Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 08:45 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,544,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
LOL That is funny. You learned accounting from May Kay. Good luck in Canada, eh.

We may do best to not mock that, my friend.

MK is a sometimes client in Dallas. They are Making Bank. While wearing Pink Hard Hats.

Meanwhile . . . much of our Generation Industry is at or near Bankruptcy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2016, 12:47 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,989,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
We may do best to not mock that, my friend.

MK is a sometimes client in Dallas. They are Making Bank. While wearing Pink Hard Hats.

Meanwhile . . . much of our Generation Industry is at or near Bankruptcy.
That just proves H L Mencken correct “Nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public."

And here I paid good money to attend graduate school and take those accounting course. I could have sold cosmetics instead.

Old 01-17-2016, 01:01 PM

1,950 posts, read 1,128,818 times
Quote:
That just proves H L Mencken correct “Nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public."

And here I paid good money to attend graduate school and take those accounting course. I could have sold cosmetics instead.
It's no surprise that Mary Kay is used as case studies in MBA programs around the world.

Old 01-17-2016, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hospitality View Post
It's no surprise that Mary Kay is used as case studies in MBA programs around the world.
Case studies are more frequently about things done wrong than right, but the question was about Mary Kay teaching that revenue wasn't reportable unless there were cash profits. I doubt even Mary Kay is that dumb.

Old 01-17-2016, 07:02 PM

4 posts, read 3,072 times
When there is an economic collapse (e.g. due to disaster), then barter will be the main form of trade. In that scenario, certain items may have universal value such as guns, fuel, food/water ... until then uncle sam keeps barter minimal.

I've read that prostitutes can get doctor's services, attorney's extra efforts etc in exchange of sex favor. However, prostitution itself falls under "shadow economy" (which's said to be big and untaxed) category, it wouldn't be known to the IRS anyway.

Anything in "shadow economy" may generate barter in a tax-free environment. Drug dealers may pay drugs instead of cash for goods and services.

Old 01-19-2016, 07:18 AM

1,400 posts, read 765,598 times
Regarding bartering, I cannot resist the set-up. It's called dating )

Old 02-07-2016, 01:23 AM

8,299 posts, read 3,810,288 times
Quote:
Case studies are more frequently about things done wrong than right, but the question was about Mary Kay teaching that revenue wasn't reportable unless there were cash profits. I doubt even Mary Kay is that dumb.
Did you even read the case study? It was about what they did right and how they successfully expanded in a global market. Nice try though.

Old 02-09-2016, 07:11 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,349,093 times
Texas shares a strong cultural connection to Mexico and, if you go into Mexico, even at Juarez or Tijuana, you had better know how to barter. People in Texas have always bartered for things.

Old 02-12-2016, 02:34 PM

37 posts, read 61,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Trading goods is a crime? I think not, maybe to those idiots who are upset that they aren't making money off of it.
^This. DCForever you are way off base. It is in no way illegal to provide services in exchange for other services; at least not in the way that OP is talking about.

Old 02-12-2016, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Kay View Post
^This. DCForever you are way off base. It is in no way illegal to provide services in exchange for other services; at least not in the way that OP is talking about.
It certainly isn't illegal, it does create taxable income in most cases. The IRS isn't going to look at penny anty stuff but they have and do go after barter businesses for unreported income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living