Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2016, 06:40 AM

50,538 posts, read 64,549,019 times

Advertisements

Republicans drink water and breathe air. You global warming fanatics are bordering on ridiculous.
It's not that we don't believe in it, it's that we think it is typical liberal hubris to think humans cause it, or can affect it much.
Global warming is the natural ebb and flow of the earths climate. Could it result in the extinction of some earthdwellers, including humans? Sure it could. Nothing we can do about it.
Taking care of the planet by not taking more than you need, not soiling where you sleep, and leaving things as you found them, are what our ancestors called good manners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2016, 07:36 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,717,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Taking care of the planet by not taking more than you need, not soiling where you sleep, and leaving things as you found them, are what our ancestors called good manners.
We would agree here, except humanity the globe over seems to have lost its "manners".

What would you suggest be done?

Old 11-28-2016, 08:11 AM

50,538 posts, read 64,549,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
We would agree here, except humanity the globe over seems to have lost its "manners".

Honestly, at the risk of being ridiculed, most of the ills of the world are caused by the breakdown of the family structure, and the children being raised without a moral compass.

Old 11-28-2016, 08:32 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,356,104 times
Well said gentlearts

Old 11-28-2016, 09:07 AM

35,511 posts, read 17,421,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Global warming is pure BS designed to make some, like Al Gore, tremendously wealthy while giving more power to idiots that would enslave humanity to their world view.

In 1970 I was attending San Jose State on the first earth day when our instructor passed out a paper detailing what our world would like like in 15 years when we ran out of oil. I remember well a passage that envisioned US Navy ships drifting at sea because they were out of oil to make it to the docks.

PURE BS and I earned a D on my paper when I said so. What I was really saying is the instructor was full of it and she didn't like me questioning her obvious knowledge especially when it came to global cooling and the coming ice age.

I became very ware Globull Warming was BS when it became a political issue between left and right, between republicans and democrats. 17 years ago I knew Globull Warming was a fake and a fraud perpetrated by that piece of human excremental garbage Al Gore.
as we all know, the "problem" of the oil shortage from solved by modestly higher prices and decontrol. While price controls did not yet exist in 1970, power was shifting to oil exporters for a variety of reasons. One of those reasons was the suppression of offshore drilling. Another was the US loss of nerve as a result of Vietnam, and the resulting failure to prevent seizure of offshore oil properties. Politicized and corrupt exporters were lousy at developing oil production.

As far as earning a "D" on a paper, you are in honorable company. When I was in eighth grade, I was threatened with "academic pains" when I added the rat to a list of imported animals to the New World. The teacher had other reasons for not liking me, i.e. that I knew that he was stupid, vengeful and lazy. Expression of that wood but contested points of you should not be subject to a grading penalty.

As for global warming, if you remember around 1970 do you shoe was global cooling, from the same suspects. These are people who want to control, on an international basis, all economic activity in the world. Thus, "the sky is falling" everywhere. Of course, any visit to a government office shows disorganization and dysfunction. The objective of the Kyoto and Paris accords are not climate related; they are revenue related.

One of the points that we should make repeatedly is that there is very little or no warming in cities with temperature records, aside from some urban heat island effect. Most of the warming that these people are alleging is supposedly occurring in the high Arctic and in Antarctica. There are simply no reliable temperature records going back any period of time for these areas. The melting that is occurring is the result of the end of the Ice Age.

I plan to rep this post.

Old 11-28-2016, 10:40 AM

1,618 posts, read 2,636,427 times
Quote:

Nothing. Unless you feel you have the right to order others to have good manners, and basically run every aspect of their life so that it falls into your range of approved behavior, there's nothing you can do in the framework of the respect for individual rights. A surprisingly poignant line from Demolition Man (from the "bad guy" no less): "You can't take away people's right to be a** holes."

Green living is one thing. It's something I'm in favor of, in fact, and I try to be efficient and lower my impact on the planet where I can. But I'm not in favor of forcing my views on others. They have the right to live their own lives as they choose, and it's not for me to decide for them.

Old 11-29-2016, 12:54 AM

30,945 posts, read 37,153,166 times
Quote:
TRUMP says there is "some connectivity" between humans and climate change.

