Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 02:59 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Wonderful. And just when it that supposed to happen for everyone driving?
Nobody knows. It will be a gradual process, I'm sure. After all, if the AVERAGE age of American cars on the road is 14 years, as the DOT says it is, then ceasing to sell gas cars today could still take decades to flush them all out of the system. But the number is rising, the trend is up, and customer satisfaction with EVs is high, so I think it is safe to say that the segment has only just begun to take off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I'm no laymen where this topic is concerned OpenD but to say CO2 is causing the increase in temperature is like saying you added insulation to your house and it's trapping heat without knowing if the windows are open. The variables that regulate climate are far more complex than one single gas.
Yes, of course, but this is the factore which is bigger than all others combined, so it is intelligent to tackle this issue first.

Quote:
That's besides the point, I can get in my car and drive for 6 six hours. Fill up in 5minutes and drive for another 6 hours. I can repeat this process until the car mechanically fails. For one of my trucks I could of done this 24 hours. At my house I have enough coal in 6*12*5 space to heat 6000 sq. ft for the entire season and my house is old.
Good for you. And if everyone fit the same profile as you, you might have a point, but they don't, and you don't.

Quote:
Efficiency doesn't matter if it's not practical. EV's certainly have their place but don't expect they are going to replace gasoline/diesel.
Not yet, no. But it's very, very early in the game. Fuel cell EVs could certainly change that picture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 03:32 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Yes, of course, but this is the factore which is bigger than all others combined, so it is intelligent to tackle this issue first.
And you are basing that on what?

Old 12-08-2014, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Good for you. And if everyone fit the same profile as you, you might have a point, but they don't, and you don't.
I hate to break the news to you but many people fit my profile and where heat is concerned everyone fits my profile because nearly 100% of home heating is derived from fossil fuels in one shape or another.

Old 12-08-2014, 05:34 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
And you are basing that on what?
Oh, good grief... I'm basing that on decades of research and the conclusions of the majority of scientists studying the climate change issues. Obviously.

Old 12-08-2014, 08:06 PM

208 posts, read 330,874 times
Weather Channel Co-Founder John Coleman: Climate Change Is a Myth | Fox News Insider

According to Weather Channel co-founder John Coleman, however, there is no scientific proof that supports man-made climate change.

Old 12-09-2014, 09:37 AM

Quote:
......and the conclusions of the majority of scientists studying the climate change issues. Obviously.
Like the Doran study which is so often cited because it's the only one that actually attempted to poll scientist directly? Where the 97% figure is actually 77 scientists and the relevant question was purposely made ambiguous?

It may be obvious to you or the generation that has grown up on Al Gore's movie and constantly being fed this narrative from the media but it's not so obvious to those of us that have actually taken the time to research it.

I'll give you one simple variable. Increased CO2 also results in increased growth in plants, forests are also one of the largest emitters of CO2 from plant decay. That carbon can be locked up for years, decades, centuries.... Understanding that ecology is imperative if you are going to draw any conclusions about CO2 and it's affect on climate.

It's a single gas that can affect climate but it's only one link in a very long chain.

Old 12-09-2014, 10:23 AM

554 posts, read 1,060,927 times
refining oil into a gallon of gasoline requires about 6-8kwh of electricity.

How often is this taken into account when arguments come about about evs running off fossil fuels?

Old 12-09-2014, 01:55 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,952,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veloman777 View Post

How often is this taken into account when arguments come about about evs running off fossil fuels?
Now you've done it.

You see, in the blue sky world, EVs aren't charged from sources using fossil fuels (although they are), they are charged only by solar.

Lets add something in here because it is related to EV use of electricity. The last few nights in the SF Bay Area, the most used freeways were shut down because of protests. Ok, those things happen. Some of the freeways were shut down for hours on end. An inconvenience for sure. The cars that ran near empty take the next exit when they can and refuel. What does the EV driver who starts to run out of battery stored power do? The lights still need to be run, perhaps the heater too, maybe some accessories. There aren't enough EVs on the road yet for this to play out but it will happen.

Even a car that runs out of fuel can quickly get back into operation from a single gallon of gasoline brought to the vehicles location, it happens all the time when people run out. Just how does that work for the EV?

Now compare that to the E-Bike as brought in another thread (very relevant), it can be powered via peddles in most cases.

Now, we could say that an emergency truck could come by with a fast charger and give the EV a boost but that isn't going to be a simple fill from a can and off you go. Then, that boost isn't going to get you very far in any case. The regular car? Next station, fill up and go for hundreds of miles. In a few minutes.

Yes, we know, in the year 2100 there will be fast charge stations everywhere.

Old 12-09-2014, 03:06 PM

208 posts, read 330,874 times
Quote:
Yes, we know, in the year 2100 there will be fast charge stations everywhere.
Which btw will also be powered by pedals, cause the subsidizes will have long ago dwindled away!

Old 12-09-2014, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veloman777 View Post

Not so fast because you would have to apply the equivalent energy losses to EV's.

That 6kWh is based on the energy loss during the refining process e.g. you have lost about 20K BTU's of energy per gallon refining which is equivalent to about 6kWh.

In this case the "refinery" for electric is the power plant and power plants are far less efficient than refineries.

Nice try but back to the drawing board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living