Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2016, 08:39 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,789,983 times

Advertisements

Our town is very walkable and we walk around a lot. If we need just a few items at the grocery store, we will walk down to get them. It's about a 15 minute walk one way. We always worked close to our jobs and my car is a 2002 with only 61k miles. Our truck is an 04 with 83k miles. We insulated our 1911 house and use energy efficient light bulbs.

Eliminating plastic has been difficult. I clean up after my boys every day. I use the grocery bags and that's two or more a day. Sometimes I use 4 of them on our walks. That's a lot of plastic, but what am I supposed to do with the leavings? Put them in a paper biodegradable bag? I can imagine what that would be like on garbage pick up day. I always double bag it on walkies because I have to use public waste baskets to dispose of them and I want to make sure that it's very secure in there. I'm certainly not going to get rid of my dogs and cat to eliminate using so much plastic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2016, 08:54 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,359,835 times
I enjoy animals but I prefer them in their natural environment where I'm not responsible for vet bills, kenneling, or disposing of their droppings. And, yes, I know that makes me almost un-American in other people's eyes.

Old 11-08-2016, 09:26 AM

1,201 posts, read 1,223,164 times
I love red meat. All those cow farts polluting our environment.

Old 11-08-2016, 11:59 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,665,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAjerseychick View Post
eating vegetarian. I hate it. I feel full only with plenty of animal protein and some greens- a steak and some sautéed spinach on the side is my goto meal.
i just need that lean animal protein (my family runs diabetic, I found out, so maybe my aversion to carbs has a genetic basis?)...
I don't need a steak per se, but I really am only satiated after consuming animal protein. Usually it's eggs, but we also have a little ham and chicken each week. On occasion (maybe once a month or so) we'll do salmon or hamburger mixed into casserole.

Old 11-08-2016, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Mine is also driving my gasoline powered car. I love to cruise. I need to go electric.
I like to drive too. Fortunately I realized that for around the neighborhood I like to ride my electric bike even more than driving. It's fun to go places cars can't reach.

Old 11-08-2016, 12:18 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,723,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Our town is very walkable and we walk around a lot. If we need just a few items at the grocery store, we will walk down to get them. It's about a 15 minute walk one way. We always worked close to our jobs and my car is a 2002 with only 61k miles. Our truck is an 04 with 83k miles. We insulated our 1911 house and use energy efficient light bulbs.

Eliminating plastic has been difficult. I clean up after my boys every day. I use the grocery bags and that's two or more a day. Sometimes I use 4 of them on our walks. That's a lot of plastic, but what am I supposed to do with the leavings? Put them in a paper biodegradable bag? I can imagine what that would be like on garbage pick up day. I always double bag it on walkies because I have to use public waste baskets to dispose of them and I want to make sure that it's very secure in there. I'm certainly not going to get rid of my dogs and cat to eliminate using so much plastic.
There are pet bags that are recycled which at least means you are using plastic more than once.

I use these ones The Original Poop Bags but there are a bunch of other ones. The ones I use will break down quickly if composted rather than chucked in the landfill. We have a separate composting area for poo, and it does nicely on flower beds (never food beds).

Also, if you live somewhere warm, they make doggie septic systems.

Old 11-08-2016, 12:23 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,723,474 times
The hardest one for me is not ghosting energy use from chargers plugged into the wall but not into a device. It is negligible but it bothers me.

Old 11-08-2016, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post

I use compostable bags. I don't like them that much.. they don't seem very sturdy to touch, and a part of me is always concerned about getting poo on me , but it hasn't happened yet and as a professional dog walker I have gone through more than a dozen in a day or more.

Old 11-11-2016, 12:45 AM

5 posts, read 6,855 times
I agree with you
Of course it depends on the bus type (diesel, electric,...) and how you drive but... have a look at what I found

Bt it is also a matter of soil use! Less cars = less needs of sreets = more green!
I guess I better go taking my old bycicle out of my garage, take the cobwebs away and get back on the saddle again!?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living