Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 07:58 PM

1,098 posts, read 912,775 times

Advertisements

There's no such thing as renewable energy. At the end of the day energy cannot be created or destroyed, only borrowed. It's not free. I don't believe that wind or solar is really the answer for 7+Billion people. We're overpopulated. Period. If our population was much lower I think we'd have a shot with SUSTAINABLE (not renewable) energy.

"Wind and wave farms could affect Earth’s energy balance"
https://www.newscientist.com/article...nergy-balance/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2017, 08:35 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,448,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame22 View Post
There's no such thing as renewable energy. At the end of the day energy cannot be created or destroyed, only borrowed. It's not free. I don't believe that wind or solar is really the answer for 7+Billion people. We're overpopulated. Period. If our population was much lower I think we'd have a shot with SUSTAINABLE (not renewable) energy.

Utter nonsense. Science driven by a political agenda.

The article cited deals with wind and wave energy and is certainly not definitive about that.

And you always need to consider the long term implications of whatever you do.

But no there is no indication that we are overpopulated or about to be...not suggesting it is not something to worry about...but it is no where near a catastrophic problem at this time.

Those with preconceived views are often disappointed and try to cover by inventing science. Does not work that way.

Old 01-12-2017, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post

The article cited deals with wind and wave energy and is certainly not definitive about that.

But no there is no indication that we are overpopulated or about to be...not suggesting it is not something to worry about...but it is no where near a catastrophic problem at this time.

Those with preconceived views are often disappointed and try to cover by inventing science. Does not work that way.
If we took away genetically modified corn, soy, wheat and factory farming millions of people would go hungry (and maybe even die) in the United States.

We can survive but we're not living to our fullest and it will only get worse. I thoroughly believe we are overpopulated. I do agree that it is not catastrophic yet..but that's all I agree with. It's definitely a huge problem.

To transfer HUMONGOUS amounts of energy (wind) from the natural environment into human usage and expect there to be little to no impact on the atmosphere is utter nonsense.

Last edited by Jame22; 01-12-2017 at 09:37 PM..

Old 01-13-2017, 05:25 AM

6,848 posts, read 8,030,946 times
Quote:

So you volunteer to have you and your family removed?

BTW The Earth receives 174,000 terawatts (TW) of incoming solar radiation (insolation) at the upper atmosphere. We use 18 TW of power total. To this simple engineer, that seems like enough energy for our needs.

Old 01-13-2017, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post

BTW The Earth receives 174,000 terawatts (TW) of incoming solar radiation (insolation) at the upper atmosphere. We use 18 TW of power total. To this simple engineer, that seems like enough energy for our needs.
So you're saying we need to put solar panels in orbit? Unfortunately this problem is everything but simple. I do agree that solar power is more realistic than wind but we may be hundreds of years away from figuring it out.

Old 01-13-2017, 01:18 PM

Quote:
So you're saying we need to put solar panels in orbit? Unfortunately this problem is everything but simple. I do agree that solar power is more realistic than wind but we may be hundreds of years away from figuring it out.
The problem is exceedingly simple. Leave it to the engineers and they will make it work. Orbiting pv systems have been studied, but there's more than enough solar energy hitting the surface of the earth to power all our conceivable needs.

Now about your personal contribution to overpopulation.....

Old 01-13-2017, 01:35 PM

Quote:
The problem is exceedingly simple. Leave it to the engineers and they will make it work. Orbiting pv systems have been studied, but there's more than enough solar energy hitting the surface of the earth to power all our conceivable needs.

Now about your personal contribution to overpopulation.....
Haha yeah just let 'them' take care of it. I believe it is possible but to say it's exceedingly simple is straight up ridiculous..

As for overpopulation I never said there was a human solution. Nature will run its course.

Last edited by Jame22; 01-13-2017 at 02:07 PM..

Old 01-13-2017, 10:02 PM

15,953 posts, read 12,367,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post

Another one of these "we are not overpopulated" posters .. fact is we are totally dependent on the millions of semi trucks that travel in the US and around the world every day to keep this food on our tables... a big solar flare/EMP episode from the sun takes out our transformers and we're in a big world of hurt.. if the semis don't run people starve FAST. Imagine a solar flare takes out all the big transformers on the east coast and we can't get replacements for a couple of years...

It's funny the irrational fears people have that I've come across that have the remote chance of happening, while a change of an EMP burst from a solar flare doing serious damage is something like 1 in 200 in any given year.. statistically significant for sure.

We could supply surplus power for half the country's power needs with enough windmills set up in western south dakota.. there's literally hundreds of miles of land used for pretty much nothing except cattle grazing with lots of high elevation plateaus where wind power can be set up.. it's just a matter of economic feasibility without tax credits, which is still not there.

Old 01-14-2017, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Haha yeah just let 'them' take care of it. I believe it is possible but to say it's exceedingly simple is straight up ridiculous..

As for overpopulation I never said there was a human solution. Nature will run its course.
It seems complicated to you. As Robert Clarke told us, "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." What he failed to add is that what is magic to you may well be just day to day business for those more technically adept.

Old 01-14-2017, 09:48 AM

Quote:
It seems complicated to you. As Robert Clarke told us, "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." What he failed to add is that what is magic to you may well be just day to day business for those more technically adept.
Day to day business? We've been around for what? like 200,000 years? If it was super duper simple we would have been doing it 100,000 years ago. Who knows, we may have thousands of years before we are able to really figure it out, we may never figure it out. I think science fiction narratives in pop culture can give us a false sense of reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living