Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 10:49 AM

4,366 posts, read 4,580,574 times

Advertisements

I'm a recent college graduate who wants to pursue green living at one point in my life, preferably while I'm young and able to really enjoy it, but I don't know where to find affordable land with zero restrictions where I could live without hooking up any utilities if I wanted to do so. Where could I possibly find such land for a price I could afford?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2015, 11:35 AM

2,993 posts, read 4,305,335 times
There is "cheap" unrestricted land out there... However you pay for it by long distances from any employment, little to no services, sometimes impassable roads, etc etc. Google things like counties with no building codes... There are a few in Colorado, a few in Nevada, Montana, Maine? then there is always Alaska...However most of these require septic inspections, plumbing and electric. $$$$

Not everyone can handle living that remotely , maybe for a month or two, but you'll eventually run out of $, need a job, get sick of hauling water long distances across the desert, want social interaction, etc.... It takes a special breed. You will be paying full price for this cheap land in the end trying to develop it and wear and tear on your vehicle. Better bring lots of $$$. I am not trying to talk you out of your dream, but to be done successfully you need to know what you are getting into. It is a full time lifestyle that takes years to get right. If it were easy, everyone would be doing it. There are plenty of sacrifices one must make to succeed. Maybe try traveling around first to see what area fits best for you. You can't go off the grid for just the purchase price of the land... You need plenty of $ to get started. Good luck.

Here are some things you need to think about.
-The price of land at least $10000 and that won't be that high of quality of land, it will most likely be very remote, hard to access, no water, etc... Think more like 20-50k for anything that isn't sagebrush in the desert...you could owner finance but you'll need income to make the payment
-solar set up, at least $300 and that is for a basic system that may run a few led lights and charge your phone, laptop etc. More like 2k+ for a real system.
-generator $400+
-well or 4x4 truck with a water holding tank in bed
-septic 3-5k
- the house itself, building materials add up quick.
-tools to build the house
-unexpected expenses easily doubling the above total.

Last edited by 6.7traveler; 01-24-2015 at 11:53 AM..

Old 01-24-2015, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
There is "cheap" unrestricted land out there... However you pay for it by long distances from any employment, little to no services, sometimes impassable roads, etc etc. Google things like counties with no building codes... There are a few in Colorado, a few in Nevada, Montana, Maine? then there is always Alaska...However most of these require septic inspections, plumbing and electric. $$$$

Not everyone can handle living that remotely , maybe for a month or two, but you'll eventually run out of $, need a job, get sick of hauling water long distances across the desert, want social interaction, etc.... It takes a special breed. You will be paying full price for this cheap land in the end trying to develop it and wear and tear on your vehicle. Better bring lots of $$$. I am not trying to talk you out of your dream, but to be done successfully you need to know what you are getting into. It is a full time lifestyle that takes years to get right. If it were easy, everyone would be doing it. There are plenty of sacrifices one must make to succeed. Maybe try traveling around first to see what area fits best for you. You can't go off the grid for just the purchase price of the land... You need plenty of $ to get started. Good luck.
You say that, but what's the difference between living off grid and long-term camping, really? They lived okay without indoor plumbing, running water, electricity, or any of the modern "essentials" for centuries. I want truly unrestricted land, no requirements for septic, water, or electric, rules that allow me to do almost anything I want. I want to set something up for very little cost. I know it would take some sacrifice at first, but later hopefully it would pay off well. My biggest expense would probably be a way to collect water; that's an essential. Almost everything else would be extra; even heating and cooling could be done naturally.

Old 01-24-2015, 12:36 PM

There isn't a whole lot of difference as you are basically long term camping at first....
I have several off grid properties and currently live "off grid" in Alaska. I am not trying to discourage you just giving you some things to think about so you didn't think it was all sunshine and roses and letting you know you'll at least need some start up $, unless you plan on living in a tent on BLM land or something.

Anyways, if you want TRULY unrestricted land, no septic inspections or building inspections or anything you can try Alaska. It's currently 25 degrees below zero at my dry cabin right now supposed to drop down to -40 tomorrow. The cold and isolation is what keeps the building inspectors at bay. I have an outhouse and have to haul my water. Heating can be done "naturally" but you'll want a woodstove, a chainsaw, gas for the chainsaw etc. You will also won't be on the internet unless you have a generator or solar or wind or use the library. There is land to be had up here for 10k, but the trees will be too small to build a cabin and it will be HARD to access. Of course if you need to be in a commutable distance to a job the land will be more expensive and usually have more restrictions.
I am all for people following their dreams, do some research and head on up, you'll want to get started right now so your firewood will be somewhat dry and burnable by next winter. There is no room for amateur mistakes on remote land up here though and it's definitely not for everyone. A simple mistake can quickly turn into a life or death situation. Bad things can happen very quick in those temps. And again bring $ as staying warm and fed and alive everyday cost plenty of $ and everything is very expensive. Again, not trying to discourage you, I made plenty of mistakes in my quest to go off grid and still haven't fully succeeded, 5 years later. I probably won't be all the way set up for another 5 years either. It's a long term investment, and much harder and more complicated than camping out on some land. Give it a go, just know what you're getting into. The rub is you don't know what you're getting into, until you're already into it good luck.

