Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 06:21 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,740,089 times

Advertisements

The U.S. throws away around 30 million tons of food every year

Food waste is one of the biggest environmental problems that we can actually help fight on a daily basis. We throw away around 30 million tons of food away every year (which is pretty despicable considering how many people don’t have enough to eat). When food is thrown into a landfill and begins to decompose, it becomes a major producer of methane– a greenhouse gas that is 21 times more harmful to global warming than carbon dioxide. In fact, landfills produce over 20 percent of all methane emissions in the U.S.

Vancouver’s brilliant answer to food waste - Salon.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 06:32 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,559,849 times
What's the brilliant answer? Throw it in a green bin? Then what happens?

Old 01-16-2015, 07:19 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,118,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
You get fruit flies infesting your house. Which is why we throw ours out with the rest of the trash.

Old 01-16-2015, 08:30 PM

7,279 posts, read 10,998,035 times
A far bigger problem is phosphorus and nitrogen pollution, not methane, not CO.

The short sighted focus on renewable energy puts the larger problems on the back burner. What good is all the energy when it is the use of the energy that causes the biggest problems in the first place? In a society where everything is disposable, even recycling isn't anything but a short term answer. A recycled product uses far more resources than one made to last.

We created economies dependent upon people buying and buying and so companies produce less durable goods. A new phone every year, sometimes twice a year. Just for starters.

Old 01-16-2015, 09:23 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,559,849 times
I hear you on the fruit flies.. I could see composting where possible, but not storing in a container to be picked up later.

I won't feel bad about replacing my iPhone 4 now, Mack Knife....

Phones are only the tip, vehicles are for the most part now disposable. It is extremely cost prohibitive to fix them out of warranty and after 7 years the manufacturer doesn't have to make replacement parts for them.

As are appliances. (Refrigerator, Washer, Dryer, etc...) It used to be an appliance was a purchase for life. Not its a purchase for hopefully 5-10 years.

Old 01-17-2015, 07:31 PM

7,279 posts, read 10,998,035 times
Yup, the first time a car over 5-7 years old has even a minor electrical problem it starts to become easier to just get a new one, the expense adds up quick.

Obsolescence is built in to so many things. I get it, advancements in technology relegate what was great a few months ago to near worthless today but all that is driving a huge amount of industry and with that a lot of pollution.

On the phones thing, just imagine the amount of money that would flow into the economy if those things lasted more than a year and the monthly service charges went away too. All that money isn't going to provide all that many jobs.

Who knows what the answer is. .

Old 01-17-2015, 09:10 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,805,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
Fruit flies, as mentioned. Much worse crawling and flying things when it gets warmer....

So it goes in "green bins". Then what?

Is leftover meat supposed to go in the "green bin"? Pasta? Cat food? Pre-digested cat food? What about dog droppings (aka pre-digested dog food)?

What's to stop people from double and triple wrapping food waste in multiple layers of plastic and hiding it in the regular garbage?

Old 01-18-2015, 09:34 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,239,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
You get fruit flies infesting your house. Which is why we throw ours out with the rest of the trash.
We have a little container with a lid that sits next to the sink, haven't had much trouble with the fruit flies. It's like a cookie jar but has a real good seal. Usually gets taken to the compost every other day....

Old 01-21-2015, 08:10 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,680,125 times
I live in a condo building and it's working very well. We have paper compostable bags. We put the food waste into a plastic bag and when needed I take both bags down to our garbage room, empty the contents of the plastic bag into the paper one, and throw it in the green bin.

Several grocery stores have been doing this for years. All the waste is sent to a composting facility that turns it into a soil product for gardens etc.

Prepare food scraps and yard waste for collection | City of Vancouver

It just becomes you new normal. When recycling first began years ago, I was impressed my elderly grandmother adapted quickly to it saying it just made sense. So if she can, I can, since yes, this makes sense.

Old 01-21-2015, 08:52 PM

36,753 posts, read 14,907,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
Fruit flies, as mentioned. Much worse crawling and flying things when it gets warmer....

So it goes in "green bins". Then what?

Is leftover meat supposed to go in the "green bin"? Pasta? Cat food? Pre-digested cat food? What about dog droppings (aka pre-digested dog food)?

What's to stop people from double and triple wrapping food waste in multiple layers of plastic and hiding it in the regular garbage?

Ugh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living