterday at Walmart and the clerk put it in a plastic bag. The cider had a plastic handle and was room temp so no condensation...

Old 09-19-2014, 07:04 AM

6,848 posts, read 8,009,820 times
We pile leaves in the sidewalk box here. The city comes by and vacuums them up. It's been that way for over 30 years.

Old 09-19-2014, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
I reuse cereal bags, bread bags, the plastic bag the sunday paper comes in, chip bags, coffee bags, etc most of the time. Very rare are the days that I don't have at least one of those - on those days, I use a doggy waste bag made out of cornstarch.

I don't get why people have to have liners for bathroom trash cans? I don't really end up with trash much in our bathroom cans though.

I refuse plastic bags at the store all the time - I don't get why people have to have plastic bags really. I made my own bags out of fabric (so I can throw them in the wash) and carry a large tote style purse most of the the time.

I also don't get the bagging of items where the bag makes it harder not easier to carry. I bought a gallon of apple cider yesterday at Walmart and the clerk put it in a plastic bag. The cider had a plastic handle and was room temp so no condensation...
I don't eat cereal, so no cereal bags.
I go through about 1 loaf of bread every 2 weeks.
I don't get any papers.
I don't eat chips.
I buy a big box of 80 Kcups, so no coffee bags.

As far as bathroom trash can liners....women require liners. Women of a certain age have wetter garbage at certain times of the month.

I'll continue to re-use and recycle plastic bags.

Old 09-19-2014, 07:37 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,751,586 times
Be the change you want to see in the world. I haven't used plastic garbage bags for a couple years now, instead I use a wooden crate, if it gets dirty I just spray it with water or let the rain do its thing.

As for totes, I believe everyone should be using them, my problem is I sometimes forget mine, in those instances I will use paper bags and recycle them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living