Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 10:48 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,527,280 times

Advertisements

It means living like Cousin Eddie in Vegas Vacation.
Attached Thumbnails
What is the fascination with living “off the grid?"-4a5ae4ce997d11e090e912313b10052d_small.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2015, 10:49 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,467,051 times
Sounds like living in the witness protection program

Old 12-02-2015, 10:59 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,989,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
but when we live a healthy balanced life, then the heart attack does not occur.
that is even better
90% of heart problems are genetic. Lifestyle may affect how quickly problems develop, but if you have bad genes, it is only a matter of time.

Old 12-02-2015, 11:28 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,266,208 times
There is definitely satisfaction to be self-sustaining but it is not cheap. Almost all the stories I read here and elsewhere, people are talking about rural living on acres and acres of land. Also, electricity is a small portion of our daily needs. My monthly utility bill averages to about $200 a month. We spent several times that just eating out. As for the stigma someone talked about, it is already seeping into the media. Last night I was watching a show on TV and how they were portraying a self-sutaining character was not very complimentary.

Old 12-02-2015, 11:33 AM

22,161 posts, read 19,210,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
90% of heart problems are genetic. Lifestyle may affect how quickly problems develop, but if you have bad genes, it is only a matter of time.
that is incorrect
and it is also unhealthy to hold this belief
because you are creating disease for yourself, literally and physically

Old 12-02-2015, 11:35 AM

37,461 posts, read 61,373,044 times
I see two different usages being used.

1- to live in a manner that nobody in the government can find you; no income tax filing, no known address, no bank account, no utility bill in your name, etc, ...

2- to live without a connection to the utilities grid; no electrical power connection, no municipal water or sewer connection.

I know people who are living lifestyles within each of these two usages.

Old 12-02-2015, 11:36 AM

22,161 posts, read 19,210,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
You missed my whole point. Major medical emergencies require professional intervention. You're not going to get that "off the grid." Major illnesses, infections, and disorders can occur regardless. You're only invincible until you aren't.
you're only a victim
until you stop thinking like one

you're only sick
until you live in ways that are healthy

it's not about being invincible. it's about taking responsibility for our health and well being.
health is attainable. health is our natural state.

Old 12-02-2015, 11:44 AM

37,461 posts, read 61,373,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
There is definitely satisfaction to be self-sustaining but it is not cheap. Almost all the stories I read here and elsewhere, people are talking about rural living on acres and acres of land. Also, electricity is a small portion of our daily needs. My monthly utility bill averages to about $200 a month. We spent several times that just eating out. As for the stigma someone talked about, it is already seeping into the media. Last night I was watching a show on TV and how they were portraying a self-sutaining character was not very complimentary.
"... but it is not cheap ..." Why do you think that?

You said that for you electricity is a small portion of your daily needs [about $200 a month]. I do not disagree.

You said that you spend several times that just eating out. Again I do not disagree.

Neither of these things have any bearing on what other people spend.

I do our grocery shopping twice a month. Yesterday was my day to do it, because I get a senior discount on that Tuesdays. My shopping list was: pasta and cheddar cheese. It had been two weeks since my previous shopping trip, and it will likely be another two weeks before I go shopping again.

How much you spend on eating has no bearing on how much I spend to feed my family.

I have never had a $200/month electric bill. We have never used that much electricity.

I do own 'acres and acres of land', taxes on my land are $1.05 per acre. Owning lots of land does not mean that you spend a lot on taxes. Your monthly electric bill is equal to nearly 200 acres of land for a year.

I live in New England which is known for being an expensive place to live.

Old 12-02-2015, 12:52 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,529,645 times
We like the idea of not being hooked into paying water, electric every month. Not have to over pay for what small services they pretend to give you. Telling me I have to put a deposit on said services, the money you save not paying these cooks. It could be saved for retirement, trips, etc. Freedom from them sounds nice. If the power goes out due to a storm or whatever I won't have to worry about it. It's not easy & it's not for everyone it's hard you have to keep up on everything yourself for the most part.

I believe that the downside is has you get older you wouldn't be able to take of things so easy I know my wife talked about wanting to be completely off the grid at the same time I don't want to have to chop wood, etc or pay someone else to do it for me. So I have mixed emotions about it.

Old 12-02-2015, 01:35 PM

18,491 posts, read 9,155,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
you're only a victim
until you stop thinking like one

you're only sick
until you live in ways that are healthy

it's not about being invincible. it's about taking responsibility for our health and well being.
health is attainable. health is our natural state.
And making sure there are no microorganisms in your area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living