Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 01:33 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times

Advertisements

I dunno, seems to me those water stealing folks have enough trouble without anyone else causing more for them. Just put a lock on your water and leave them alone. Any damage to floors, appliances, etc., is between them and their landlord and is not your area of responsibility. They can flush a toilet by filling up the tank so they've probably got sanitary facilities. Since they can't pay their water bill, their life isn't in a happy place so getting them into trouble with the Board of Health or their landlord isn't going to improve it any.

Another easy way to keep water from being used is to remove the faucet handle. It's just held on with a screw usually. Remove the screw, pull the handle and it comes off. When you want to use the water, push the handle back over the valve stem. Although, the neighbors would be able to take a handle off a different faucet and then use that on yours, but that would take at least a tiny bit of pre-planning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2016, 06:30 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,989,918 times
Put up a motion sensitive security light.

Old 03-08-2016, 06:48 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,537,039 times
If you know someone who hunts that might have one of those "deer cams" people are setting up around their homes to catch people in the act and put it somewhere that the "water people" can't see it but it can see the, then turn the video in to the police

Old 03-08-2016, 08:15 AM

563 posts, read 1,787,278 times
How about contacting the thieves, tell them they were observed seen stealing water, if they come into your property again you will call the cops. That serves notification, and I bet they wont touch your property again.

Old 03-10-2016, 01:38 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Toilets can be flushed by pouring a bucket quickly into the bowl, but most likely they would leave the cover off and pour the water into the tank to flush. people on wells often keep a few gallons in the bathroom in case of a power outage.

Here in Seattle, the owner is ultimately responsible for the utility bills, and the city can put a lean on the property for unpaid bills, whether in the tenant's name or the owner's. As a commercial landlord, I get a letter from the city when a tenant's utility bill is late. If that's not the way your city does it, I would definitely recommend contacting the landlord.
people living without water and that would steal from neighbors are probably not what the landlord is looking for.

Old 03-10-2016, 02:16 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,424,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patches403 View Post
I think the faucet locks should be enough to discourage them from stealing your water; seems like your neighbors don't actually want anyone to know they're stealing water so they shouldn't be willing to actually break a lock to steal water. If I were you, I would also talk to other neighbors you know within a couple block radius and warn them to also get faucet locks as well.

The bigger concern with me is if they're living in a house with no running water; then where are they dumping all their waste water and where are they dumping their human waste? If I were you I would see if you can make an anonymous complaint to the health department and get them to come out and inspect the house. Depending on where your neighbors are dumping their waste, you could have a big problem in the making for you and your other neighbors.
Toilets work on gravity, as long as they are taking the buckets of water and dumping them in the top sump the toilet will flush just fine.

Old 03-10-2016, 02:20 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,032,965 times
These people live across the street. Do you think they're going to run a 200' hose across the street just to get at some of your water?

Old 03-10-2016, 02:26 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,424,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWGuy View Post
How about contacting the thieves, tell them they were observed seen stealing water, if they come into your property again you will call the cops. That serves notification, and I bet they wont touch your property again.
Sometimes confronting people in already desperate situations can bring up LOADS of drama or worse. We have a family across the street whos daughter is a piece of work. She has boys over all the time and one knocked her up. One night she was in the street as usual fighting with a boy at 1AM so I walked out there with a maglite when I saw him push her. The boy ran off then came back and banged on my front door and cussed me out. I called the cops on him and he was arrested for prior outstanding warrants. Now I have this kid who knows I caused him to get put in the slammer out there somewhere......

Old 03-14-2016, 02:16 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,862,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
There are some neighbors on our street that have been seen stealing water from two other neighbors across from me. I have not seen them stealing from me but I wonder if they are. Not sure if their water has been completely turned off or if they are just having trouble paying the bill.

One of the neighbors who they were stealing from bought caps for two of the outdoor faucets on his house ( he has 3 ) but they are on very tightly and need a pliers to be taken off to use the water. Now he can only use water from one place outside of his house. He says his water bill has gone down a lot since then.

That will not work for me I need to be able to use my water . I found some links to water faucet locks and wonder if anyone has ever used them before and if they will work?

FaucetLock 2, Water Faucet Lock - Lock VendorLock Vendor

How should I handle this? Should I talk to them about it ? They are nice people for the most part but I can't have them stealing water from me. There may be organizations here in the county that can help them pay their water bill. I feel bad for them but if they keep doing this they may end up getting arrested. I do not want that to happen.
How should you handle it? It's theft! Also, trespassing. Why wouldn't you call the police? Do you have outdoor cameras? If not, put one in, so that you have proof.

Old 03-14-2016, 02:24 PM

50,262 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWGuy View Post
I'd rather catch it on film and hand off to the City. Otherwise, you've just passed these "nice" people onto someone else and it becomes their problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living