Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 07:57 PM

2,491 posts, read 2,679,129 times

Advertisements

I'm a big believer in using the right tool for the job.

If you only want to own one vehicle and a couple times per month you do a long road trip,
a fossil fuel hybrid probably meets your needs best.

If you only drive locally or have 2 vehicles and one is just local use an EV can easily be the best choice.
Especially true if you can do PV on your house.

A taxi is probably not a good choice for an EV because no taxi driver wants to worry about having enough range to get a fare to the airport. I would be really surprised if there are many taxis that put on less than 100 miles per day. But because taxis often spend most of their time in congested areas, CNG is a good choice with a central fueling station and enough range for all day shifts. At some point EVs will be perfect for taxis when they push range beyond 200+ miles.

Many fleet uses would be perfect for EVs. Most mail delivery, building inspectors, code enforcers, meter readers would not exceed 100 miles in a day and the vehicles sit in a given location for 15+/- hours every night, so fast charging is not an issue. A real missed opportunity was not tying the auto bailouts to production of an workable EV for fleet uses. The reduction in maintenance costs alone would save millions for a fleet operator.

Bottom line is that right now there is no perfect vehicle or fuel for every use. Multiple fuel systems give more resilence to our transportation system. I personally don't think there is much future in hydrogen fuel cells, but working on the R&D development of the technology does give us more options.

Although I think CNG is a good fleet alternative, that will change as EV range is extended. I also have an issue with using NG for transportation when it is the most common fuel for home heating and DHW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2014, 10:49 AM

4,582 posts, read 3,406,988 times
I wish our state did not make it so hard to go off grid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living