Old 01-24-2015, 01:20 PM

Hmm...if I move to Alaska, maybe I should take a survival class from the local Native Americans on ice fishing and igloo building first?

Okay, that's a little too rugged for my taste. I was thinking about warmer climates in places like Texas, and a lot of work can be taken out of building a shelter by already having an RV or something ready to move in to. As for electricity for web access, I could probably charge my laptop, tablet, phone, etc., on an adaptor in my truck. I could probably access the net on a mobile plan and save heavy data usage for trips to town.

I agree, it would be difficult to live in a remote area and commute to work, but it would also be nice to be able to work when you want because the bulk of your expenses is permanently taken care of. It would be nice to have a place you could retreat and be relatively safe and happy because you don't have to worry about a mortgage or high utility bills.

Old 01-24-2015, 01:31 PM

I don't know a lot about Texas but I have heard there are no building codes in parts of western Texas. New Mexico has a large alternative building crowd. The state of New Mexico has adoted the IBC state wide but I hear it may be less enforced in remote areas , unless say a neighbor turns you in. There are counties in colorado that aren't too isolated that have no building codes, but will require state plumbing electric and septic inspections. Then there is the crazy Colorado water laws. They actually "own" every drop of water that falls from the sky in Colorado so catching rainwater is illegal. Look into delta county, co and crestone colorado in saguache county. Montana outside of city limits has only septic inspections. Also google "earthships pockets of freedom". You could also try Eureka county, Nevada no building codes there. Some people say Maine, but I am unfamiliar with that...
Or get yourself an old school bus and put solar panels on it and a deck on top . I have thought about doing that. Or a truck and a tiny home? Or buy any land, put up a crappy old mobile home, than build alternative "out buildings". You'll find a way if you stay committed to the idea.

Old 01-25-2015, 10:34 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
Such land is readily available not far from here, in Wyoming.
There is no water, no power, no phone, no cell service, marginal (if any) television signals, and it is many miles to the nearest town. There may or may not be access to the land, and an access easement across somebody else's land may or may not be available; you might need a helicopter to get to your 20 acres!
A water well may be several hundred feet deep, IF you find any water at all. A cistern may be the only option.
I know a man who has about 15 acres near Roundup, Montana, who is doing just what you describe. He has a nice little well insulated cabin on his land, that is powered by solar cells, a battery bank, and inverters. Heat is via a wood stove, and he cuts his own firewood from the trees on his land. His water is from a swimming pool that collects rain water. In the winter he buy jugs of water from the store. His waste water goes into a septic system. At the present time, it is just a weekend retreat. When he retires, he plans to live there full time, and sell his house in town.
So, yes, it CAN be done, and HAS been done.
Good luck.

EDIT: I see you want internet service. In that case, forget the Wyoming land. Unless you can afford a satellite phone, there is no such service available. In fact, much of the West is like that. If you are not in or near a town, or along a freeway corridor, forget the cell phone. If it works at all, it will be very spotty. you can move five feet in any direction and lose the signal. No matter what the service providers say, the cell coverage is NOT nationwide, everywhere!
As for recharging, solar panels/battery bank/inverters will do the job nicely IF the system is properly sized. A wind charger would help, too.

Old 01-25-2015, 02:08 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,993,664 times
You don't need a job?

Old 01-25-2015, 03:13 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
I'm a recent college graduate who wants to pursue green living at one point in my life, preferably while I'm young and able to really enjoy it, but I don't know where to find affordable land with zero restrictions where I could live without hooking up any utilities if I wanted to do so. Where could I possibly find such land for a price I could afford?
My wife and I searched for 20 years to find the right place for us to homestead.

If you like desert living [some people do] then go far out into the desert.

Personally I dislike drought. I grew-up farming, droughts are bad for farmers. So I needed a place that is not drought-prone.

Old 01-25-2015, 03:52 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,756,246 times
What would you do for money for food, gas for your truck, replacing electronics (you mentioned a laptop and cell phone), insurance on your truck, maintenance and repairs to the truck, etc... ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living