So I'm guessing a few things might have happened:

1) Trump is easing up: He's no longer strongly pandering to the populace most likely to vote for him.
2) Trump is now informed: He's now privy to intelligence he didn't have before becoming President-elect... perhaps the degree to which national security agencies consider climate change a geopolitical conflict threat multiplier.

Trump admits humans have 'some connectivity' on climate change - CNNPolitics.com
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/22/us...ump-visit.html

*Climate scientists and concerned global citizens are collectively taking their first breath since the election*
Climate change is a scam. The real agenda behind it is centralizing power and control on a global level. Here are the testimonies and research from a former Green Party member in the UK as well as a liberal Democrat from California...both came to their conclusions independently of each others and from different angles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipKHqY7uxSg&t=52s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ykELwj1Ta8&t=169s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1xMuE9brkc

Old 11-30-2016, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npaladin2000 View Post
Nothing. Unless you feel you have the right to order others to have good manners, and basically run every aspect of their life so that it falls into your range of approved behavior, there's nothing you can do in the framework of the respect for individual rights. A surprisingly poignant line from Demolition Man (from the "bad guy" no less): "You can't take away people's right to be a** holes."

Green living is one thing. It's something I'm in favor of, in fact, and I try to be efficient and lower my impact on the planet where I can. But I'm not in favor of forcing my views on others. They have the right to live their own lives as they choose, and it's not for me to decide for them.
Okay, fair enough. However what if hitting a certain percentage of a**holes in a society created an existential threat to the whole society? I would say this has happened a lot in the past and why we have both religions and public policy....

I am all about the idea of "live and let live" and I'm personally so independent that I find participating in extended families, religious and social organizations a very constraining exercise... and I want to continue my lifestyle but I'm worried that other people's rigidity is going to infringe on it.

If scientists are saying climate change could cause grave havoc and possibly even existential threat to vast numbers of organisms on this plant... including humans... well, then, I think individuals need lose the right to decide which fuel source they use when dropping the kiddies off at band practice.

Remember this: climate change is only about greenhouse gasses... it's not about restricting every aspect of one's life. What bothers the hell out of me is that the majority of deniers coming in here are convinced that greenies are going to force-feed them granola while we take away all their stuff. It's not that difficult to figure out!

-Federal, state and local government needs to endorse the creation of alternative fuels specific to the kinds of alternative fuels available in the area (which is already happening). We have both hydroelectric and wind farms in my area...

-Government needs to endorse the idea of individuals creating their own energy (which is already happening in the way of rebates and tax credits)... what can possibly be better than an individual supplying their own energy needs???

-Utility companies need to transition their fuel sources to the suppliers using alternative fuels (already happening). Individuals need to transition their cars to electric (definitely happening along the west coast)

-Government needs to give tax cuts and credits to companies investing in cleaner production. Another idea would be to incentivize the auto industry to create more EV models. To be fair though.. the auto industry is already beginning to produce more EV because demand is increasing...

So there... really only one of the things are directed specifically to individuals: getting an electric vehicle. All the other stuff is more about utility companies and how the economy energizes itself.

Honest to goodness... it's not a big deal! Unless you are a stagnating coal worker or fossil fuel executive... and if that's you... well, you've had plenty of time to see the writing on the wall. You need to retrain or push your R&D department to start modeling out new infrastructure for 21st century energy.

Old 11-30-2016, 02:59 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,801,998 times
I tend to think we made the bed and now we have to lie in it. Our hubris has trumped our good sense and now the time has come to pay the consequences. It is unfortunate that we are taking down lots of other species with us but hey, the earth has gone through a few mass extinctions and something will again rise out of the ooze. The warm ooze, that is.

Nothing is forever, and that is especially true in a Darwinian universe in which species get replaced all the time with something more suitable. Maybe it is time for the next species of hominid to evolve.

Old 11-30-2016, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Climate change is a scam. The real agenda behind it is centralizing power and control on a global level. Here are the testimonies and research from a former Green Party member in the UK as well as a liberal Democrat from California...both came to their conclusions independently of each others and from different angles.

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipKHqY7uxSg&t=52s[/url]

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ykELwj1Ta8&t=169s[/url]

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1xMuE9brkc[/url]
There is no agenda in science. I don't know what kind of crap you just posted, but it's not from any credible scientific publication.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living