Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2016, 12:01 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,672,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
Keep using your petroleum products, plastics and heavy metals and destroying the environment.
And you can keep denying who I am and what I do. You can keep denying that the biosphere is in trouble and it's our fault. You can deny it all and it won't matter. Truth and reality don't care about you.

And here is something I won't deny you: You are a troll. You are pathetically wasting your time and energy coming into this forum just to prove you are a king: a proud gargantuan gas-guzzling, wasteful polluter.

Awesome. Congratulations.

Now go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2016, 12:05 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,740,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
It's not my leap, it's your leap. Where is your sources? Hmm?
Pirrone, Nicola, Gerald J. Keeler, and Jerome O. Nriagu. "Regional differences in worldwide emissions of mercury to the atmosphere." Atmospheric Environment 30.17 (1996): 2981-2987.

Pacyna, Jozef M., and Elisabeth G. Pacyna. "An assessment of global and regional emissions of trace metals to the atmosphere from anthropogenic sources worldwide." Environmental Reviews 9.4 (2001): 269-298.

Quote:
As far as those regulations you are so eagerly supporting....

If you are mathematically challenged that is about a 50 to 70 percent reduction in emissions resulting in a 1 to 10 percent reduction in deposition.
You submitted a white paper as proof? It is not peer reviewed. Do you understand the difference? Apparently not.

And yes, if the majority of MeHg goes to the global reservoir you would expect there to be a reduced amount remaining in the local system, and an even smaller amount being directly deposited in freshwater. So what is your point? That reductions don't directly to translate to every ecosystem at the same time? Well, duh.

Old 11-13-2016, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Which group has the proper temperature the earth should be and why? Cause without that simple piece of information they are just making things up.
So I take it you haven't bothered to look at any of those graphs?

Look clearly you need an over simplistic answer. The real world is complicated, global temperatures occur within a range, with a specific standard deviation, outside of that range and deviation, is not "normal" for this particular section of the Milankovitch cycle. This is apparently not the simple answer you want, but that does not mean those of us who actually study science don't understand the complexities.

Old 11-13-2016, 12:20 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,687,353 times
I expect it will be up to the States to determine policy.

I'm certain California will continue as business as usual and many times Oregon and Washington are in step with California.

As a collection of States the possibilities are almost endless.

I doubt the renewable energy mandate or cap and trade are going away in California.

When you really think about it why shouldn't individual States decide instead of being dictated to from Washington?

Old 11-13-2016, 01:41 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,799,372 times
Just because a state is sitting on a great lump of coal they can make a lot of money selling does not mean it makes any sense for the rest of us to buy and burn the stuff.

to answer the title question "How do we protect the environment with a Republican Clean Sweep ?" is we probably cannot. We can expect the Endangered Species Act to be repealed because it can block exploitative development. I think the Clean Air and Clean Water legislation to stay on the books except for provisions that let overgrazed pasture streams to be continuously contaminated by cow s***. Even if these pasture streams are the sources of much of our drinking water.

Please note that our president elect is very concerned about the environment involving the top floors of a NYC skyscraper and the many golf courses he plays at around the globe.

Old 11-13-2016, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I expect it will be up to the States to determine policy.

I'm certain California will continue as business as usual and many times Oregon and Washington are in step with California.

As a collection of States the possibilities are almost endless.

I doubt the renewable energy mandate or cap and trade are going away in California.

When you really think about it why shouldn't individual States decide instead of being dictated to from Washington?
Because pollution does not stay within state boundaries.

Old 11-13-2016, 01:46 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,770,781 times
Quote:
Which group has the proper temperature the earth should be and why? Cause without that simple piece of information they are just making things up.
Every year the AGU - American Geophysical Union - has a great conference in San Francisco to present new research papers and discuss issues. It is a lot of fun and San Fran is a great city. I suggest you go next year and present your research on what you are pointing out in your post. It might be something they have not considered.

Old 11-13-2016, 01:57 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,687,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Because pollution does not stay within state boundaries.
All that means is it is time again to lead by example... as mentioned, California, Oregon and Washington are very much in sync and represent a huge block of the United States.

If I were to put into a few words the reason Trump won against all the odds it is because too many people are tired of being dictated to from a Central Government and have felt for a long time left out.

Michael Moore presented an excellent piece describing the heartland of America and if he can see the question is why couldn't others?

Old 11-13-2016, 02:28 PM

5,162 posts, read 4,490,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Every year the AGU - American Geophysical Union - has a great conference in San Francisco to present new research papers and discuss issues. It is a lot of fun and San Fran is a great city. I suggest you go next year and present your research on what you are pointing out in your post. It might be something they have not considered.
I bet they get a lot of tax money to go to conferences like this. I doubt they are going to kill the fatted calf they have created.

But still you refuse to answer the most critical question. What is the best temperature for the earth and why?

Old 11-13-2016, 02:42 PM

5,162 posts, read 4,490,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
All that means is it is time again to lead by example... as mentioned, California, Oregon and Washington are very much in sync and represent a huge block of the United States.

If I were to put into a few words the reason Trump won against all the odds it is because too many people are tired of being dictated to from a Central Government and have felt for a long time left out.

Michael Moore presented an excellent piece describing the heartland of America and if he can see the question is why couldn't others?
I have no respect for Michael Moore. IMHO he is out to make money for himself and no lie or trick is out of bounds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living