Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 03:40 PM

986 posts, read 2,518,194 times

Advertisements

I see more and more people sitting in their cars with the engines running while using their "mobile devices." It seems more prevalent with smartphones than plain old cellphones, either due to the Internet distraction factor or because more people own them now. Once I saw it go on for at least 30 minutes, with the idler also leaving her lights on the entire time in a parking lot. Do these people give a second thought to waste in society?

It tends to occur more often in uncomfortable weather but it can be just marginally uncomfortable. A thinking person would blast their heater before they park and notice that the car retains ample heat for 5 or 10 minutes (the heat permeates the interior and keeps radiating). Park away from windy areas to maximize that effect. You will survive some mild discomfort and your life will go on! On hot days you can often find shade trees to park under, which saves on A/C fuel waste when you drive again. At least don't park with the windshield facing into the Sun.

People seem to think any risk of non-luxury time is an excuse to waste fuel and spew CO2. The worst offenders are slouches with big V-8s who'd probably yell about "property rights" if you questioned their idling habits. Now, with shale oil abetting a temporary a price drop, and winter coming on, smug smartphone idling will probably increase.

People also spend too much time warming up engines in general. Many are stuck on old stories from a time when engines had more slack and clearances took longer to mesh. It's more efficient and better for the engine to warm it up under load by driving slowly for a few minutes. The transmission is also less strained or shocked, along with the engine. Modern diesel engines only need to be idled for a few minutes for warm up or turbo cool down.

I see people start their engines in the morning while absorbed in their smartphones, then they get distracted and the warm up time becomes much longer than its already excessive period. Get a clue, people. There is less oil in the ground every second and AGW still looms.

https://www.google.com/search?q=excessive+engine+idling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2014, 04:26 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,559,849 times
When it was nice out and waiting for my kids to get out of school, I would shut the truck off and wait for them with the windows down. I usually have my phone charged up before I leave the house... And I think I could leave the truck off and my phone plugged in for days before noticing a difference. FWIW, The lights on most cars are on - DRLs - you have to intervene to turn them off and then you forget to turn them back on... DRLs should turn off when you go into PARK - some do - most don't. I actually wish my super duty had DRLs since it is illegal to drive with your lights off, day or night here. Back to attempting to create the muscle memory to turning lights on and off, something I haven't had to do in 25 years of driving.

Now to my point - it is in the low +20Fs here. My truck when turned off will keep the radio and interior lights on for up to 5 minutes after I turn off the key. WAY WAY WAAAAAAAAAAAAY before that happens, it feels like I never had the heat on. I actually start to feel cold with my jacket on (but not zipped up) in about a minute. I'll time it next time. NO way I am doing this in single digits or colder. Once you get to the below zero stuff, turning your car off presents another potential challenge called restart. It just might not...

I was driving before cell phones were in use at all. And the behavior is the same. If it is marginally uncomfortable out, people will wait in their cars with them running. I don't see how the smartphone has changed this - other than making the wait in the vehicle more enjoyable. When my mother went shopping or had to stop at work, I would stay in the car and *GASP* read a book while I waited in the vehicle.

Yes, it is wasteful. And since I don't like pointing out problems without solutions, here it is. Several countries have anti-idling laws to the point that the VEHICLE must automatically turn OFF when you are stopped or are in PARK. My wife's Volt does this, unless the battery is really, really low.

Old 12-03-2014, 07:49 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,805,425 times
Back when I had to pick up kids from school and events, I left my vehicle idling while waiting if it was about 20 degrees or colder. I did not have a phone back then. I read in the car while waiting for the kids to come out. If it was warm to hot out, I just rolled down the windows.

Old 12-03-2014, 08:05 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,307,440 times
I often leave my car idling (when I'm in it) to recharge the cell phone. I hate to do it, but this new car (Prius) that I just bought won't charge my phone with the engine shut off. The engine itself will automatically turn on and off as needed to keep the interior warm, but if I push the "off" button, no cell charge. And yes, I do need to charge my cell phone, as I use it constantly throughout the day for work, often taking several hundred pictures. That runs the cell's battery down in a hurry, and it usually won't recharge during the time it takes me to drive from one location to the next.

Funny, eh? I trade my F250 diesel for a Prius to save fuel costs, but, unlike the F250, the Prius must be "on" to charge the cell phone.

Old 12-03-2014, 08:21 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,910,859 times
Not understanding your issue; people on the smartphone or people idling? One does not have anything to do with the other.

Old 12-03-2014, 09:32 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,805,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Not understanding your issue; people on the smartphone or people idling? One does not have anything to do with the other.
This is true.

I idled looooong before I had a smart phone.

Old 12-03-2014, 10:38 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,531,582 times
Buy a cell phone with removable batteries. There are some good ones that let you swap batteries. If you have an iphone you're stuck though and their batteries don't last very long.

Old 12-04-2014, 12:01 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,874 posts, read 81,907,203 times
Despite the wasted fuel, I'd rather have people sit idling their engine while texting rather than driving while doing the same.

Texting and Driving Statistics

Old 12-04-2014, 07:08 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,558,018 times
People sitting in cars in very hot or very cold weather tend to leave their engines idling to heat or cool the car, whether they are using a cell phone or not.

I have lived where the law is that idling an engine more than 5 minutes, and the law is generally ignored when it is 100 F outside. Even by city vehicles.

Old 12-05-2014, 07:33 AM

6,848 posts, read 8,030,946 times
Seems like someone wants to be angry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living