Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 06:15 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,153,734 times

Advertisements

I object to the constant music at grocery stores, restaurants, etc., especially when you can't hold a conversation over the music.

I like music as much as the next person, and I like to blast it, too, on occasion. But I don't like it 24/7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
To address the OP, take a look at the bubble wrap/millennial generation...

Me me me, they don't care that their boom boxes or home theater systems radiate sound for hundreds of feet and the bass can vibrate things hundreds of feet away.
People have been blasting their music for 40+ years. You can't pin it on one generation or another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2015, 07:45 PM

7,074 posts, read 8,936,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
This is why I absolutely hate Harleys and the like. Nothing shatters a nice quiet evening like those pipes nuking your ears. Thanks a lot, jerk.
I have one of those Harley "****" in my neighborhood, thinks nothing of riding down my street at 2AM waking everyone up.

Old 02-19-2015, 04:04 AM

5,405 posts, read 3,597,111 times
I think these days the trouble is people are "penned" closer and closer together in our cities and large towns and have no "personal space" which breeds this kind of attitude, not caring about their neighbours and streets. or maybe its just modern life, they just haven't got time to give a damn about anyone else.

Old 08-03-2018, 05:23 PM

118 posts, read 201,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
I think these days the trouble is people are "penned" closer and closer together in our cities and large towns and have no "personal space" which breeds this kind of attitude, not caring about their neighbours and streets. or maybe its just modern life, they just haven't got time to give a damn about anyone else.
All of this ^^^ plus construction in the USA compared to most of wester Europe is appalling. Even today in Germany, they use a mix of concrete in the INTERIOR walls of multi family buildings. Yes, you have to get a wifi repeater in every room, but at least you don't hear anyone else!

I lived in a 1950's NYC building that was built using FHA loan guarantees that was made so cheaply, I could hear my next door neighbor sneezing. Luckily, she was respectful and so was I, and outside of daily noises, I never heard her music or TV and she didn't hear mine either (the one that moved in after her had zero respect, but she was a miserable porcine, well you get the picture).

At the same time, I live in a 1922 building a few blocks away from the aforementioned, for 4.5 years with neighbors above, below and to the sides and never heard anything outside of normal living (un-amplified internal sounds) because the building was constructed properly. International building standards are getting better in regards to sound (it's now up to 50 STC, which is better than the previous 33, but it really should be 70 or higher) but it does nothing to help the millions of buildings that are already built and NO ONE wants to spend money to retrograde to deal with the modern electronic world.

Old 08-04-2018, 11:14 AM

39,861 posts, read 26,489,397 times
Talking, especially loudly and inconsiderately, I find the most annoying-beyond Harleys, trains, all but rap music! I don't care to hear about your girlfriend's day, or all the trivia of some people's lives. Some people seem to be unable to ST*U for 30 seconds at a time! Just part of life in an overcrowded, densely packed concrete jungle. Makes me appreciate the peace of the country.

Old 08-30-2018, 02:16 PM

673 posts, read 465,613 times
Move...........problem solved.

Old 09-09-2018, 01:59 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,071,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoasting View Post
All I can say is there are times that I want to roll every damn leaf blower, chainsaw, vespa and motorcycle into a ball and bury them deep.

For my money the damn leaf blowers are the worst, please just get a broom.
I agree. Leaf-blowers are stupid and a waste of money. I'm always seeing paid municipal workmen walking around the City, getting paid just to blow 2 or 3 stray leaves, very noisily.

Old 09-09-2018, 06:31 PM

1,279 posts, read 851,575 times
Remember, in the US, "loud = good and normal", and "quiet = bad and weird".,

I can't stand noise, particularly loud conversations, loud people on public transportation and motorcycles. Sometimes I think I'm the only one!

Old 09-19-2018, 10:07 PM

118 posts, read 201,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
Remember, in the US, "loud = good and normal", and "quiet = bad and weird".,

I can't stand noise, particularly loud conversations, loud people on public transportation and motorcycles. Sometimes I think I'm the only one!
You're really not the number one complaint landlords get from tenants is regarding noise, the second is smells, but smells for the most part are much easier to control: you just get a good HEPA filter and run it at full force when you smell something and in about 5 - 10 minutes most or all of the smell is gone. Noise on the other hand requires the person making the noise to either stop it or lower it (if it's electronic) OR spend thousands of dollars soundproofing your apartment...!

Old 09-20-2018, 07:03 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,722,465 times
Wonder what some of you folks would say about this noise issue! Particularly as it impacts other "green" issues.

Judge's ruling against Minnesota wind farm causes alarm for advocates - StarTribune.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living