Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2016, 07:52 AM

15,844 posts, read 20,668,572 times

Advertisements

I think the main take away from the election, at least in my eyes, is when Hillary stopped in PA and proclaimed that she would put a lot of coal workers out of work as she pushed for clean energy.

Sounds great right? Clean air for everyone?

Problem is what if you live in a town with a coal plant, and that's the only decent work around? Shutting down that coal plant means putting blue collar workers out of work. I think that's why so many of middle America jumped on the Trump bandwagon.

I'm sure a lot of americans are all for protecting the environment, until it hits them in the wallet or destroys their livelihood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2016, 08:13 AM

2,678 posts, read 2,250,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
Now that the Republicans have taken power and have control of Congress, the presidency, and soon probably also the Supreme Court how do we protect our environment? I assume they will now attack clean air and water regulations and allow companies to pollute all they want to . What can we who care about the environment do to continue to protect it when those who make the rules do not?

You're worried about nothing. The dirtiest countries in the world are Leftist countries. The USA is the most environmentally conscious in the world. And the Republicans are responsible for creating national parks, the EPA, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration and a host of other initiatives. Stop believing in Democrat mythology. Have more faith in your fellow citizens. We love our clean country and national parks, and we can ALL be proud of that.

Old 11-18-2016, 08:50 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,702,133 times
Hey, I lived it. I remember global cooling, I remember global warming and now I see climate change. I'm glad you see it, I see it too.

Why are you contributing to "climate change" and pollution by using a computers and power?I answered this one earlier. The most eco-friendly decision would be to eliminate my existence and that of my family and everyone around me. Are you suggesting I need to take that route in order to justify my lifestyle?

Like most in the upper middle class I need a computer to do my job. I use technology to schedule clients, communicate with them, advertise for more business. Soon I'll be set up to accept online payments. I also use technology to help me in my chores. I don't own cookbooks and rely entirely on cooking blogs, specifically budgetbytes. I moved away from family and friends 15 years ago and I use technology to communicate with them. Sometimes I even use it to waste time.. like right now.

When I lived in the community next door (Seattle) 94% of the fuel source was renewable (mostly hydro), now we're at 40% renewable (hydro and wind mostly). Along with 43,000 customers, I also pay an additional $6 a month to buy off sets. Our energy provider will buy more renewable if we're willing to pay for it. Many of us are. My fee covers a little more than what we use each month so I'm helping to offset another customer. It's not perfect, but it's going in the right direction.

I also don't value regional pollution, like toxic chemicals as much as I do quick, global destruction by climate change. You can judge me for that. I don't care.

And welcome back! I hope you enjoyed your time off. Thanks! I got caught up on a lot of pending things...

Old 11-18-2016, 09:39 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,509,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
I'm glad you see it, I see it too.

I answered this one earlier. The most eco-friendly decision would be to eliminate my existence and that of my family and everyone around me. Are you suggesting I need to take that route in order to justify my lifestyle?

If that is what you expect of others, and it seems it is what you expect of others, who am I to stop you?
Quote:
Like most in the upper middle class I need a computer to do my job. I use technology to schedule clients, communicate with them, advertise for more business. Soon I'll be set up to accept online payments. I also use technology to help me in my chores. I don't own cookbooks and rely entirely on cooking blogs, specifically budgetbytes. I moved away from family and friends 15 years ago and I use technology to communicate with them. Sometimes I even use it to waste time.. like right now.
Quote:

None of this sounds environmentally responsible. It does sound like what a lot of people do so maybe you should seek to build consensus on realistic changes and move from there instead of being hostile and alienating people.
Quote:
When I lived in the community next door (Seattle) 94% of the fuel source was renewable (mostly hydro), now we're at 40% renewable (hydro and wind mostly).

LOVE Seattle.Maybe we can get the whole country to move up to the Pacific Northwest to partake of that eco friendly hydro power?
Quote:
Along with 43,000 customers, I also pay an additional $6 a month to buy off sets. Our energy provider will buy more renewable if we're willing to pay for it. Many of us are. My fee covers a little more than what we use each month so I'm helping to offset another customer. It's not perfect, but it's going in the right direction.
But power is just one part of it, and just because you are partaking of hydro electric power does not exempt you from the overall power usage. The toxins used in and to produce your electronics are pollutants too.

You just happen to live in a region where they have it. This is why Microsoft and Google and perhaps others are building datacenters in Washington State.

You think you can look down your nose at other people but you are part of the problem too.
Quote:

I also don't value regional pollution, like toxic chemicals as much as I do quick, global destruction by climate change. You can judge me for that. I don't care.
Quick global destruction? LOL
Quote:
Thanks! I got caught up on a lot of pending things...

Old 11-18-2016, 10:03 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,091,400 times
Democrats are beholden to corporations as well. This election was a backlash against the corrupt establishment of both parties. Hopefully Trump eventually comes around realizes that renewables are the future and not fossil fuels.

Old 11-18-2016, 10:10 AM

13,684 posts, read 20,842,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
Now that the Republicans have taken power and have control of Congress, the presidency, and soon probably also the Supreme Court how do we protect our environment? I assume they will now attack clean air and water regulations and allow companies to pollute all they want to . What can we who care about the environment do to continue to protect it when those who make the rules do not?
Persuasion without hysteria.

