Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2014, 09:32 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,983,083 times

Advertisements

yep they do not explain the increase it one and not the other. It could even be solar as many have started saying and nothing we can do about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2014, 10:40 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,490,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
The amount of ice at the poles has changed since they existed. Only recently have humans figured out they could blame it all on people and make money doing so.
Only recently has it changed so drastically and so rapidly. Native tribes living in the area for thousands of years say that what is happening now is unprecedented in their people's history. Weather changes rapidly. Weather changes quickly. Weather changes all the time. But not climate.

But climate... which is the weather trend over long periods of time... normally changes slowly. It is only within our lifetime that it has changed so rapidly that 1,000 years worth of glacier buildup can disappear in 25 years.

Like I said, if you can put down the preconceptions and biases long enough to actually look at the information that is available, it's beyond all the skepticism and scoffing and disbelief. There's simply far too much data that rapid climate change is real for any reasonable person to ignore. Within the scientific community, that debate has been over and done for a decade. The US Military has already been planning for it for years, as have most government entities around the world.

To deny that rapid climate change is real, at this late date, is really to disassociate yourself from modern science and rational thought.

The science around causes and possible cures is not as settled, although the evidence for it being caused by carbon dioxide emissions in the air caused by human activities which burn carbon based fuels is very strong, and has won the consensus of a large majority of scientists working on the issues. It may not be conclusive, but it is strongly compelling, with no other theory about what is happening that enjoys even a fraction of the same support among climate scientists.

And the irony to me, since virtually the entire opposition to these scientific conclusions has been financed by the fossil fuel industry, which has trillions of dollars at stake, is that that people who fall into line behind their propaganda are all so focused on the money they think the other side is making out of this controversy. But the combined fossil fuel industry, in all its permutations, has vastly more money on the table, and in their activities and interests is where the real money trail is to be followed.

Old 12-06-2014, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
yep they do not explain the increase it one and not the other. It could even be solar as many have started saying and nothing we can do about that.
It absolutely IS solar, yes, but since the ouput of the sun has not changed, there's really only one other place to look... at the amount of solar energy that gets trapped inside the "greenhouse" of earth's atmosphere, as a portion of the energy that would normally be radiated out to space can't get past the greenhouse gasses in the upper atmosphere.

And we've been increasing that reflective layer ever since the industrial use of coal, oil, and gas began. That's precisely what switching to renewable energy sources that don't emit carbon pollution is all about.

Old 12-06-2014, 11:08 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,848,436 times
I see how this works. If I don't agree with every climate change talking point I'm not being rational and I refuse to see modern science. Damn, that's convenient.

If sceintists can't even decide if eggs are good or bad for you, something that simple in the grand scheme of things, why in the hell would I assume they're 100% right about the big stuff? The meteor that wiped out the dinosaurs was a whole lot worse than anything we can do, and we're still here.

Old 12-07-2014, 01:08 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,725,931 times
The sea level is rising. As near as we can tell, that is from two causes:

1: Land ice is melting

2: Water expands as it warms

There are no other known causes for a sea level rise. Pack ice, of course, has no effect on the sea level.

Old 12-07-2014, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
I see how this works. If I don't agree with every climate change talking point I'm not being rational and I refuse to see modern science. Damn, that's convenient.
No, that isn't it. Even well informed people can disagree on specific points. The problem with trying to have rational discussion in this area is that so many people are NOT well informed, but have strong opinions about everything nonetheless, opinions which are based on personal bias or political agenda, rather than on factual information.

Quote:
If sceintists can't even decide if eggs are good or bad for you, something that simple in the grand scheme of things, why in the hell would I assume they're 100% right about the big stuff?
They don't have to be 100% right to be useful to us. Virtually all of modern life is based on science, which is a systematic search for truth and understanding. A couple of days ago scientists fired a powerful rocket into space, had it circle twice around the earth at an altitude of 36,000 miles... 15 times higher than the space lab... then dropped it into the ocean at almost the exact point targeted.

That's useful stuff, and it comes from the same people who are studying the atmosphere, and the ice caps, and the environment. So why WOULDN'T you believe them, when the main voices claiming they are wrong are people who have a lot of money at stake if we shut down the use of fossil fuels and all the pollution they produce?

Quote:
The meteor that wiped out the dinosaurs was a whole lot worse than anything we can do, and we're still here.
Factually, we were not here when that occurred, and very little life on earth did survive. Mankind did not emerge until many millions of years later.

Old 12-07-2014, 09:15 PM

208 posts, read 331,361 times
Quote:
Again, if you aren't playing political games, it isn't a Gotcha at all, just a new data set to incorporate into the scientific investigation.
Dam right it's political,it's about control.
Someday hopefully you'll realize that fact!

Old 12-07-2014, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
The sea level is rising. As near as we can tell, that is from two causes:

1: Land ice is melting

2: Water expands as it warms

There are no other known causes for a sea level rise. Pack ice, of course, has no effect on the sea level.
I call bs,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPyqPmGns8o

Old 12-07-2014, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberguy1950 View Post
I call bs,
That's because you aren't a scientist, and aren't considering the big picture.

The seas are rising, and coastal lowland areas are at risk all over the world. The two main causes, as determined by researchers are that 1) melting glaciers and pack ice, much of them on solid ground, are flooding the ocean with additional water and 2) warm water is less dense than cold water, so it not only floats, but it expands.

Old 12-07-2014, 10:14 PM

At 63yrs. old I don't need to be a "scientist" we've heard this all long ago with no results,I don't appreciate you filling our youth with nonsense.Shame on you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living