Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 05:48 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,371,776 times

Advertisements

I think it's wonderful that he was able to do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2015, 10:21 PM

58 posts, read 32,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
I think it's admirable that someone was resourceful enough to build a shelter for themselves so cheaply. I would love a little house in the woods, but would probably prefer something like this:

Romantic tiny forest home built in 6 weeks for $4,000 : TreeHugger
You just have expensive taste lol!

Old 04-14-2015, 07:12 AM

18,554 posts, read 15,645,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
As we've seen with glamper microhomes and high-end, luxurious tiny homes (that come with their own high-end price tag), smaller spaces aren't always as affordable as one may think. However, using salvaged materials and gifted items will keep costs down, as Pacific Northwest resident Scott Brooks did with his tiny home, which he built for "well below" USD $500.

Man builds low-cost tiny home with recycled materials for $500 : TreeHugger
This does not factor in the value of the time spent on the project. For many of us, such a project would practically require quitting work to find the time, and thus be far more costly than $500!

Old 04-14-2015, 07:21 AM

18,554 posts, read 15,645,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Cost is cheap, with this hermit house I guess he'll never invite a woman/man to spend the night...

No plumbing, no refrigerator, and he uses a nearby outdoor shower and outhouse, what a wonderful outlook in the winter.
Oh this just makes it even worse. No refridgerator means that dealing with food will inevitably take more time, money, or both. And no bathroom? So you can't shower if there are 2 feet of snow on the ground? And how do you dry off and get dressed before you freeze your **** off in the winter?

For fair-skinned folks, even 15 minutes of sun exposure can mean getting burned. So summer is a problem.

Where does this leave you? Can shower in spring and fall only?

Old 04-14-2015, 07:27 AM

35,168 posts, read 31,475,700 times
This looks like an adult sized treehouse.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:54 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,144,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
This does not factor in the value of the time spent on the project. For many of us, such a project would practically require quitting work to find the time, and thus be far more costly than $500!
How much of your time does it take each month to pay the rent/mortgage?
(pretax)
-and no, 2 hours/ day and a few Saturdays, particularly if friends helped....

I don't know why dude doesn't have a fridge, he's connected to the grid, so there's no reason other than space he couldn't....

I'm amused this practical/junk free mode of living is taking so much flack on the "green living" forum.

Old 04-17-2015, 08:05 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,931,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by signalfire View Post
I find the latent animosity to this type of housing interesting. Just think of the scads of money he's saving by NOT having a mortgage, utility bills, and credit card bills for stuff no one needs but the ever-present commercials convince us we need? And in lieu of a 'regular' job, he has time. Time for everything he wants to do and nothing he doesn't.

And after looking at his blog for a little while, if I was 30 years younger..... whoa, good looking healthy real MAN there, not a cubicle farm or office stuffed suit wannabe.
It isn't animosity, it is just stating that he really didn't accomplish anything. Lets say the value of gifted materials is $2000. Then the real cost is 5 times what is eluded to. I have built better playhouses and Forts as a kid, with no money using all recycled materials. This is in very temperate climate so no efficiency is built in. Really, just about anyone could do as well or better, so as I said "Big Deal".

Old 04-22-2015, 02:00 AM

9 posts, read 12,650 times
Cost is cheap, with this hermit house, Itˇs really a cool and useful piece of information. Iˇm happy that you shared this useful information with us.

Old 04-22-2015, 02:36 AM

5,411 posts, read 3,623,698 times
looks good to me.

Old 04-22-2015, 07:02 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,226,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Things not mentioned:

The cost of the land.
The amount of "gifted" items.

I could build a 5000 sqft home with gifted materials and $500 of my own money.

That isn't a house, it is an outhouse with a bed in it.
Actually, it's not, because his outhouse is another building. So, it's just a shack with a bed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living