After all, it was a Republican- Richard Nixon no less- who created the EPA.

Old 11-18-2016, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
[/b]If that is what you expect of others, and it seems it is what you expect of others, who am I to stop you?

None of this sounds environmentally responsible. It does sound like what a lot of people do so maybe you should seek to build consensus on realistic changes and move from there instead of being hostile and alienating people.

LOVE Seattle.Maybe we can get the whole country to move up to the Pacific Northwest to partake of that eco friendly hydro power?
[b]
But power is just one part of it, and just because you are partaking of hydro electric power does not exempt you from the overall power usage. The toxins used in and to produce your electronics are pollutants too.

You just happen to live in a region where they have it. This is why Microsoft and Google and perhaps others are building datacenters in Washington State.

You think you can look down your nose at other people but you are part of the problem too.

Quick global destruction? LOL
Of course, I'm part of the problem.. and I never said I wasn't. But right now I'm playing defense because I have schmucks constantly coming into this forum (which ought to be for sharing ideas or in the struggle in managing to make better choices) and telling me that either 1) the entire premise for green living is wrong and we're just a bunch of wackos 2) we're not only wrong for trying to live greener, but we're wrong in how we live greener.

I think you've done both to me and others in this forum so that would explain some of that hostility and alienation you are sensing: Try to see it from our angle.

I realize that I am part of the problem, but instead of just shrugging my shoulders in defeat saying, "well that's just the way it is" I am at least willing to face myself in the mirror and call it out.. look for ways that makes my time on this planet a little less polluting to the biggest challenges we face.

Say, why don't you tell us what you do to live a cleaner, less polluting life? When you do, we can compare and if you come out on top then you win the right to be condescending and tell me I'm looking down on you and I'm not being responsible.

Let's hear it buddy, I'm all ears..

Old 11-18-2016, 10:46 AM

And believe me, it feels that the entire country is trying to move here right now. Climate change, booming economy and a fantastic quality of life are several factors why.

Old 11-18-2016, 11:01 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,509,842 times
Quote:
Of course, I'm part of the problem.. and I never said I wasn't. But right now I'm playing defense because I have schmucks constantly coming into this forum (which ought to be for sharing ideas or in the struggle in managing to make better choices) and telling me that either 1) the entire premise for green living is wrong and we're just a bunch of wackos 2) we're not only wrong for trying to live greener, but we're wrong in how we live greener.

I think you've done both to me and others in this forum so that would explain some of that hostility and alienation you are sensing: Try to see it from our angle.

I realize that I am part of the problem, but instead of just shrugging my shoulders in defeat saying, "well that's just the way it is" I am at least willing to face myself in the mirror and call it out.. look for ways that makes my time on this planet a little less polluting to the biggest challenges we face.

Say, why don't you tell us what you do to live a cleaner, less polluting life? When you do, we can compare and if you come out on top then you win the right to be condescending and tell me I'm looking down on you and I'm not being responsible.

Let's hear it buddy, I'm all ears..
I really do not care about your green living and do not usually get involved in the whole thing. People probably come here for the same reason I did. They go into a thread and see an interesting or provocative thread title on the right.

If you do not want "outsiders" in "your" forum just ask the mods to exempt this from the thread roulette in the right scroll or at least have boring titles.

When someone posts a thread with the title "How do we protect the environment with a Republican Clean Sweep ?" after a controversial election you should expect people to come check it out.

You do not wish for people to come in here and tell you that you are "wrong" but you have no problem saying other people are wrong. That is hypocritical and unrealistic.

Quote:
And believe me, it feels that the entire country is trying to move here right now. Climate change, booming economy and a fantastic quality of life are several factors why.
I am not sure that climate change has much if anything to do with it. I do like Seattle a lot, it is a nice city. If I moved there climate change would not be part of the equation at all.

One thing I did notice is that there is a lot of land being cleared so I am not sure how green people really are.

Old 11-18-2016, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
I really do not care about your green living and do not usually get involved in the whole thing. People probably come here for the same reason I did. They go into a thread and see an interesting or provocative thread title on the right.

If you do not want "outsiders" in "your" forum just ask the mods to exempt this from the thread roulette in the right scroll or at least have boring titles.

When someone posts a thread with the title "How do we protect the environment with a Republican Clean Sweep ?" after a controversial election you should expect people to come check it out.

You do not wish for people to come in here and tell you that you are "wrong" but you have no problem saying other people are wrong. That is hypocritical and unrealistic.

I am not sure that climate change has much if anything to do with it. I do like Seattle a lot, it is a nice city. If I moved there climate change would not be part of the equation at all.

One thing I did notice is that there is a lot of land being cleared so I am not sure how green people really are.
Oh, so you're not going to talk about how you live green..

Okay..

You do realize of course that it completely invalidates anything you say to me?

You have no leg to stand on.

None.

Seattle has always been constrained by water on nearly all sides. There hasn't been much to clear for quite some time and now we're going up, not out. I am in a bedroom community and we just raised our height restrictions. In another 15-20 years we'll even have our own little downtown where the current industrial area is. Thank goodness.. what we have is basically a big ugly parking lot..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living