Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 05:24 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,544,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severs View Post
I think it's time for a game of spot the vegetarians. Now if you'll excuse me, its Whopper time.
Well I'm certainly not one of them even if I did post about slaughtering animals. I just cooked a wonderful pork roast on the BBQ. MMMmm! I am not about to give up my meat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2016, 05:42 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather72754 View Post
Cute, but I see what you did there. You don't have to go to a slaughter house personally to realize that farmed animals are the most abused on the planet-any thinking person can deduce that. Even if you don't care about that, how about caring about the planet itself (in spite of what TexasHorseLady states there are many unimpeachable sources that say otherwise)? Do you realize how much water is used to produce a small amount of meat? How much waste with its attendant gases is involved with just one cow or pig, never mind the number needed to feed our country's insatiable desire for meat? It might be about moderation, but we as a country are not about that at all.

I hope that you all feel like eating what YOU like to eat justifies the suffering of the animals and the waste of the planet's resources.
Well, see, here's the thing. I read the propaganda, for example, about the terrible conditions under which the animals that go into McDonald's meat are raised. (I don't eat at McDonald's, but that's a matter of preference in food.) And then I walk out my door and see, in beautiful lush pastures all around me, the steers of a cattle handling program (one of the two largest in the country) that has a contract with McDonalds. Beautiful grass, kept immaculate, fresh water from stream and/or waterer, LOTS of room (in some of the pastures the steers will be at one end and look like little tiny toy cows because they've got so much room but prefer to be in a herd), worked with horses not ATVs because it's less upsetting for them (and even from just a bottom line standpoint you want happy, healthy stock, not sick, scared, run the weight off with adrenaline stock). If I stop my car in my driveway (one of their pastures runs along our driveway), the cattle will come up to talk to me just like my own pampered from birth, given beer and backrubs and space and companionship of their own kind do - clearly they do not feel mistreated or afraid of humans.

I've known cattle ranchers who took their animals directly to the slaughterhouse, carefully chosen and advised when they are coming and that they don't want their cattle to even SEE anything upsetting because that causes adrenaline and adrenaline taints the meat and, guess what, the bottom line is less if that happens.

So I have a choice - believe what someone with an agenda who has never ever ever seen them says, or believe what my own eyes AND the cattle themselves tell me. Guess which I'm going for and why I asked if you'd ever been to a slaughter house?

I work in equine rescue, by the way, and the people who work in rescue and animal welfare (all kinds of animal welfare) spit when they hear PETA or HSUS. So if you're getting your information directly or indirectly from them or looking at one of their carefully edited videos, know that you're being snookered for their own purposes, especially donations. Not the man in the street that volunteers for them because they don't know any better, but the people at the top.

Old 10-14-2016, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Well, see, here's the thing. I read the propaganda, for example, about the terrible conditions under which the animals that go into McDonald's meat are raised. (I don't eat at McDonald's, but that's a matter of preference in food.) And then I walk out my door and see, in beautiful lush pastures all around me, the steers of a cattle handling program (one of the two largest in the country) that has a contract with McDonalds. Beautiful grass, kept immaculate, fresh water from stream and/or waterer, LOTS of room (in some of the pastures the steers will be at one end and look like little tiny toy cows because they've got so much room but prefer to be in a herd), worked with horses not ATVs because it's less upsetting for them (and even from just a bottom line standpoint you want happy, healthy stock, not sick, scared, run the weight off with adrenaline stock). If I stop my car in my driveway (one of their pastures runs along our driveway), the cattle will come up to talk to me just like my own pampered from birth, given beer and backrubs and space and companionship of their own kind do - clearly they do not feel mistreated or afraid of humans.

I've known cattle ranchers who took their animals directly to the slaughterhouse, carefully chosen and advised when they are coming and that they don't want their cattle to even SEE anything upsetting because that causes adrenaline and adrenaline taints the meat and, guess what, the bottom line is less if that happens.

So I have a choice - believe what someone with an agenda who has never ever ever seen them says, or believe what my own eyes AND the cattle themselves tell me. Guess which I'm going for and why I asked if you'd ever been to a slaughter house?

