Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2017, 07:42 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,065,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
The government established the National Park system. No state can afford to pay for a National park all by itself. We all have to pitch in for our country.......
Really??

There are lots of state parks that better than National Parks. Trust me...as a former NPS employee National Parks are real cheap when it comes to the Federal budget.

That part of your statement is bogus. The rest is fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2017, 11:49 AM

9,185 posts, read 6,357,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo Driver View Post
Now you're talkin!

I'm an environmentalist - not because I believe the crap Al Gore spews, but because I actually am DOING something about it.

I drive the most efficient vehicles I can (I need a truck), I super-insulate and seal up all my houses, we recycle and garden (we water the garden with collected rain water), and I have planted (literally) thousands of trees over the last 40 years.

If everyone would get off social media and start actually DOING something positive for the environment, we'd make some serious progress.
Same here. Green living initiatives should not be shoved down people's throats using government and regulations. The green living ideas need to demonstrate value to people. If people see value in them they will jump on board without being forced.

Last fall I had a ground source heat pump system installed in my house. I did it because I do not want to have to buy heating fuel year after year after year. Sunlight hits the ground around my house most of the year and the ground stores it as heat. When winter comes around the ground source heat pump extracts that stored heat and uses it to heat the house. In the warmer months the system runs in reverse for A/C and sends the heat from the house back into the ground to be used the following winter. It is eloquently efficient and money well spent as far as I am concerned.

I also replaced two toilets with low-flow Toto brand toilets. The Totos live up to their stellar reputation. I installed them to reduce wear and tear on my septic system and enable me to reduce the water I pull from my water well.

Next up in 2017 will be upgrading the insulation and sealing up the house. If a green living idea makes sense for me financially, I usually embrace it.

....and for the record I usually vote Republican.

Old 04-02-2017, 12:08 PM

13,080 posts, read 7,554,563 times
^ So did you git the washlet bidet to assesorize the toto's and to SAVE the Trees?

Old 04-02-2017, 12:26 PM

35,205 posts, read 17,114,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Same here. Green living initiatives should not be shoved down people's throats using government and regulations. The green living ideas need to demonstrate value to people. If people see value in them they will jump on board without being forced.

Last fall I had a ground source heat pump system installed in my house. I did it because I do not want to have to buy heating fuel year after year after year. Sunlight hits the ground around my house most of the year and the ground stores it as heat. When winter comes around the ground source heat pump extracts that stored heat and uses it to heat the house. In the warmer months the system runs in reverse for A/C and sends the heat from the house back into the ground to be used the following winter. It is eloquently efficient and money well spent as far as I am concerned.

I also replaced two toilets with low-flow Toto brand toilets. The Totos live up to their stellar reputation. I installed them to reduce wear and tear on my septic system and enable me to reduce the water I pull from my water well.

Next up in 2017 will be upgrading the insulation and sealing up the house. If a green living idea makes sense for me financially, I usually embrace it.

....and for the record I usually vote Republican.
Buying green is fine when it makes sense. Unfortunately many green products cost more, are less effective, and don't do much for the environment other than assuage guilt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo Driver View Post
Now you're talkin!

I'm an environmentalist - not because I believe the crap Al Gore spews, but because I actually am DOING something about it.************
If everyone would get off social media and start actually DOING something positive for the environment, we'd make some serious progress.
I actually supported with money and volunteer time the reintroduction of the wolf to Yellowstone. And I even petted an animal yesterday that by chromosomes and genetics is about 97% wolf.

Old 04-02-2017, 12:28 PM

9,185 posts, read 6,357,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
^ So did you git the washlet bidet to assesorize the toto's and to SAVE the Trees?
No I am not overly familiar with bidets and I am not ready to make that change. That is something else to research and maybe change to in the future.

Old 04-02-2017, 12:32 PM

35,205 posts, read 17,114,091 times
Quote:
No I am not overly familiar with bidets and I am not ready to make that change. That is something else to research and maybe change to in the future.
I would love having a bidet. The problem is that my bathroom space won't allow it.

The bidets solve a problem I discussed in a thread on which I was the OP, Environmental Friendliness" Inefficient, Counterproductive and Costly, where I pointed out that in earlier days "folding the toilet paper twice gave me a clean rectum and clean fingers" and that "(n)ow four-folding gives neither."

Old 04-02-2017, 12:33 PM

I have to add, IMO, the more the Donald, and his chamberlins, talk, the more stupid they appear.
Isn't tweeting wonderful.

Old 04-02-2017, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Then you want to keep the other end as green as the top end of the body.
We haven't done a septic pump in 15 years. But then it's just the two of us the last 15. And both of us are full of ourselves.

Skip the drier function, takes too long.

Old 04-02-2017, 04:22 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,102,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Najt View Post
I think so, do you?
Republicans gave us the EPA, the clean air and clean water acts. Republicans gave us NASA, and the FDA.

We will do OK with Republicans in charge, under Democrats rivers were literally on fire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living