Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 02:25 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,441,091 times

Advertisements

Most farmers I know work hard and drink alot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2016, 02:35 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,973,115 times
My grandparents told me it was a lot of work so I dont think it would be relaxing in that way.

Old 09-04-2016, 02:36 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,600,707 times
So now you know - farming is not a relaxed lifestyle most times of the year.

But you don't have to give up your dream completely. Simply move to a rural area or small town and do what you do now for a living. The concept that there are no jobs in small towns is incorrect - just find one where you can find the sort of job that you can do - or are willing to do. It's easy enough to research available jobs - every American state has a state job board.

You won't have to fight traffic or crowds or deal with the other urban things that are bothering you now. Come home after an 8 hour day, put your feet up on the porch, and watch the grass grow. Very relaxing.

Old 09-04-2016, 02:57 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,994,940 times
I am a retired dairy farmer and farming is very stressful !

Most farmers have to take out loans and you are at the mercy of the weather and you can't control prices you pay nor prices you receive.

Being a small dairy farmer meant I was tied to my farm due to a 2x a day milking schedule that had to be strictly adhered to..........to maximize production.

I wouldn't trade my farming life for anything, though!
The love of taking care of the animals and growing crops was a joy that brought me close to God everyday.

Old 09-04-2016, 03:01 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,994,940 times
A successful farmer was interviewed in our local ag newspaper.

When asked about his routine at his dairy farm he said........" we milk the cows at 5:30 am and 5:30 pm. I didn't say 5:35 "

Old 09-04-2016, 05:53 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,528,085 times
Farming, relaxed? No.

Old 09-04-2016, 07:12 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,231,509 times
My brother had worked a little for a (dairy and crop) farmer during his late teens. The farmer was, at that time, probably mid-50s and liked to get away now and then, so he asked my brother if he'd like a free "acre lot" next to his farm house in exchange for helping to keep an eye on the farm and handle the milking from time-to-time. So bro bought a new mobile home and parked it there, got married, got another new mobile home or two, raised 4 girls and ended up staying there for 25 years (nice location on a hilltop a mile outside of town). His wife wanted a "real" house in town, so they finally moved the mile or so after their girls all went off to college.

It worked out well for both of them. The farmer sold his dairy herd not long after my bother moved there, but he liked the bit of extra security for his farm -- having a close neighbor; bro got free lot rent at a prime location for 25 years.

Old 09-04-2016, 07:14 PM

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is Second Home - Rustbelt is Home Base
1,607 posts, read 1,085,244 times
I've known many dairy farmers. 7 day a week job. Cows have to be milked 2x a day, every day without fail. I can't say about crops, but farming is generally not easy work.

Old 09-04-2016, 07:46 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,455,143 times
It's "laid back" in the sense that there's not the hustle and bustle of like, working in the city or something, but don't confuse "laid back" with "easy work." Farmers do work more at their own pace but there's still lots of work and animals and crop to take care of.

Old 09-04-2016, 07:56 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
A successful farmer was interviewed in our local ag newspaper.

When asked about his routine at his dairy farm he said........" we milk the cows at 5:30 am and 5:30 pm. I didn't say 5:35 "
Thus.... My FIRST retirement came at age 15, when i left Dairy Farm Boarding School no after or before school sports, no Question what you were going to be doing at 5am and 5 pm, 7x52.

'Other farming' depends on your excitability, responsibility, weather...

Animals are a 10x stress multiplier. You usually can't leave them for very long

Weather or bugs can wipe out a year's work and income in 20 minutes.

Do you like bankers? I hope so, cuz they can cause some serious stress!

How about accounting and taxes?

Consider getting a J-O-B, many farmers have to have a nightshift job anyway to fund their farming, and to get healthcare. You know you are finally making it when one of you can stay home and WORK while the other only has a PT job (school bus driver)

It is a great life, if you can handle it. You MUST be able to multi-task and respond to urgent priorities. Ripe crops don't wait! Weather happens (when harvest is due), your most important equipment WILL break when you have hired help standing around. Oh.... AND your septic or well will go down when all your guests are arriving for Holiday. And you thought you were going to have a 4 hr relaxing rest'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living