I work in equine rescue, by the way, and the people who work in rescue and animal welfare (all kinds of animal welfare) spit when they hear PETA or HSUS. So if you're getting your information directly or indirectly from them or looking at one of their carefully edited videos, know that you're being snookered for their own purposes, especially donations. Not the man in the street that volunteers for them because they don't know any better, but the people at the top.
I'm glad to hear that some ranches really CARE for their livestock. This video just blew my mind though. Maybe it is a rare thing, but sad just the same. Not a happy way to start off these lives.
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...ssay.html?_r=0

Warning... (If you scroll down, the sows on their sides feeding their piglets, unable to move, is sickening)

Old 10-14-2016, 08:24 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,769,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
I'm glad to hear that some ranches really CARE for their livestock. This video just blew my mind though. Maybe it is a rare thing, but sad just the same. Not a happy way to start off these lives.
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...ssay.html?_r=0

Warning... (If you scroll down, the sows on their sides feeding their piglets, unable to move, is sickening)
Just exactly how much do you know about sows and piglets?

Did you know that a sow on the loose will think nothing of laying down on her piglets, crushing them? Or eating other sows' piglets? Yes, pigs will eat other piglets.

Why Do Hog Farmers Use Farrowing Crates - Nurse Loves Farmer

Quote:
“First, we farrow 18 sows a week, they can farrow anywhere from 5 to 7 days apart, so imagine putting 18 sows into one big room with no pens. This is what would happen: the first 2 or 3 sows would be alright with their babies, a couple of days later the next sow would farrow, then the oldest baby pigs would steal the freshest colostrum from the newest sow farrowing. That would cause the youngest piggies to stave off, without colostrum, also the sow farrowing would start savaging the other babies! Savaging means killing any baby pigs that are not their own! Sows are very aggressive when protecting their babies when giving birth!! So to sum it up, it would be an inhumane thing to do!”

Read more Why Do Hog Farmers Use Farrowing Crates - Nurse Loves Farmer

Old 10-14-2016, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
Just exactly how much do you know about sows and piglets?

Did you know that a sow on the loose will think nothing of laying down on her piglets, crushing them? Or eating other sows' piglets? Yes, pigs will eat other piglets.

Why Do Hog Farmers Use Farrowing Crates - Nurse Loves Farmer
holy smokes! I had no idea! Learn something new every day.

Old 10-14-2016, 09:51 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,963,487 times
I'm sure your husband is getting his meat somewhere else. All it would take is a drive by a burger joint.

Old 10-14-2016, 11:58 PM

5 posts, read 6,863 times
Ok
probably something went wrong with my communication skills!
It was ironic: I was making fun of ME!!!

the "bloodthirsty beast" Were actual IRONIC words my husband used! Nerver heard about irony?

My husband actually asked me to help him eating less meat (he is very concerned about the environment issue) and I found out was more successful by stopping being so nogging

I just admitt some of my very bad and annoying attitudes (being nogging, the horrible desire to change him)...

I find too difficult for me to cook separate meals for all of us (we have no different needs actually)

ps I'm not vegetarian at all!!!

Old 10-15-2016, 06:15 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manuela guarneri View Post
Ok

the "bloodthirsty beast" Were actual IRONIC words my husband used! Nerver heard about irony?

My husband actually asked me to help him eating less meat (he is very concerned about the environment issue) and I found out was more successful by stopping being so nogging

I just admitt some of my very bad and annoying attitudes (being nogging, the horrible desire to change him)...

I find too difficult for me to cook separate meals for all of us (we have no different needs actually)

Ok, the fact hubby wants to cut down on meat wasn't clear in your post. My original advise still stands. Make a variety of tempting side dishes, and keep a serving of meat or fish to 4 oz. which is the size of a deck of cards.
You are right about not cooking separate meals. Do not do that. Like I told my family, "I'm not running a restaurant, so eat it, or be hungry."

Old 10-15-2016, 06:49 AM

1,156 posts, read 1,968,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manuela guarneri View Post
Ok

My post wasn't directed at you. When I saw this thread title I actually did come here to see if there was any advice I could use because I too fall into the boat of I eat too much meat and I know it. But then I spotted a vegetarian spouting "facts" and who tried to guilt trip people who eat meat. They know who they are, and I'm sure they will be back to try and guilt trip us once again. In the mean time I will go back to lurking this thread and snag up any good info that pops up.

Old 10-15-2016, 06:59 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
Does your husband like fish, chicken or turkey? I have cut way down on my consumption of meat. I don't care for pork and I just hate the thought of animals being slaughtered inhumanely because of my desire to eat meat. Eventually I want to stop eating chicken and turkey also. I made a Chilean Sea Bass the other night that was the best tasting fish I ever ate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living