Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 09:43 AM

13,073 posts, read 7,515,583 times

Advertisements

Substitute fats and oils for some of the meat and starches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2016, 02:00 AM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times
Genetics can play a big role in your longevity. My grandfather/grandmother had a farm in SE MN, and good portion of the year, no access to fruit, vegetables, and for decades they lived on meat (they raised pigs and chicken), dairy products, as well as their 7 children.

My grandmother made it to 102, my grandfather to 89, my Dad made it to 96, ,my mother to 86, and the idea of healthy food hardly showed up on their radar screens. As for fruit, it was usually too expensive to buy, or hardly available, and now that I've been living in Las Vegas for 20 years, with lots of cheap fruit available, I'm now eating it regularly.

Old 12-02-2016, 08:59 AM

11,129 posts, read 9,764,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
So is he off the statins now?
He has been able to reduce statins to half the former dose.

Old 12-08-2016, 03:21 PM

910 posts, read 1,083,038 times
First, the human body was not designed to be vegan. There are very serious health consequences to living this way, especially children.

Please read the following.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2528709/

From the national institute of health. This clearly explains that children must be monitored closely when on a vegetarian/vegan diet. They have to take tons of synthetic vitamin and mineral compounds to replace what is "lacking" in their diet. This is not a natural diet by any means. Humans evolved just like apes, in fact our biology is 99% similar to many species of apes. Apes eat a diet that consists of fruit, vegetables, minerals, nuts, insects, and animals. As humans, because of the gross factor, we stopped using insects for protein, and were forced to consume a larger portion of animal protein to replace it. This is where the problems started. We further exacerbated the problem by having to use cattle as the main source of protein, because they were docile, easily controlled due to not being able to jump, and had a good meat to feed ratio. Guess what, you don't have to eat beef. It isn't really good for you anyway. If you really care about the planet, you can custom order Ostrich raised in the desert where no other plants or animals live. Just search for Ostrich meat on the internet. Or, you can raise Rabbits organically in your home. They are cute as babies, and are a very high quality lean meat. You give them organic hay and water, they make lots of babies and you eat them once they are adults. There are ton's of options out there. I truly wish more people would homestead and really participate in the production of their own food.

I slaughter my own animals, there is nothing "gross" about it. When you control the process, you can use every part of the animal, further minimizing waste.

If people wish to live as a vegetarian, so be it. But don't sit there and try to convince other people that it is "natural". It is anything but.

Old 12-08-2016, 05:42 PM

176 posts, read 288,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsvibe View Post
First, the human body was not designed to be vegan. There are very serious health consequences to living this way, especially children.
Complete hyperbole. There is plenty of evidence, studies, etc done on this matter that prove vegan diets are far healthier than a typical meat based diet. Apes eat VERY small amounts of meat if any, and animal protein + hormone laden dairy is incredibly destructive to the human body.

Also here is an article from the same source you used about the health benefits of a vegan diet.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4245565/

Please do more research on the subject. Vegans eat a huge variety of foods, grains, legumes, fruit, vegetables, etc. It is extremely healthy, much more so than a diet that includes meat and dairy 95% of the time. Vegan children thrive and grow up without a lot of the issues that plague kids who eat animal products.

Old 12-08-2016, 05:51 PM

50,298 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caitlindwarf View Post
Complete hyperbole. There is plenty of evidence, studies, etc done on this matter that prove vegan diets are far healthier than a typical meat based diet. Apes eat VERY small amounts of meat if any, and animal protein + hormone laden dairy is incredibly destructive to the human body.

Also here is an article from the same source you used about the health benefits of a vegan diet.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4245565/

Please do more research on the subject. Vegans eat a huge variety of foods, grains, legumes, fruit, vegetables, etc. It is extremely healthy, much more so than a diet that includes meat and dairy 95% of the time. Vegan children thrive and grow up without a lot of the issues that plague kids who eat animal products.

Apes will not pass up free meat, ever.

Old 12-08-2016, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Apes will not pass up free meat, ever.
Your point? They are wild non human animals. We can make better decisions than gorillas and should not feel the need to base our lifestyles off them.

Also I will edit my statement in pointing out that "whole foods plant based" diets are healthier. Vegan diets are a bit too inclusive, after all many processed foods (Oreos for example) are vegan and obviously unhealthy.

Old 12-08-2016, 06:13 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
Your point? They are wild non human animals. We can make better decisions than gorillas and should not feel the need to base our lifestyles off them.

Also I will edit my statement in pointing out that "whole foods plant based" diets are healthier. Vegan diets are a bit too inclusive, after all many processed foods (Oreos for example) are vegan and obviously unhealthy.
Why pick what you want to point out as unhealthy? Vegan is vegan, it is that simple.
I personally think it is shameful that a partner *tricks to change* the other. Accept them as they are or do not be their partner.

Old 12-08-2016, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Why pick what you want to point out as unhealthy? Vegan is vegan, it is that simple.
I personally think it is shameful that a partner *tricks to change* the other. Accept them as they are or do not be their partner.
So in the same vein you can't claim a meat diet is healthy since it could consist of solely cheeseburgers and fried food. Eating meat is eating meat. See how silly that is? All diets can go either way, however a plant based one is, in most cases, more beneficial to human health and definitely the environment than one that includes meat and dairy.

Also OP stated her husband asked her specifically to help him eat less meat.

Old 12-09-2016, 10:48 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
Quote:
I know very few people who eat a "meat based" diet assuming that means a diet from which the majority of calories come from meat. Even most people who love meat eat a considerable amount of non-animal foods such as grains, vegetables, and fruits.

I am wondering what a "typical" meat diet is, and why it would be considered healthy. Virtually all healthy people consider a "healthy" diet to come from a diverse source of nutrients whether or not a type of food is excluded or not. Fruitarians and people who only eat raw chicken excluded for obvious reasons.

Quote:
So, instinctual eating by wild animals is evolutionarily suspect compared to irrational decision making by humans? A human who can rationalize breatharianism is making a better decision than a chimpanzee who advantageously captures and consumes a small forest deer?

I am all for someone who can create a healthy lifestyle through their dietary choices whether that is vegan, vegetarian, omnivorous, or whatever, and certainly reducing the amount of meat, or any other food that the production of which has serious environmental ramifications such as anything monocropped (which is the cornerstone of most vegan diets) is a good thing, but the idea that health has eluded humans for eons because we don't understand the science behind veganism is fallacious. Virtually any food can be part of a healthy human diet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living