Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 10:15 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,954,215 times

Advertisements

Why do you follow me around from thread to thread?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2014, 05:23 PM

208 posts, read 330,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Maybe he has "Bromance" syn drone

Old 12-04-2014, 06:13 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Quote:
You're hysterical. Absolutely hysterical. A walking, talking fiction factory.

I just comment on whatever suits me on the Green Living forum. That's not following you around. Whereas you actually followed me to my "home" on the Hawai'i Forum and commented about my posts there, and have done the same with other random posts I've made in other places.

Please stop making personal comments about me and just stick to the topic.

Old 12-07-2014, 03:51 AM

2,765 posts, read 2,793,395 times
Quote:
Darn right. The idea that small countries are models for larger ones with many times the population of the smaller ones is a joke.

)
But if you look at them as models for individual states, especially the smaller U.S. states, it becomes less silly. If each state did their part, eventually we would have a nation wide bicycle infrastructure comparable to the European nations.

Old 12-09-2014, 07:41 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,521,399 times
230 feet of trail.....$3.7 million dollars. I wonder what poor suckers will end up sucking up the bill for that clusterflop.

Old 12-09-2014, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankapotomus View Post
But if you look at them as models for individual states, especially the smaller U.S. states, it becomes less silly. If each state did their part, eventually we would have a nation wide bicycle infrastructure comparable to the European nations.
Actually it still doesn't work because small countries are sovereign nations with their own economies, different laws and regulations, different energy sources and different cultures.

While the states are all different, we share a national (federal) government, interstate commerce is nearly seamless, we have a shared culture even though each state has it's own.

You're forgetting that those small countries often have their own, smaller states contained within their country so no matter how you cut it, the models don't work.

Really, a nationwide bicycle infrastructure? Come on, the distances involved just don't work. The Euros do not have a shared bicycle infrastructure anyway so there really isn't a point of reference in all this.

This is the trap that so many fall into when trying to compare Europe to the USA. You can't because they are simply different, in so many ways that can't be reconciled.

Old 12-09-2014, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
230 feet of trail.....$3.7 million dollars. I wonder what poor suckers will end up sucking up the bill for that clusterflop.
Its a balloon trial, nothing more. These things come up and instead of recognizing them for what they are, there are actually those who jump right in, become believers and think it will really become more than what it is, a novelty. Meanwhile, untold millions go down the proverbial toilet because someone got suckered into thinking media headlines actually mean something more than that.

Just how many homes could have been fitted with rooftop solar for that money? At least there would have been some minor return on investment. With all the efficiency problems those pathway panels have to start out with, apparently no one there owns a calculator.

Get enough riders on those pathways and the shadows they cast will make it even less efficient. All that and for what? A concept that has no real chance at being put into practice beyond a media story?

Old 12-09-2014, 08:21 PM

What is truly amazing is that conservation of resources is so often overlooked. Like conservation of money and spending it wisely instead of on one-off tests with little commercial application.

Old 12-09-2014, 11:32 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,895,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankapotomus View Post
Yeah, especially out west in MT, ND, SD, WY, UT and other sparsely populated states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living