Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 11:36 PM

17,614 posts, read 17,649,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Your 'small mobile home' is currently costing you $1440/year.

I would hate to see how much you would spend on a large home.

That may be the case, in some limited areas. Possibly in your limited area. I have no idea. It is most certainly NOT the case every where.

"Energy efficient" is a part of the title of this thread.

Focusing on non- efficient homes, is outside of the topic.
That's $120 during an August heatwave in south Louisiana. Winter electric bill sometimes gets as low as $50. Our neighbors with larger homes than us average between $200 to $300 last electric bill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2015, 07:10 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,835,513 times
There are many ways to make a home more energy efficient.
I live in Florida, similar to the OP's climate. Air-conditioning is as necessary in my climate as heating is for a cooler climate.
I grew up in Florida without A/C at home or school (60's) and can say that my brain did not function well until I moved north. I didn't know what clear thinking was until then.

First, go look at some homes built by settlers (not plantation homes, just regular farmers homes). Their designs made the best use of the climate, including broad overhangs for shade and siting the way the home faced to minimize heat and maximize breezes. I have a neighbor at the end of my street (SW Florida) that hasn't used A/C in 20 years because his home is on the end of the block facing a creek with breezes he says blows papers off all tables. Do NOT have many windows on the west side, the hottest sun of the day. Plant trees ASAP on that side and put your heat pump in shade so it works less hard to cool itself.

Never enclose a porch with glass, you are just creating a greenhouse full of hot air. Let northerners do this, they need heat.

Second, talk to an architect who specializes in energy efficient and solar construction (even if you don't plan to use solar). Using a clerestory (I think that's the word) can pull hot air up out of the home. Pick their brain for little cost. Have them review your plans and make suggestions. It's worth the money and can save thousands.

We've bought, lived in and sold several homes and finding a home that the front faces north and the living areas (back) faces south is the only home we will buy, plus few windows on the west side (or has trees to shade that side).

I found a great book in the library called "Classic cracker : Florida's wood-frame vernacular architecture" author Haase.
Has floor plans of pioneer homes. Believe me people without A/C built homes to maximize coolness from southern heat which lasts 9 months. Names of styles include "dogtrot" and "shotgun" and they are as viable to build today as then. McMansions are built to impress the neighbors, pioneer homes were built for what works for the environment.

Good luck.

Old 09-05-2015, 06:25 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,371,362 times
As someone who in the past 5-6 years have done a lot of replacements of Hot Water heaters (Gas) and Furnace 97% Efficient (Electric)..then went further and house tested for poor sealing of windows, doors, ceiling, roof...Got insulation upgrades, sealed window frames, door frames, outlet leaks, then of course prior to that..All windows, front door and rear sliding door replaced ...

But more importantly..One needs to be aware of wasted useage of any energy..Leave lights on, doors open, window shades left open to allow sunlight to heat things up etc...Use of Fans, Ceiling Fans versus use of AC create cross ventilations if air is moving well..and so on!!

Summer..Window Coverages that block Ambient/Radiant heat transfer ( reverse in the Winter Colder temps..

Personally I do not set thermostat automatic..but manually..especially Summertime..It's not the heat..but the "Humidity" that causes so much discomfort for our bodies to tolerate..( human bodies are 53-65% water depending on age/fatty tissues etc) so high humid conditions does affect how one "Feels it"..

Winter~~ Turn your thermostat down a notch or too.. After decades..I actually turn things down to 65F with no problems and of course visitors may mention something..I offer them a blanket or sweater..because believe me the breathing is far more comfortable..less stuffiness, less "Winter Colds and other ailments" not to mention Sleep benefits...But I digress..

Cost saving is HUGE..My hydro averaged about 55/month annually and my Gas averages 110.00 ( due to rental of HW Heater and Furnace) actual cost of gas ranges 6.00-25.00 depending on season...So it's a win win for myself!!

So I guess, what I am saying is Yep..try to use Energy efficient appliances, but more importantly lear to conserve energy..turing off lights, or things NOT being used..closing that entrance door behind you when entering..make sure your windows and doors are properly sealed to prevent leakage of warm air out/Cold in the winter or Hot air out and Cooled air in during Hot Steamy weather...Sure will assist that bottom line!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living